Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Q&A  (Read 26243 times)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »
Yay! A thread for asking questions! (and hopefully getting answered!)  ONLY CV BASED QUESTIONS. NO CV FANGAME QUESTIONS. NO FAN ANYTHING.   First question: Why did Alucard call himself Kid Dracula if he doesn't like his father? (at all)

ONLY 2 QUESTIONS PER POST!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:51:40 PM by ZeroSaberGreen »
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
They're not the same character, it's a fan invention.   

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
Okay.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
why does Alucard have to wear his 18th century outfit to unlock his true power in DoS i mean shouldnt his power come from within, not his clothes

what happened to the Librarian, how did he become trapped in the castle, is he good or evil

whats the deal with lyuudimil or whatever being alucards servant in Nocturne of Recollection

why didnt Dracula turn hector y isaac into vampires during their employ?

why doesnt Death have any role in the plot of AoS/DoS

why was Hammer cut as a playable character in DoS

why was that 5th ending where maria turns into a monster deleted from SotN?

why does Galamoth have a grudge against Dracula?

where was Dracula in the 15 years between cv Adventure & Belmont's Revenge?

what exact year does OoE take place?

what was the purpose of the Lost Soul in MoF

why cant the Belmonts touch the whip until 1999

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
why does Alucard have to wear his 18th century outfit to unlock his true power in DoS i mean shouldnt his power come from within, not his clothes
No budget to sprite him in a suit fully playable. Reused sprites, as per Castlevania staple.

If you want a story reason, maybe he's just better equipped to fight in that outfit. Or he just likes it.

what happened to the Librarian, how did he become trapped in the castle, is he good or evil
No one knows. It seem implied hes pretty evil, and he's been alive since the days of CV3 at least, just never shown. I see him as a cowardly type who hides when the Belmonts come knocking.

whats the deal with lyuudimil or whatever being alucards servant in Nocturne of Recollection
I never saw all of the translation that I recall, but it seemed like he was a familiar like those from SotN, or at least played the role of one.

Maybe he didn't feel they were worthy? It seemed like Dracula also found amusement in their rebellion against humanity, while still being human too. Dracula would eat up that irony, given his past and grudges.

I've always questioned this. Death would have been a PHENOMENAL character in those stories. He has HUGE potential as he has such a long history with Dracula. He has vested interest in the outcome of this battle.

The best I could think of would be, simply, Death agrees that Soma must die in order to resurrect Dracula, and he's willing to do it himself. Pity there's no dialog to back up any of it though.

On the side though, its said that Dracula absorbed the Crimson Stone into his soul (not sure how that works but whatever), and since the Crimson Stone is what Dracula uses to control Death, wouldn't Soma be able to control death, having the same soul as Dracula?

That would have been really epic, having Death fight Soma but Soma realizing that power and using Death as an ally. And maybe Death is ok with that?

"I've been waiting for your call, my Master. I had to awaken you by force."

why was Hammer cut as a playable character in DoS
Budget and time. Sprites take time and money. Something they clearly were not allowed to have with the portables.

why was that 5th ending where maria turns into a monster deleted from SotN?
Could also be time and money issues. No one really knows. It's common for things to just be left out though, when the team feels it doesn't work or fit anymore.

Kid Dracula. It really is probably an inside joke related to that. Wish they expanded upon it though. It could have been an interesting plot point somewhere along the line.

It takes him time to recover from his body being destroyed. He was beaten, just not killed. Likely just hiding and recovering.

what exact year does OoE take place?
Unknown, but does it matter completely? The story works regardless.

From my understanding, it was the Mirror of Fate's 'minion' so to speak. It's meant to guide the people who are tied to the mirror (who hold a piece?) along the path the mirror demands.

why cant the Belmonts touch the whip until 1999
Cooties. Honestly I'm not sure. The more we see of the series the less likely I am to believe it has to do with the whip being tainted in some manner, referencing SotN's ending.

I'm starting to think it was elective on the part of the Belmonts. It may be their form of power training, not relying on the whip will make them a lot stronger. Maybe there was more focus on utilizing relics and holy power. I mean, old man Julius unleashed the Holy Cross and the castle itself started to crumble in AoS.

The Belmonts may have just felt that relying on the power of the whip was making them feel too complacent. It's hard to say since there are no concrete references that lend any real hint.

The Lecarde family being the key to unlock the whip may or may not have a part in the actual reason it was handed to the Morris family or not. It's all rather mysterious still.

The only other thing I can think of is the Belmonts were busy endorsing and doing their own research into ways to completely kill off Dracula (which OoE might have been a part of that plan). This has some credence as we know Julius went into the 1999 battle with a specific plan to end Dracula's resurrection cycle.

That's all I got.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
Why does crisis ask so many CV related questions?

Offline K.K. Drunkinski

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
How does Dracula have the Frankenstein Monster as a minion as far back as the 1400s, when the Monster wasn't created until the 1800s? And if he was simply created earlier in the CV mythos, how did he get those clothes that are obviously from a much later century?

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »

No one knows. It seem implied hes pretty evil, and he's been alive since the days of CV3 at least, just never shown. I see him as a cowardly type who hides when the Belmonts come knocking.

I think it's pretty clear from SotN that he's more motivated by money than a loyalty to Dracula or anything else.  Maybe he does hide from the Belmonts, but I think he'd help them just the same as he did Alucard if they were paying customers.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »
How does Dracula have the Frankenstein Monster as a minion as far back as the 1400s, when the Monster wasn't created until the 1800s? And if he was simply created earlier in the CV mythos, how did he get those clothes that are obviously from a much later century?

Castlevania was a blend of all the classic horror themed monsters putting count Dracula at the head of the pack. It was not meant to be taken seriously. The designers never thought that Castlevania would evolve into the juggernaut it is today and they never created a complex story to explain the details either. Back then it was putting together a fun, campy Halloween-esque game that even today, lives in infamy.

I think it's pretty clear from SotN that he's more motivated by money than a loyalty to Dracula or anything else.  Maybe he does hide from the Belmonts, but I think he'd help them just the same as he did Alucard if they were paying customers.

I think the Belmonts would have to fork over a heck of a lot more then Alucard has in order to even begin to employ the librarian's services. Alucard and the librarian already knew each other from days gone by so there was no conflict between them. The Belmonts on the other hand are sworn enemies of Dracula, and the librarian has absolutely no business in dealing with those who would destroy his lord and Castlevania. Since the librarian lives in Castlevania it's beneficial to him not to help Dracula's enemies succeed. Alucard is so-far the only known exception to this rule.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:57:50 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 07:26:13 PM »
Why were there motorcycle-riding skeletons in the 1800s?

Why does Graham think he's Dracula just on the basis that "he was born the same day Dracula died" when I'm preeeeeetty sure there were several hundred OTHER people born that same day?

Where were the two Devil Forgemasters during the "war" in Dracula's Curse? I mean, their power was said to rival Death himself. I'm PRETTY DAMN SURE they could've kept the Belmont out of the castle for a little while.

Why doesn't Dracula ever employ a different strategy rather than I WILL WAIT YOU HERE, BELMONDO.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »

It is a mystery. We may never know the answer.

;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:06:45 PM by Ratty »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 04:56:33 AM »
Infinite heaps of speculation will follow. Read at your own risk.

We're never given an answer as to *how* Alucard locked his powers, and this might just be the answer. Considering that Alucard draws his power from his garment on SotN, then he could have his powers locked on his garment. Thus, by equiping it again, his powers are brought back. Just like the "Alucart" status can be summoned by equipping Alucart equipment.

Since the castle is ever changing, and by what happens when Richter meets the Master Librarian, it's safe to assume that the Librarian is not met all the time.

My personal hypothesis is that the Librarian Master is a ghostly appearance from the seller that got trapped in the castle on Harmony of Dissonance, and he refuses to help Belmonts as a grudge, because Juste left him there to die. Also, he wants you to pay because this is one of the material traits he clutched upon his death. As a seller, money was his life, and now as a ghost, he still craves money.

Maybe because he needed humans to do his bidding, just like Bram Stoker's Dracula needs. By removing their humanity, Hector and Isaac would be perceived as vampires by the populace, would be hunted, would be vulnerable by all sorts of anti vampire weapons, would not be able to walk under the sun etc etc

Because Dracula is not there. Soma is, and he activelly refuses to be Dracula. Thus, what use is for Soma to be alive? Better kill him and have the dark lord reincarnate once more. This is also expanded upon a tiny bit on that novel "Ricordanza of the God Abyss".

This is one good question. I wonder if Dracula defeated Galamoth in battle and enslaved him or something like this.

I think he was hidden inside infant Soleyu

What was the purpose of anything on that god forsaken game?

Now for Claim's questions:

Why does Graham think he's Dracula just on the basis that "he was born the same day Dracula died" when I'm preeeeeetty sure there were several hundred OTHER people born that same day?

Well, he probably knows about the Dark Lord Candidates thing. The "With Light" cult already exists, and Dario and Dmitrii are already members in it. Furthermore, he was born on the day Dracula died PLUS he's got powers. We just never see him using these powers. He DOES get through the castle safe enough to make it to the throne room. If he has powers AND was born in the same day, then couple this with delusions of grandeur and bam!

Where were the two Devil Forgemasters during the "war" in Dracula's Curse? I mean, their power was said to rival Death himself. I'm PRETTY DAMN SURE they could've kept the Belmont out of the castle for a little while.

There is a Curse of Darkness manga explaining this. Basically, Hector ran away as the war started, and Dracula sent Isaac after him, and that's it. The manga even shows them both sensing the exact moment that Dracula is killed offscreen as they battle each other far away.

Why doesn't Dracula ever employ a different strategy rather than I WILL WAIT YOU HERE, BELMONDO.

If I were a vampire which needed time to restore my powers, I damn sure would not face Belmont until he got to the highest tower, where I am resting drinking blood and performing rituals. It's strategy (And judging by the number of times we die on the game, it's a freaking good strategy, realistically speaking).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:58:24 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline K.K. Drunkinski

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 06:09:26 AM »
Alright, with the question about the Frankenstein Monster, I was being a bit of a smartass, and already knew the obvious answer, but here's a real question I don't know the answer to:

While most are concerned about the gap left in the whole War of 1999 business, what I wanna know is, what exactly is the CV take on what happened with the Quincey Morris stuff? It obviously is NOT a direct acceptance of the events of the novel, because it is stated in CV lore that John Morris witnessed his father's death when his dad helped destroy Dracula, and if you're familiar with that book at all, Quincey most certainly did not have a child accompanying him during the final part of chasing Drac back to his castle.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 07:19:57 AM »
Hmm... interesting tags you've got there, OP. :P

Why were there motorcycle-riding skeletons in the 1800s?

If you play the game, you learn that the vampire minions Dracula has employed have had enough time to start to create devices that, anachronistically, have yet to be designed by the human populace.  This includes, but is not limited to, motorbikes.  Hildebrand & Wolfmüller became the first series production motorcycle in 1892.  This game places most of its anachronistic devices at least 40-60 years early, in the castle.

Gotta love Anachronism Stew. ;)

This game takes place in the mid 1800's (circal 1852), with  In the Castle Center, there is a room that's housing a number of such devices, which appear to be:
-a model of a dirigible blimp
-a rudimentary radio transmitter
-a 'mixture-based' explosive-looking thing?  (sort of like the one from 'Die Hard with a Vengeance').
-a makeshift engine prototype (looks like a wankel engine or a dynamo)
-some other devices I cannot recognize

Some or all of these devices seem to have been engineered in the Tower of Science, where you can see electrical resonant transformer circuitry (Tesla Coils).  Nikola Tesla engineered Tesla Coils around 1891, so this is also an example of ahead-of-its-time technology.  The Particle Blasters (beam cannons), are also an example.  I guess this game's developers liked Tesla.

Of course, one should note that the Castlevania series has had a long-standing penchant for anachronism.

-Electrical devices in Lords of Shadow's Clockwork Tower (before such things existed).  A Clockwork Tower in the 11th
-Modern office chair in Curse of Darkness
-A Clockwork Tower in early 1400's (cv3)
-...and many more instances later on in the timeline(s)!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 12:38:07 PM »
Who is Nathan Graves kin to?

Why does Dracula's return happen a such random intervals?

Why isn't there modern lighting throught the AoS/DoS games; i still break candles for some reason.

How come Death is able to make a return in many of the CV games but not enemies like Olrox or Beelzelbub?

How come Juste was the only Belmont who had traits from both parents i.e. ability to use tomes?

this is all i got for now
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss