Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: NitM Glitchfest  (Read 6256 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:45:21 PM »
What I find to be another glitch in the game was the lack of PS1 quality graphics and transparencies, lol.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:17:13 PM »
transparencies

I always thought that it was because of my emulator, only some years ago I've discovered that it really is like this on the console since I've only played it like 3 times on real hardware at my friend's house.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
LOL, it is very much a console thing. The Genesis, Sega CD, Sega Saturn and Dreamcast apparently could not do transparencies. And yet other systems like the SNES could. Well, maybe some games of the Dreamcast were able to. I'm not sure, I'd have to check.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
The SSF Emulator lets you do "Mesh Transparency" Fix.
This makes the game closer to SotN in terms of translucencies, etc. ;)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »
Cool to know that, how he does it? lol
He grabs everything that flashes constantly and creates a blur?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:12:12 AM »
Supposedly the Saturn can do transparencies and translucencies just fine... on 2D objects.  on 3D objects, special software would have to be coded by the developer group in order to do so, as it wasn't really a native Saturn feature.

The problem is, since NitM is a port of SotN, a game that, though is plays in 2D, is actually using a 3D-friendly engine (pretty much everything is a texture on a polygon instead of layers of tiles), anything that is 3D that is ported to the Saturn that didn't implement its own code for 3D transparencies/translucencies would suffer.  And since everything is basically 3D...

This is basically a case of shoddy porting, rather than an inferior system.
The Saturn did a better job with the music and the looping, as I've mentioned before, so in that regard the Saturn does a better job, using PCM instead of XA audio, which means higher quality music that would loop more seamlessly.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
So this could be indeed the best SotN edition if they weren't lazy eh? What a shame :-\
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
Stretching the graphics didn't help its cause either  :P  Which is a shame since it sounds like NitM could have very well been the best port of SotN to date if not for (as Laylgax put it); lazy.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 12:31:42 AM »
Why you keep calling me Laylgax haha? xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 12:34:14 AM »
Why you keep calling me Laylgax haha? xD

Either it's Apple's fault or dyslexia attack.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
Dirp-! Why can't I get the 'E' instead of the 'A'?!?  :-\

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 01:18:01 PM »
The PSP port was lazy. That Maria battle was the most half assed thing ever.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
What was also lazy was Maria's attack power. Her 12 year old Dracula X counterpart had more stomping power then the PSP SotN version!

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
What I wanna know is why they didn't expand the screen resolution and in turn stretched the graphics. :(
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

anything