Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania in 2015  (Read 91746 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #255 on: March 22, 2015, 12:02:43 AM »
Unless Konami sell's off all their IPs to other better-off companies before they go under.

That looks like the best possible outcome at this point.

It's still shocking to me to compare Konami in its current state to the 80's/90's world-beater it used to be. Same with Capcom...although they seem more relevant still.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »
+2
I don't think I could put into words how I feel accurately so I'll just say this:  Castlevania was the very first gaming franchise that I was introduced to as a child.  It was the first game my brother played when he got a Nintendo and I sat there and watched him attempt (and fail) to beat it.  Castlevania 3 was the first game I myself actually got to play.  I remembered the music, particularly Mad Forest and Aquarius.  When I couldn't remembered the name of the franchise in years to come, I could remember these two particular songs.

Then around the late 90's, a good friend of mine gave me his old Nes because he had no games for it and thought it didn't work.  I remember cleaning it, replacing the AC adapter, buying a copy of Rainbow Island (my Mom adores that game) from my local Game Exchange and sure enough, the thing worked.

So I called my brother and hummed Mad Forest, asking him what game that belonged to.  He told me the "Dracula game with Simon I think."  So I remeber going back to my Game Exchange and asking about it, and he pulls out Castlevania 1-3.  I bought them all.  Andy from that day on, I have made it my goal to own every game in the franchise, only to date missing LoS2 (by choice, I traded it in to help pay for Guilty Gea Xrd), The Arcade, and Legends because some jerk stole my copy and I was never able to replace it.  (Or stop procrastinating and order it from Amazon.)

This franchise means so much to me as a gamer and hearing that it's coming to an end possibly just...

My only hope for Castlevania now is that Konami will sell it off and it gets the chance to live on.  That, or maybe an indie developer or IGA will make a spiritual successor, ala Mighty No. 9 (Rockman), Freedom Planet (Sonic 2D), and Axiom Verge (Metroid 2D, though Nintendo may get off their butts and make another).  Even the slim chance of them continuing on with the franchise themselves would be great.  Perhaps they could pull a Capcom and have the company pay for the game to be made like SFV. Seeing how Contra and Gradius are fairing, I won't hold my breath, but swimmers of hope are hope.

I feel like such a nerd and loser fan girl, but I will hold out hope that something comes along.  Along with Sega and Capcom, a lot of my favorite developers and their franchises are dying.  I just never wanted Castlevania or Konami to be one of them.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »
+1
I'll hold out hope right there with you!

I remember watching my dad play Castlevania 1 on the NES.  I don't know if he ever made it to Death, but he at least made it to level 5.  I loved the game so much and was eager to play, but as a little one, bosses were my undoing.  I remember pausing the game when I got near to one and running to get him to help me beat it.  Sometimes, if he wasn't available, I'd leave it paused and adamantly beg my mother not to turn it off, and to "pause my time" (my Nintendo time was limited) until after dad beat the boss for me!  He'd come do it, and tell me to watch so I could learn...sharing tips and strategies with me.  (Not that there were really that many, but still...)

Years later...(I'd guess somewhere after the release of CV4) I noticed a neighbor had CV3.  I was thrilled to see there was more than one of this game I loved so much!  I begged to borrow it and actually had to get my parents to give permission (It belonged to my friends father.  My friend wasn't allowed to play that one, so his parents weren't sure I should either.)

And of course, if there was a 3, there had to be a 2, which I promptly found and rented from the local Erol's.  Simon's Quest was probably my favorite back then, and is still high on the list today.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #258 on: March 27, 2015, 05:31:41 AM »
+3
Franchises come and go over time but the memories you have will live on forever unless you end up with amnesia or somethin.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: March 27, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »
I was half-tempted to say that with Kojima and upper management leaving, could there be new management and new vision within Konami?  Could older series just like Gradius or Contra get a little more of a look-in?

But even I can't pretend that's tantamount to bollocks.

They're effectively opening the floor again with Metal Gear:

Interested parties are encouraged to contact us to via the recruitment page of the KONAMI official website.

New "METAL GEAR" production staff

Qualification requirements

- High-end game production
- Practical experience of planning
- Have rich imagination, be innovative
- Strong passion for game making
- Communication skills to convey ideas

What you need to apply

- Work curriculum vitae (not limited to the game), and portfolio

Source: http://www.konami.co.jp/job/jk/spe/mgs.php?cm_mc_uid=37743699541014274695716&cm_mc_sid_50340000|knm02=1427469571

Also, Konami Digital Entertainment have lots of mobile job openings:

- 2D / 3D designer (mobile game browser game smartphone apps)
- Designer Art Director ("Winning Eleven" series production)
- 2D / 3D designer (mobile game browser game smartphone apps)
- Data analyst (mobile gaming operators)
- Content planner (mobile game)   
- Content management charge (mobile game)
- Director (mobile game)
- Net promotion
- Overseas expansion in charge of card games and mobile games

(Ltd.) Internet Revolution

- Network Engineer (mobile game, etc.)   

Source: http://www.konami.co.jp/job/jk/search/search.php
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:54:32 AM by The Silverlord »

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2015, 04:38:27 PM »
Just sell it to From Software. Seriously, I can't think of anyone better.

Platinum Games.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: March 28, 2015, 08:13:15 AM »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #262 on: March 28, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »
I like Platinum Games, but I'm kinda afraid that they'll go too balls-to-the-wall crazy with Castlevania.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline zaxiou

• Hunter in Training
  • Wrryyyyyy
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
Has Konami ever sold any of it's IP's before? Imagine if they sold CV to Sony and Sony got Fromsoftware making a true CV game in the likes of Bloodborne.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2015, 05:19:19 PM »
Has Konami ever sold any of it's IP's before? Imagine if they sold CV to Sony and Sony got Fromsoftware making a true CV game in the likes of Bloodborne.

Not that I am aware of. I really don't want Konami to sell the IP. They just need to simply get their shit together. I don't think anyone could handle CV better than Konami when they actually have their A game on.

Offline zaxiou

• Hunter in Training
  • Wrryyyyyy
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
Not that I am aware of. I really don't want Konami to sell the IP. They just need to simply get their shit together. I don't think anyone could handle CV better than Konami when they actually have their A game on.

After what they did with Castlevania before and now with Kojima, I don't think they consider their gaming division as important as we think. The minds that knew what Castlevania was really about probably aren't with them anymore.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »
Thats sadly true I am sure. That is why they need to do whatever they need to do to bring these people back. Dont outsource it because it makes me feel like they dont care to develop it themselves. I guess I am TRYING to believe Konami still cares a little, trying to keep a glimmer of hope alive. But, it is most likely in vain.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2015, 04:40:51 AM »
Reposting this video because this rumour applies to Castlevania too:

Super Bunnyhop - Kojima vs. Konami: An Investigation

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2015, 06:07:41 AM »
With this new about Kojima and SH, is really hard to think a near future where Konami will put down money for another Castlevania. As someone that loves Castlevania and Mega Man, this are hard times.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2015, 06:19:01 AM »
Castlevania will never die as long as slot machines and pachinko slots continue to exist.

Tags: