Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania in 2015  (Read 90875 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2015, 08:44:29 AM »
Castlevania will never die as long as slot machines and pachinko slots continue to exist.
LOL

The best thing Konami should do right now is giving Nintendo the right to use Simon in Smash, or give the CV IP to a studio like they did for LoS.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »
The best thing Konami should do right now is giving Nintendo the right to use Simon in Smash, or give the CV IP to a studio like they did for LoS.

I think Yacht games and Wayforward would be good contenders. Shovelknight was a blast as well as the Shantae series. If indie games are the way to go with fun, 2D plateformers then I can see Konami's older IPs ie Castlevania, Contra, etc. surviving here then in the hands of a company that has stopped caring for them.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #272 on: April 29, 2015, 07:45:16 AM »
LOL

I'm the one of people that voted in Simon for Smash :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: April 29, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »
Konami, at this point, needs to take a step back, sit the f* ck down and just take long hard look at themselves in da mirror of shame. Maybe take a time-out and go sit in the corner for a while. Probably hire a bunch of new, younger talent (preferably people with, y'know, an actual PASSION for video games).

They're no strangers to getting rid of people, so why not make a clean sweep while they're at it? FIRE EVERYONE! Especially the higher ups. Start over. Figure out who they are as a company, cause right now I wouldn't feel comfortable with them announcing anything whatsoever, be it Castlevania, Contra, Suikoden, Silent Hill or Gradius. The credibility is lost IMO.

They're doing absolutely everything wrong lately.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:17:43 PM by shelverton. »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #274 on: April 29, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
ISnt the head of konami, or, rather, one of the heads of-

really just against videogames? I remember reading somewhere where it said he actually wanted to expand more into gambling territory, and hated that Kojima was there actually making games or something.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: April 30, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »
ISnt the head of konami, or, rather, one of the heads of-

really just against videogames? I remember reading somewhere where it said he actually wanted to expand more into gambling territory, and hated that Kojima was there actually making games or something.

And they hired someone who has that frame of mind to a videogame company?? Wow. If that's true, then just...wow.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: April 30, 2015, 01:01:05 AM »
I dunno...kind of reminds me of Ray Kassar when he was with Atari.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: April 30, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »
And they hired someone who has that frame of mind to a videogame company?? Wow. If that's true, then just...wow.

He's the founder actually. Back when Konami just repaired jukeboxes in the 60s.

Konami's financial report is published on May 9th, so we may learn more then.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: April 30, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »
Where did you read that? That's a pretty alarming prospect.

Konami's financial report is published on May 9th, so we may learn more then.
Who knows? Konami might even take the THQ route.  :P
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #279 on: May 01, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »

The problem is they aren't a video game company. Almost all of their money comes from other ventures, trading cards, gambling, and gyms mainly. If the entire video game division is bringing them down, they aren't just going cut the unprofitable video games, they are going to cut everything. The real issue is whether or not they are going to sell all of their IPs once they exit the game industry entirely. If they don't sell Castlevania, the franchise is dead. Metal Gear will probably limp along for a few years until its cut too. The games industry must be really unprofitable if they are willing to ditch all the work they have done building the Fox Engine, since they don't seem to have any long term plan to use it anymore.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: May 01, 2015, 11:53:54 PM »
The problem is they aren't a video game company.

That is a real shame... I've never even knew about the other products they made until I heard about it from an earlier thread. I've always known them to make video games. If only that were true  :-\

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: May 02, 2015, 03:08:58 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread, but Konami has dropped its NYSE listing.

That's pretty alarming for the company as a whole.

EDIT: It has already been mentioned, sorry. I'm a bit late on the news.
What do you expect will happen, though? Will Konami itself disintegrate, will it be only its gaming division, or is this just a temporary measure?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:13:21 AM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: May 02, 2015, 05:15:41 AM »
I think Konami is going to drop console gaming for the most part and focus on gambling and mobile games. They already have a history of developing pachislots and pachinkos, and from that rumor video it was mentioned they are waiting for gambling to be legalised in Japan (pachislots and pachinkos are not considered gambing because you're not playing for actual money, which is a bit of a loophole). For that reason they probably want to hold on to their IPs which they already have used before for their pachinko and slotmachines (Castlevania, Goemon, Contra). The rumor of KPE developing pachinkos for Castlevania, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear, which I mentioned earlier in this thread, ties in pretty nicely with that.

It's possible they will not abandon console gaming entirely since Konami has been on record saying they want to continue developing Metal Gear and Silent Hill, but they probably want to cut back on the development costs. I have no idea if this will be a good or a bad thing. Other than that, I think the best we can hope for is mobile gaming becoming awesome and bringing about a 2D Castlevania renaissance (probably not). Another longshot could be them leasing their IPs to other devs while continuing to use them themselves purely for gambling and mobile, but I don't think such a thing has ever happend before.         
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:05:30 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: May 08, 2015, 08:06:05 AM »
Here's Konami financial report in case anyone is interested:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1042870&page=1

And the whole situation continues to be depressing.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: May 08, 2015, 03:58:57 PM »
Another longshot could be them leasing their IPs to other devs while continuing to use them themselves purely for gambling and mobile, but I don't think such a thing has ever happend before.       

I'm kind of concerned that they'll scrap their console games, but hold on to their IPs for the sole sake of their pachinko machines. That's what has me nervous about them saying they'll keep Silent Hill and Metal Gear alive.

...but then again, if that were the case, I guess they'd have never bothered issuing a statement to the press over here about the status of both series. That will probably be where mobile comes into play, I guess.

No matter what, the whole thing will be awful.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags: