Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you think Castlevania is dead?  (Read 49278 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: February 26, 2015, 06:11:24 AM »
We discussed this topic several times already but since it's been a while I think it would be interesting in hearing other people's opinions again (and we really need something to talk about). So consider the usual: are you dissatisfied with the series right now, yes or no? If you are, what do you think Konami should do to try and fix it? Should there be another 2D game? Should the series try yet another new direction? If so, what would you like? Are you positive or negative about the future of the series? How high do you think is the chance Konami will actually anything do anything again with the series? And in what form? Would you consider playing a Castlevania on phones or tablets because that's what some Japanese devs including Konami are focusing on more? Do you think we will already learn more this year? If not, when do you think we will? Don't spare me the details, I'm interested in hearing anything.       

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:38:03 AM »
I don't think it's dead.  I think they'll give it another kick in a year or two.  They'll probably continue to do a 3D action title, maybe on the 3DS.

What I'd like to see is a return to form (but it will never happen).  I think Konami was on the right track with the Rebirth series on Wii-Ware.  A small, budget-friendly team could keep developing classic-style CVs and remakes.  With the success of indie gaming right now, there is life in oldschool gameplay.  If they marketed the games right, and opened them up to Microsoft and Sony platforms, they might make a decent profit.

I'd also love to see some more Metroidvanias, but those probably take more resources to develop than a classic style CV.  With Iga gone, I don't see that style being a priority for Konami.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:23:49 AM »
I would say no for CV being dead. Right now it's somewhat dormant (maybe stagnate too). But I'm not counting the LoS games. Like PFG 9000 said a return to form would be the best place to start from. Gender equality for heroes would be greatly appreciated and they don't even need to to be in-your-face flashy or sexy either. Also keeping the game's story objective simple ie Belmonts Vs Dracula should be strictly managed so it doesn't get out of hand as IGA had let it to. Also Dracula should just be Dracula; as in Vlad III and not some wannabe nobody knows about. I'm okay for another Metroidvania as well if they should decide it's where they want to series to go from here-on-out. But CV should go back to it's roots in order to reestablish itself. I also don't relish the thought of CV having a massive, epic music score movie soundtrack either unless it can be done right. such music would be okay for story cut-scenes but not playing through the game stage by stage. The Indie scene might be the way to go since Konami has gotten too big for it's own good I feel, and this will hurt a lot of old school games we've all come to love. I think the only thing keeping Konami afloat is Kojima's MGS series. But sooner or later that will end and then Konami will be left to wonder where to get their next meal ticket.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 11:34:14 AM »
+1
Castlevania died after Lords of Shadow came out.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »
CV should go back to it's roots in order to reestablish itself.
Castlevania has been too many things for that to mean anything.

Castlevania died after Lords of Shadow came out.
We must be living in different realities.
In the world I live in, Lords of Shadow brought Castlevania back into the mainstream and sold more copies than any other game before it.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 12:25:34 PM »
Yeah, because being mainstream is always such a wonderful thing. They turned Castlevania into a God of War clone, but I'm not getting into that whole discussion again.

Why don't you go play some Destiny?
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
It depends on the definition of "Death" for the franchise.

I'm sure the franchise is far from dead in a marketable sense since SoTN-esque clone indie games are actually doing well, much like the Mighty No.9 situation with Megaman, Fans really want more. From a creative standpoint though, Castlevania is surely suffering, with the LoS games suffering from Identity crisis to the grand crash in story with LoS2, as well as the 1999 fiasco with the later IGA games, its quite obvious that the Castlevania story isn't meant for a large scale timeline but excels with an anthology format. Honestly the simple format of "Objective: Kill dracula" but having many twists and turns in between start to finish was done best with the "alternative" games (Cv64, LoD, and CotM) coming in as standalone titles with a story contained completely within itself.

Going back to the marketable side, the current game market is digging the while enhanced remakes deal, in which Majora's Mask 3D opens up more posibilities. Konami could easily remake Both 64 titles with enhanced graphics and take a page from MM3D in adding a free camera controlled by the C-nub, and/or re-release a "HD" remaster of DXC for the Sony market. Hell, at this point porting the Pachislot games to Mobile and The Arcade to Consoles could make a pretty penny. If Capcom can release Resident Evil 3 times and still make a hefty profit, I'm sure Konami can do the same with Castlevania.

I'm sure this is all spectating around Konami's Eye of Sauron fixated on Metal Gear, not having anything against MG, but they have Soooooo many IPs to expand on it's not even funny, and I'm certain even a remake of a lesser known title will get recognition, look at Strider, It's original 2 games have been pretty much forgotten by the time it released and it did pretty well, It would be really cool if Capcom decided to make Beat-em-ups again, a new Final Fight and Captain Commando are long overdue, But getting back on point, even if Castlevania has be ignored for a few years it would still be nice if Konami expanded a bit more, but it would be great if that expansion involved Castlevania since this would be a perfect oppritunity to do alot of out of the box experimental gameplay elements to define this gen's Castlevania.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:56:23 PM »
They turned Castlevania into a God of War clone
What about Lament of Innocence?
It would be dishonest of me to ignore all the GoW similarities, but I feel like its dishonest of you to conveniently ignore the downfall into "Mainstream hack and slash" that was happening before the LoS series.

We don't have to start an argument over this. 

Yeah, because being mainstream is always such a wonderful thing.
It's not as black and white as "Mainstream = Bad" and "Indie = Good"

If you knew me and all the games I play, you would come to the conclusion that I should agree with you, However, I understand why its important for a big name in videogames to be making good amounts of money. I wish videogames weren't a business too. :(

Why don't you go play some Destiny?
Ummm... Because I hate shooters...

I understand its a touchy subject, but there's no need to be a dick, man.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »
Castlevania died when it got fans like Rugal lol (jk)

More seriously, the latest game was only released one year ago (almost the right day) and its DLC was released a few months later. As I already said, give Konami a break to find a new studio/director/staff for CV. However, if nothing happens this year (no mention of a new game, no trailer, etc.), it'll be another story.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 08:31:09 PM »
I don't think it's dead but it hasn't been doing much either.

I'm pretty sure LoI came out before GoW. If anything I'd say LoI is more DMCish.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 08:51:59 PM »
I think that with the old titles available on PSN or 3DS VC the series will never meet one day it "dies". Because It's sad to see earlier titles like PS1 Castlevania Chronicles to become rare materials at the hand of collectors until 2014 in JP region. And the JP PSN region CV Chronicles is THE last thing that the evil force loyal to Dark Lord IGA did with CV series, then the Lord returns to his slumber...

For the new direction of the series...I have exact no idea but I think a stage-based castle with extra collectables like Mega Man X series will be cool. But I don't want to see a lot of nonsense like secret disk in MMZX titles. I love to see Either a 2-D or a 3-D castle, but the game must have the trusted CV quality.

As the difficulty, if a game is as damn hard as CV Adventure Rebirth (especially Hard difficulty) I'll be mad and hate such a game. Maybe the M2 team were right about the overall concept but as the hard mode they were going too much.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:19:50 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure LoI came out before GoW. If anything I'd say LoI is more DMCish.
Was that directed at me?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:26 AM »
I'm still pessimistic we'll get an announcement this year. For some reason I have the feeling we'll just get stuff about The Phantom Pain and Silent Hills at E3. Especially the idea that Konami seems to abandon handheld games in general seems to worry me. Just compare their output on DS or GBA to their output on 3DS now, there's a very large difference. However, they still bother to write up Castlevania related content on the European Konami blog. Although the content itself is pretty basic, it's still nice for some acknowledgement.     

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 02:46:56 AM »
Castlevania isn't dead until Konami announces The Lords of Shadow Revamped Collection for the current gen consoles and PC, which should be in about 4 months from now.

Just kidding (kinda).

But seriously, Castlevania isn't really dead, it's resting at best. Konami just doesn't know what to do with the series, hell to be honest, I dont think Konami has ever known what to do with the series post SOTN. And since everyone that has ever had a hand in the series is gone and the fact that Konami has MGSV and Silent Hills as their top priorities currently, I dont see Castlevania coming back into the limelight till at least the end of 2016.

Even then, (realistically, so no From/Platinum) who's Konami gonna give the next Castlevania too since they dont even make games in house anymore? Best case if they're going for a small budget  Vania game would be Wayforward (as they clearly have expressed wanting to work on a Castlevania game.) and if they're going for another moderately big budget Vania game, another would be Climax Studio's, who've worked on Konami franchises in the past, including the PC port of Lords of Shadow.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 02:53:29 AM »
+3
Castlevania's not dead, it's just waiting for the next resurrection time in the cycle.

Which I guess makes fangame-makers a bunch of Shafts.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags: