Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you think Castlevania is dead?  (Read 48802 times)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 03:26:33 AM »
Wait, don't you have to be dead in the first place to be resurrected? :V
Otherwise, yeah, it's just sitting in the coffin waiting for the next virgin sacrifice or whatever.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 04:18:40 AM »
+1
It'd be funny if Castlevania went back to Konami Japan and they promptly handed development of a new 2.5D title... to IGA's new studio.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 04:37:45 AM »
Well, I don't really consider Dracula or the Castle in states of true death, more like a stasis.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 08:12:32 AM »
+3
All because we are not getting yearly releases doesn't mean it's dead. We literally just had a release last February.

Yeah, because being mainstream is always such a wonderful thing. They turned Castlevania into a God of War clone, but I'm not getting into that whole discussion again.

Why don't you go play some Destiny?
"M-MUH NICHE FRANCHISE"

Castlevania used to be mainstream, you know. It used to be a name on people's tongues, right alongside MegaMan and Mario. But after Symphony, that stopped being the case as the games declined in quality and started solely attempting to re-capture Symphony's success on handhelds, with decreasing quality in each one. LoS simply brought it back to the forefront, nothing more. It really didn't "kill" anything. It was a self contained 3 parter meant to re-invigorate the franchise for current audiences, and get them aware that the franchise exists. nothing more. Also Thats funny to hear you call it a GoW clone, I didn't know Lament time traveled to steal it's gameplay from God of War!

Though if it were up to you I suppose we'd still be on Symphony Rehash #3876570, saturday morning anime edition and the franchise truly WOULD be dead.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »
All because we are not getting yearly releases doesn't mean it's dead. We literally just had a release last February.
"M-MUH NICHE FRANCHISE"

Castlevania used to be mainstream, you know. It used to be a name on people's tongues, right alongside MegaMan and Mario. But after Symphony, that stopped being the case as the games declined in quality and started solely attempting to re-capture Symphony's success on handhelds, with decreasing quality in each one. LoS simply brought it back to the forefront, nothing more. It really didn't "kill" anything. It was a self contained 3 parter meant to re-invigorate the franchise for current audiences, and get them aware that the franchise exists. nothing more. Also Thats funny to hear you call it a GoW clone, I didn't know Lament time traveled to steal it's gameplay from God of War!

Though if it were up to you I suppose we'd still be on Symphony Rehash #3876570, saturday morning anime edition and the franchise truly WOULD be dead.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

...with decreasing quality in each one.
Im not sure I agree with that. Was it an exaggeration? I couldn't tell.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 10:35:49 AM »
Honestly, I would argue that a lot of the "GoW clone" gameplay mechanics originated more from the first Devil May Cry, which precedes a large amount of games that people call GoW clones.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »
(Oh boy, that old fight LoS-being-a-GoW-clone again... But I will be strong and should not participate... Or maybe yes???)

Dudes, c´mon. That argument against the originality of LoS is really old. I defend the saga as a game, but not as a part of Castlevania. But I am with the God of War "similar" (instead of clone) gameplay (because LoS takes gameplay from SoTC, Prince of Persia, and others too). I always said that its have similar gameplay but not only for the hack n´slash genre, but if only the lots of QTE were inexistent, then we might be speaking of other things of LoS.

As for the original question (if Castlevania is dead?) well, I agree with all of those that think is only a matter of time when we hear of another game. LoS 2 came last year, and maybe is because we have nearly a game per year, (DS and PS2 games, and LoS trilogy). So, for me the saga will never be dead, just in stand by.
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 05:38:42 PM »
+2
Castlevania isn't dead. I think Konami is taking a few years to let it cool off.

I think they realize Castlevania is not an annual series anymore. They're letting things cool down after Lords of Shadow 2 bombed. My guess is they're plotting their next move. I would also presume they realized they can't just let the next game fly off in any direction like they let Mercurysteam do.

I think Konami is going to have Castlevania "return to form" in one way or another. They most likely will not go back to the original style, but I can see some sort of exploration style 'return to form'. Most likely will not be 2D gameplay either. My guess is a return to form in aesthetics and atmosphere.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 07:31:19 PM »
Castlevania isn't dead. I think Konami is taking a few years to let it cool off.

I think they realize Castlevania is not an annual series anymore.
IMO the industry as a whole just can't really do yearly releases anymore and expect to keep high quality. Back in the NES days, and up until the PS1,  it was easy to pump out yearly releases with good production values. But as the industry has become bigger and the technology has gotten better, to make a good, high quality product, the kind that is expected by audiences, it takes 2-3 years at least. And if the last game was poorly received, maybe add a year or two to that while they first plan just what to do next.

They're letting things cool down after Lords of Shadow 2 bombed. My guess is they're plotting their next move. I would also presume they realized they can't just let the next game fly off in any direction like they let Mercurysteam do.
to be fair, A lot of the deal with Mercurysteam is Konami's own fault. Who knows how it might have turned out if it had remained a SCIV remake? Would it still have been a trilogy? Would it have been just the one game? Hard to say, but the fact that it turned into "original universe donut steel", which allowed complete free reign over the creative material is Konami's own fault for deciding early in development to make it a New IP, then deciding to let it be Castlevania again when Kojima stepped in and saw the WIP.(heh)

but I agree overall. It spiraled WAY out of hand with Mercurysteam. You could blame just Alvarez, but the fact remains that it got out of control.

I think Konami is going to have Castlevania "return to form" in one way or another. They most likely will not go back to the original style, but I can see some sort of exploration style 'return to form'. Most likely will not be 2D gameplay either. My guess is a return to form in aesthetics and atmosphere.
One can only hope.

I have a hunch that sooner or later, kojima himself will try to make a Castlevania game. He obviously cares about the franchise if he was willing to defend LoS as a Castlevania game and put his name on it so Konami could market it. And honestly, I'd be quite interested in seeing how a Kojimavania would turn out.

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
And honestly, I'd be quite interested in seeing how a Kojimavania would turn out.
Besides lots and lots of mindfuck? :V
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
Nah, just resting until Konami gets their stuff together.

We'll probably get another LoS game of some sort though, because the worst possible outcome always seems to be the most probable one.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 07:07:11 AM »
lots of stuff

I don't particularly care who dun fucked up, whether it was MercurySteam or Konami, I just want them to fix it and promise never to do it again.

Also, personally, I wouldn't be thrilled with a Kojima CV. He'll go off the rails even further than MercurySteam for sure.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 07:08:06 AM »
Nah, just resting until Konami gets their stuff together.

We'll probably get another LoS game of some sort though, because the worst possible outcome always seems to be the most probable one.
I Seriously doubt we'll get another LoS game after LoS2's botched development and release.

MS' contract was for 3 games only, and I dont see Konami renewing it after LoS2. Especially after the reports of how shitty development was.

If anything, Konami themselves might work with the LoS universe in house, but that's honestly not really a bad thing- As long as they can retcon LoS2's ending.

Also, personally, I wouldn't be thrilled with a Kojima CV. He'll go off the rails even further than MercurySteam for sure.

Eh, I dunno. If Silent Hills is anything to go by, He could definitely do something cool with it. I don't think he'd really go way far out. if anything, he'd probably be really into Retro Castlevania and how he can revive that.

IMO Kojima gets too bad a rap because of how out there metal gear plot tends to be.

And between Kojima and MS, I'd prefer Kojima. I mean, at least he's in-house.

not to mention any game he touches gets all the money it needs thrown at it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:11:23 AM by Flame »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 07:28:05 AM »
And between Kojima and MS, I'd prefer Kojima. I mean, at least he's in-house.

not to mention any game he touches gets all the money it needs thrown at it.

Fair enough.

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »
I don't even think about such vile things :D I just want the same old feeling of starting a brand new RPG Castlevania and roam its levels in search for loot!

Ohh when DoS, PoR and OoE came out and I played them it was such a pleasure! I want to experience the same thing but with new Castlevania titles!!!
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Tags: