Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: WayForward wants to make a 2D Castlevania game  (Read 24198 times)

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: WayForward wants to make a 2D Castlevania game
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »
I always thought of this:

- Castlevania 5
- Is a direct sequel to the first two games and stars Simon's son, Peter Belmont(Simon Peter, LOL)
- Takes place in the early 1700s(maybe 1720s)
- In the vein of the traditional CVs with a lot of ideas from SCV4(particularly gameplay).
- Story has hints of Dracula, but he's not the main villain. Probably focus on another vampire, like Carmilla or Elizabeth Bartley as the main antagonist.
- Branching paths like RoB, secret stages and lots of alternate boss battles. Because of this, lots of replayability.

This is something I can get behind. Make it beautiful as hell, get Jake Kaufman to score it(maybe even get Yamane to contribute, like how Shovel Knight has Matsumae doing a few songs)! Lots of winks to classic CV fans, and an overall polished experience. Release it for handhelds and home consoles(digital). Fuck yeah! Sold, baby!!

Absolutely THIS. Maybe more players, like Alucard, Sypha and Grant from CVIII. This would be a great return to the Castlevania´s roots (without spite or offend to MS´s Lords of Shadow :)).

That Bloodrayne Betrayal OST was great. Dusk Falls to me was a wink to Castlevania :D.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:55:58 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
Guys please don't set yourselves up for disappointment. It's only gonna hurt worse once it's revealed that Wayforward isn't doing the next Castlevania.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »
+1
Yes its true, but dreaming cost nothing :)
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 03:14:15 PM »
+1
I just want another game that stars a Belmont who goes around and defeats everybody who stands in his way.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
+4
Quote from: beingthehero
What's wrong with OoE? Also, boobies.

it didnt have a whip glyph  :(

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
+1
Wayforward would be cool. But I would still prefer Vanillaware.

However, I would way, way rather the next developer make their own storyline. There's nothing to be gained by revisiting the convoluted storyline that IGA put together. The LOS storyline was a little disappointing as well.

I have faith that either of these two developers could give us a better storyline.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
So basically a Harmony of Dissonance prequel about one of Juste's parents. Did Harmony of Dissonance make any mention of them? Whether it was his father or mother that was from the Belmont lineage?
It doesn't even have to reference HoD at all. What if it was a pure fresh start that only takes CV1-3 into account and follows SCV4 in gameplay? Basically as classic CV as classic can get, with no direct ties to any of the IGA games.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
Castlevania 5 would be glorious.

I suppose for Japan it would be Akumajo [subject here]

or it could just do away with numbers all together. just call it "Castlevania". One word, no special naming conventions.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 04:25:10 PM »
+3
It doesn't even need to be in any canon, make another non-canon game like Circle of the Moon if they really want to.

Gameplay is what matters the most to me. I just want to whip some candles and die a lot.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 05:16:03 PM »
+1
I wouldn't trust CV V to anyone but Masahiro Ueno, and he's still at Konami so get on it!

Everything comes full circle

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »
+2
Wayfoward is too busy with this

and it will be awesome

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/29/wonder-momo-game-anime-revival-coming-from-wayforward/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:47:09 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 08:26:52 PM »
What's wrong with OoE?

Aside from the awful level design, nothing really.

My objection to the idea of an OoE sequel doesn't stem from the game itself, which was fine enough. It stems from the fact that if we were able to get an AA, or even an A budget 2D Castlevania developed by WayForward, the last thing I would want it to be would be a sequel to the game that could be argued to have one of the most insignificant/gaiden stories in the timeline.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
+2
Aside from the awful level design, nothing really.

My objection to the idea of an OoE sequel doesn't stem from the game itself, which was fine enough. It stems from the fact that if we were able to get an AA, or even an A budget 2D Castlevania developed by WayForward, the last thing I would want it to be would be a sequel to the game that could be argued to have one of the most insignificant/gaiden stories in the timeline.

Ecclesia's level design was one of the best introduced in the series, along with the "big map" mechanic. I found PoR's level design much weaker in comparison, and when Ecclesia came out, I felt avenged. It was everything that the other DSVanias were not: Beautiful art, beautiful gameplay, beautiful difficulty, beautiful mechanics AND beautiful level design.

I see absolutelly nothing wrong with having a sequel to Order of Ecclesia. It could even reintroduce and reinforce the "Where the heck are the Belmonts?" idea. Could tell us a story about the curse of the stain being broken, and even have it be related somehow to Shanoa and the knowledge about the Belmonts that she might have gathered from the villagers (specifically, Daniela). Ecclesia is over, no other Dracula-fighting clan stands. Shanoa seems like the best catalyst to go seek out the answer for the Belmont-abscence riddle.

Also:
the last thing I would want it to be would be a sequel to the game that could be argued to have one of the most insignificant/gaiden stories in the timeline.

So, you argue that Shanoa finding descendants (a whole village of them, in fact) to the Belmonts when it was believed that they had disappeared, and discovering that Dracula's power can be dissected and used against him, along with informing us that there ARE other institutions bent in fighting Dracula aside the church, is one of the most insignificant stories in the timeline?

Holy crap.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:08:26 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »

The level design in Order of Ecclesia was flat and uninspired. It was chock full of long and flat hallways that were interspersed with vertical "stair" rooms, and the best word I can think of to describe a lot of the larger rooms is "zig-zag". It also had its fair share of reused rooms as well. I particularly remembering one mountain level using the same bridge room at least three times. It tried to be a modern day Simon's Quest but suffered from the same design problem, in that every encounter needed to be easily accessible from both sides due to the need for backtracking. This led to a lot of "floaty" enemies and "wall" enemies, and not a lot of laid out encounters like something you'd see in any of the Classicvanias or memorable rooms like Symphony of the Night.

So, you argue that Shanoa finding descendants (a whole village of them, in fact) to the Belmonts when it was believed that they had disappeared, and discovering that Dracula's power can be dissected and used against him, along with informing us that there ARE other institutions bent in fighting Dracula aside the church, is one of the most insignificant stories in the timeline?

Holy crap.

Umm, yes?

Any complexity the story may have is nullified by the fact that it doesn't matter. So you find Belmonts. So what? It doesn't have any ramifications to the overarching storyline other than the fact that they still exist, which is something we already know because of AoS and DoS. And Ecclesia may be unique as an order, but its not unique in its status of being a non-church entity bent on fighting Dracula. Heck, the Belmonts aren't even always allied with the church.

That, and I've never liked the Belmont disappearance to begin with. The original explanation was just that other Belmont-daughter families took over the job, which made sense, but IGA had to go and make it a thing with meaning, yet never gave it any other meaning. IMO, it was just a means to the end of getting non-Belmonts into the spolight gameplay-wise.

It feels like a gaiden, and it should remain a one-off gaiden.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:41:18 PM by e105beta »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 10:40:20 PM »
Mmm.... eeeehhhh... I know I wanted this before. If it were approved by an alternate universe Konami that likes to spend money on franchises and doesn't rush the hell out of its hired developers I'd be more interested.

WayForward's stuff is really hit-or-miss to me. Contra 4 was phenomenal. Double Dragon Neon was hilarious and had fantastic music, but the RPG bits just got in the way. The Shantae games have fun characters but the games themselves are not terribly interesting. Ducktales looks gorgeous, but has little to offer over the NES one besides that. Bloodrayne looks great and sounds great, but the combat is strange and convoluted.

I'd like the next CV to be focused on interesting, challenging level design and not tons of RPG elements or a needless combo system. If they could nail that I'd be on board.

Tags:

anything