Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So um..where's that Castlevania movie?  (Read 10612 times)

Offline Techno Bacon

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: October 15, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »
So, the title explains it all.
Where the hell is it? The last time we got news about it was in 2009 2009! That's 5 years ago!
So, do you think it's Cancelled and they just don't want to tell anyone? Or do you think they could be filming the movie in secret and be like "Castlevania Movie, comes out tomorrow, be there" (That's obviously not what's happening but, wouldn't that be awesome?)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: So um..where's that Castlevania movie?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:27:36 PM »
Welcome to the board!

Part of the confusion was that a fan project was mistaken for the official movie because it had Micheal Dorn (Worf from Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine) in it.

Castlevania: Hymn of Blood [Live Action Fan Series] - Castlevania: Hymn of Blood [Live-Action Fan Series] - Episode 1

The actual official movie has been in development hell forever. If Paul W. S. Anderson is still wanting more money he might go after it more aggressively now. Since this new Resident Evil movie is supposed to be "The Final Chapter", due I can only suppose to studio heads thinking Anderson's wife is getting too old to be a Mary-Sue much longer. Though I think this is probably going to be "The Final Chapter" of that franchise just like "Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter" and "Puppet Master Part V: The Final Chapter", which were each followed by around 6 sequels. Though since a Resident Evil TV show is being developed it might actually stick.

Personally after seeing how Resident Evil and pretty much every other VG movie has turned out I'd just as soon a Castlevania movie never get made. I mean even that fan film gets the mythology all wrong. If you're interested in seeing Castlevania-like films though they're out there. Things like Vampire Hunter D, Van Helsing and Solomon Kane.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:43:36 PM by Ratty »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »
lords of shadow (yes it still is a castlevania game, shut the fuck up haters), which is essentially "the game of the movie"

the new film "Dracula Untold" is said to be an almost ripoff of lords of shadow

there ya go

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »
lords of shadow (yes it still is a castlevania game, shut the fuck up haters), which is essentially "the game of the movie"

the new film "Dracula Untold" is said to be an almost ripoff of lords of shadow

there ya go

"Yeah right, it is Castlevania only in name >:(" Sorry, I could not help it ;D. Just kidding, I think that all is said related to that ancient struggle.

As for Dracula Untold, there will be a second part if it gets a really good success. The ending reminds me a lot the epilogue of the first LoS... Anyone observed that, too? I challenge all of you to admit it!!!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:43:41 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 05:50:14 PM »
Hopefully dead and buried, I don't trust Hollywood to deliver an at least passable film.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:27:39 PM »
Hopefully dead and buried, I don't trust Hollywood to deliver an at least passable film.

^^^
This! It's best if they don't follow through with it. Hollywood is not like it used to be. I wouldn't trust them with a Castlevania movie anymore then I trusted Mercurysteam with a Castlevania game. Heck, Hollywood would probably take a cue from CV Judgment and stick in that ridiculously useless love triangle--the one element that never existed in CV III to begin with.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 11:49:56 PM »
Yeah, leave it to hollywood to screw everything up.
If you really need your castlevania movie fix, just follow the advice of all those who posted above.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 04:57:32 AM »
Hey, it's that topic again

If they would just try to play it straight, a CV movie would just be another mediocre and embarrassing vampire movie with a few loose ties to a couple of vidyas. I mean, from what I've seen from that fan series, it's just a couple of checkboxes they filled in, but it doesn't feel like it's related to the games beyond that. It's too mundane. They should actually try to take advantage of the medium and do something creative with it. Put all the crazy elements from the games in it and make it work. For example, action scenes like in Scott Pilgrim would be perfect. Of course, there's plenty of other things they would do to make a good movie, but being self-aware of its own slockiness would be a good start.

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 09:49:41 AM »
i would have really liked to see the dracula's curse animated movie tho, that was quite interesting

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 12:42:34 AM »
An animated movie would be a lot easier to produce then a live-action one.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Techno Bacon

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:06:25 AM »
Yah know, a while back I DID start on a CastleVania script (yes I capitalize the V deal with it) but it's been sitting in my Celtx box since July..it's just there..dormant, I don't even know if I'll finish it. I probably will but not anytime soon.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »
When they originally said James Wan was attached, I had some hope. He has some damn fine atmospheric and creepy movies. I wouldn't doubt he'd have oozed in that spooky feel to the movie.

Other than Wan, I think  Del Toro might be able to pull off a CV movie. He's good with action and loves strange plethoras of monsters.

Offline Techno Bacon

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 09:26:27 AM »
Yeah, Del Toro is the perfect person to write or direct the movie.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
I more excited about the Metal Gear Solid movie...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Techno Bacon

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »
Anyway, my script was based off of the Lords of Shadow trilogy, probably the least practical version to make one out of.

anything