Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania in 2015  (Read 91759 times)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2015, 11:22:41 AM »
I still think, as of recent, the closest we are going to get to something CV-like is Bloodborne. The newest environment trailer even hits the nail deeper into that belief:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo2tgWAvNlw
In a perfect world this is actually a Castlevania game.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2015, 11:34:03 AM »
Looks fantastic. And they even snuck a clock tower in there! Have to believe that was an intentional nod.
...or... because it's based on victorian England?

Clocktowers are a common victorian set piece as well

I still think, as of recent, the closest we are going to get to something CV-like is Bloodborne. The newest environment trailer even hits the nail deeper into that belief:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo2tgWAvNlw
I'm hesitant to call it anything close to CV. I mean, why, because it's gothic victorian and you play some kind of variant on the undead curse?

Besides, I remember people here hyping up Dark Souls 2 as "the TRUE next castlevania". I wonder where that went after release?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »

...or... because it's based on victorian England?
NOPE. NOPE. STOP TALKING. Clocktowers = Castlevania.
Take your logic somewhere else, boy.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2015, 06:25:21 PM »
There are elements of Dark Souls that Konami should study veeery closely. Level design, atmosphere and pace for starters. Those are done better and more Castlevania-like than Castlevania itself has managed in 3D so far. IMO.

But other than that - No, Dark Souls 1&2 are not "true Castlevania experiences" and I don't think most people would claim that either.

With Bloodborne however, Fromsoft has taken a huge leap towards something that visually looks like the 3D Castlevania I've always wanted. I don't necessarily think the combat is how I'd like it (though maybe a whip could solve that), nor is the punishing difficulty, but it definitely looks like something I wish Konami had done years ago.

If Bloodborne turns out great, and manage to scratch the Castlevania itch for (some of) us, it would be pretty awesome to start some kind of "thank you" campaign, aimed at Fromsoft. It would really funny if thousands of Castlevania fans come together to thank Fromsoft for making the game Konami was incapable of.  ;D Ideally the message would eventually reach Konami so they can feel really f*cking embarrassed about it.

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »
Bloodborne may very well cure my crave for a new Castlevania. I have never played a Dark Souls game, because I really had no interest. However, Bloodborne has had my interest ever since I saw the E3 announcement trailer for it. It reminded me of Castlevania, lol. And it still does. Now that I have a PS4 and have only been using the thing for FFXIV, I need more games for it anyway. So even though I need to get Final Fantasy Type-0, I'm going to have to drop money on Bloodborne next month as well. Let's just hope Bloodborne doesn't disappoint me like LoS did.  :P

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2015, 06:47:34 AM »
NOPE. NOPE. STOP TALKING. Clocktowers = Castlevania.
Take your logic somewhere else, boy.
very mature

(though maybe a whip could solve that),
well there is that cane whip
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:49:39 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2015, 12:46:23 PM »
very mature

Pretty sure EstebanT is being facetious, here.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2015, 01:17:51 PM »
I'm hesitant to call it anything close to CV. I mean, why, because it's gothic victorian and you play some kind of variant on the undead curse?

Besides, I remember people here hyping up Dark Souls 2 as "the TRUE next castlevania". I wonder where that went after release?
It won't play like a CV, but I think the atmosphere is more aligned with the "spooky" style I've come to associate with the CV series and the fact it's set in a Victorian era always peaks my interest(I've been aching for a newer 3D Victorian-set CV game for a while). Besides, the first castle and church shown remind me of Hammer film set pieces.

I've never been a supporter of Dark Souls being CV-like simply because regarding the horrific themes within the Dark and Demon Souls series, they are "Dark Medieval Fantasy"(games like the Diablo series would also fit with this) games first, while Castlevania, I tend to believe, has always been "Horror Adventure". It's also why I've grown sick of medival set CV games(like LoS), because they tend to focus on the medieval fantasy aspects rather than the pure horror aspects(though MoF and LoS2 would seek to right the "style", I found both those games far worse than LoS, which I didn't like much to begin with). And while we are on the subject, I did like how DmC actually put in the effort make sections with REAL platforming(where you actually jump over gaps, or elevated platform to elevated platform), which both IGA and MS struggled to do themselves without resorting to the "don't give a shit" mentality of IGA's team(resulting in flat corridors after flat corridors) or the "shimmying, wall climbing and plankwalking equals platforming" mentality of MS(even though they KINDA tried with LoS2, but they could've(and should've) done more. If the CV series EVER comes back, we need that platforming to return as well. You CAN have flat hallways and hell, you can have parts where you have to shimmy through areas, but make the platforming a MAJOR part of the gameplay.

But yeah, until that happens, think the closest(of recent) we'll get to something "CV-like" is Bloodborne. Konami's not interesting in CV right now(they are probably putting their all in MGSV and Silent Hills) and I don't see any other company interested in trying to take a foothold into that "market"(as in "horror adventure"). 

Offline mistressalucard

• Diva
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Magical Diva
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Moonlit Path
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania in 2015
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »
I have the collectors edition of Bloodborne preordered.  When I first saw it a few months back I thought it looks Castlevania ish.  I am sure it will be fun because I like games set in that sort of atmosphere.

And it will hold me over until Witcher 3 comes out or a new Castlevania is announced.
---
Lady A

Trevor Belmont Fan

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2015, 02:17:09 AM »
Witcher 3 is already out where I am.

As for Bloodborne game? I may or may not get it. I'm not a fan of the souls' series difficulty and this has led the games to sit out collecting dust rather then being played. But it does look very Castlevania-ish. More-so then the other souls games. And having it look more the Victorian part gives it that classic Bram Stoker's Dracula vib too.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2015, 07:26:26 AM »
I have seen the screenshots and videos of Bloodborne, nope it doesn't feel a Castlevania-ish for me. It reminds me more of Master of Darkness(In the Wake of the Vampire) for SMS or Frankenstein for SNES which also sets in Victorian place.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:35:44 AM by Shinobi »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2015, 06:39:20 PM »
Witcher 3 is already out where I am.

WUT!?

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2015, 08:29:31 PM »
I have seen the screenshots and videos of Bloodborne, nope it doesn't feel a Castlevania-ish for me. It reminds me more of Master of Darkness(In the Wake of the Vampire) for SMS or Frankenstein for SNES which also sets in Victorian place.
IMO Bloodborne so far has more of a "Nightmare Creatures" vibe.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2015, 07:53:58 AM »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2015, 10:03:33 AM »
Something that both IGA and Konami should've done a long time ago! Sweet! No-doubt made by oldschool CV fans probably because they feel Konami has essentially failed them. The character is looking quite a bit stiff in her base movements (mainly stair-climbing and whip-swinging) however this looks good to me so I'll definitely want to pick it up upon release.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything