Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Dungeon Award Sprite Contest  (Read 57474 times)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Re: 1st Annual Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2014, 05:59:35 PM »
I think the base X/10 with explanation is best.  Simple to use, simple to understand.  If there are any ties, redo amongst the ties.

Since I missed the judge train...is it fair to ask how to get started making a sprite?  I can draw just fine on paper, but that wouldn't be very useful on the forum, methinks!  What kinda program do you use for this?  Recommendations?

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »
I think the base X/10 with explanation is best.  Simple to use, simple to understand.  If there are any ties, redo amongst the ties.

Since I missed the judge train...is it fair to ask how to get started making a sprite?  I can draw just fine on paper, but that wouldn't be very useful on the forum, methinks!  What kinda program do you use for this?  Recommendations?

Check that out dude. It should get you started in the right direction.

http://kiwi-rgb.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-a-Capcom-background-133030150.
http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Pixel-Artist

Also, if you have a paper drawing and access to a scanner. Try scanning your image digitally and then just digitally paint over your image.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »

Honestly, I think you can only start when you start. Begin by outright copying an sprite and analysing how the pixels were placed to convey shapes. Or simply opening a graphics program, resizing the canvas to a very small dimension, and creating something out of your mind. Posting it on pixel art forums is a very nice way of getting feedback. If you already can draw nicely on paper, this will help you greatly when you try to do pixels.

I use MS Paint and nothing else, for drawing the pixels themselves and polishing. Sometimes I use Photoshop or Graphics Gale to edit colors and the such, but I do everything on MS Paint beforehand and leave only the smallest adjustments for other programs.

If you have time to kill, read these:
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2014, 08:13:54 PM »
I use MSPaint almost explicitly. When I need to make a fully-shaded sprite solid color to do a new frame or whatever, or if I want to sprite over a scanned drawing, I use Photoshop out of convenience.

But yeah, what ^they said. Especially what plot said. We can show you technique, but ultimately nobody can tell how or where to find the spirit of the art. You have to find your own style yourself, it's a practically-universal rite of passage in the arts.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »
Thanks all!  Sorry for disrupting the thread (probably shoulda started a new thread with my question :-S ), but thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
OK, how about this...

Judges will vote amongst themselves on three entries explicitly for first second and third place. A vote for first place is 4 points, a vote for second is 2 points, a vote for third is 1 point. Whichever entry gets the most points based on all the judge votes fills in the top three in that order. Anything else doesn't place and isn't necessarily ranked. Ties will have a revote between the equally scoring entries.

All entries will get a writeup of how each judge felt about them.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2014, 11:25:08 PM »
I like uzo's suggestion.
It has a bit of math but is not a headache to score. And since everything is subjective, the writeup would cover the explanations necessary for sour grapes (if ever they are any).

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2014, 07:19:42 AM »
Works for me.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »
OK, how about this...

Judges will vote amongst themselves on three entries explicitly for first second and third place. A vote for first place is 4 points, a vote for second is 2 points, a vote for third is 1 point. Whichever entry gets the most points based on all the judge votes fills in the top three in that order. Anything else doesn't place and isn't necessarily ranked. Ties will have a revote between the equally scoring entries.

That's a cool idea.

Like it.

How does Jorge feel about it?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:03:26 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2014, 05:39:16 PM »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2014, 06:44:20 PM »
After this, should we do a Halloween sprite contest? I suck at doing small trophylike things, so this contest just isn't my type o spriting yo. You know what I'm sayin?. :I

http://youtu.be/4GYLDLAHW-4
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2014, 09:35:40 PM »
OK, how about this...

I'm cool with it.
It's pretty close to the judgement system I used to use on the Final Fantasy Hacktics forum.
Minus the explanations.

Updated first post with guidelines for the judges.

After this, should we do a Halloween sprite contest? I suck at doing small trophylike things, so this contest just isn't my type o spriting yo. You know what I'm sayin?. :I

I'm cool with that too.

Contestants!!
I added a new requirement to the first post.
For this contest, each entry must be submitted in a gold, silver, and bronze color schemes.
This will make it easier for the judges so that they don't have to imagine what the entry will look like as a different place prize.
Update your submissions accordingly.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:46:02 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2014, 01:07:19 AM »
Contestants!!
I added a new requirement to the first post.
For this contest, each entry must be submitted in a gold, silver, and bronze color schemes.
I have no submisions yet, but the kind of sprite i was working on is more like the current Awards you can see under the user avatar (no exactly the same, but similar style). What I mean is that my sprite is not a depiction of a medal nor a trophy, so I can't make color schemes of it. Probably this is a stupid question, but am I required to make the sprite look like a medal/prize/trophy?

This will make it easier for the judges so that they don't have to imagine what the entry will look like as a different place prize.
If I submit a silver sprite, my sprite will only compete with other's silver sprites? I don't think the judges need an specific color. From what i understand (maybe i'm wrong), the contestant wouldn't need to make different color schemes since all the submissions compete each other, and the winner (first place) will be the sprite with more points, no matter its color. But well, if I'm wrong i'll make gold, silver and bronze versions.  ;D

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:11:42 AM by kaonstantine »

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2014, 04:18:47 AM »
I have no submisions yet, but the kind of sprite i was working on is more like the current Awards you can see under the user avatar (no exactly the same, but similar style). What I mean is that my sprite is not a depiction of a medal nor a trophy, so I can't make color schemes of it. Probably this is a stupid question, but am I required to make the sprite look like a medal/prize/trophy?

Well the theme is for an award which is pretty general, so no, it doesn't need to be a medal or trophy specifically.
Just take into consideration that these are intended as contest prizes rather than standard awards.

If I submit a silver sprite, my sprite will only compete with other's silver sprites? I don't think the judges need an specific color. From what i understand (maybe i'm wrong), the contestant wouldn't need to make different color schemes since all the submissions compete each other, and the winner (first place) will be the sprite with more points, no matter its color. But well, if I'm wrong i'll make gold, silver and bronze versions.  ;D

Thanks in advance

I clarified this requirement in the first post.
You should submit your sprite in three palettes to represent what it would look like if it were used for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
The thing is that the sprite can look pretty different with different color schemes, so the idea is not to leave anything to the imagination.
What were to happen if a gold sprite won 3rd place and a primarily silver one won first place.
If left alone they would cause some confusion to the average user and if recolored after the fact it could affect the look of the sprite.
"Stuff and things."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2014, 05:32:14 AM »
Either that or three individual images would work I gather. They should show an obvious progression of lest to greatest. Think of how the Potion, Great Potion, and Super Potion are represented in later CV games. They're identifiable as the same, but one looks obviously better than the other. You can tell just be looking at it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:34:11 AM by uzo »

Tags: Fuck it