Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I need some opinions on Castlevania Rebirth...  (Read 7413 times)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: I need some opinions on Castlevania Rebirth...
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 10:43:09 PM »
This thread made me go play it today. I played it today on Hard Mode (with full, modern jumping controls) and 3 Lives. That's the way I first played it, not originally knowing how much the other modes changed the game's content and wanting a decent challenge after paying $10 for 6 levels...

Well, let me tell you, it's a really good "Classicvania" experience. It's been a while since I played this game's stages linearly, and I spent an hour-and-a-half, and only got up to the midpoint of Stage 4. For as simple as it may seem, THAT is how challenging and deep this game can be. Most of that time was spent struggling through Stage 3, but there is a real sense of reward, and you cannot truly see everything in one playthough because of the alternate routes within levels--some hidden behind walls, some locked by keys or other requirements.

Replaying it, it's got a little bit of everything Castlevania, pre-SotN. I would say it's mostly a mix of Rondo, Bloodlines, SNES Dracula X, and Castlevania Chronicles (Sharp X68000 version, non-arranged). I think the challenge on hard is maybe most like that Sharp X68000 game, actually. Even though it can be frustrating, I had a ton of fun playing it again. It hits the core of Castlevania extremely well, and actually has a fair amount of personality and unique identity within its mixture of game designs. It has some nice, obscure homages to Castlevania throughout, and the bosses (and mid-bosses!) feel fresher than usual. While most of it is breakneck action-platforming, there are moments where the stages are built around puzzles similar to, say, the MSX's Vampire Killer. Some reviews state that it has a bland aesthetic, but despite being slightly more cartoony/comic book-like in tone than I'd like, I find its stages and set pieces exude a pretty strong atmosphere with a good sense of consistency/continuity. There is an especially unique platforming sequence in Stage 2 that I love, and one of the alternate routes/short cuts teases a potential mid-boss from a later level.

Rebirth is probably still one of my favorite games from the last seven years. I had hoped it would mean a more embellished sequel that would mix Belmont's Revenge with Super Castlevania IV...but alas... As much as there is to be happy about the recent Igavania news, I don't think it will scratch the same kind of itch that The Adventure Rebirth does. There's a driving purity to its design that the Metroidvanias have never hit.

Here's an important tip: In this game, the whip's "hit box" extends slightly above and behind your character. This is crucial in tight spots, letting you go on the offensive and defensive all at once if you time your whip swings right.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:49:23 PM by RichterB »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 12:17:48 AM »
It feels like a spiritual successor to RoB, for the most part. The only thing I don't like is that it re-uses music from CV: Bloodlines. :I

Why do you hate Bloodlines music  :'(

No, but really: I think the game should've used the soundtrack from the original CV Adventure, and then added maybe a couple of new tracks, or possibly a few from Belmont's Revenge. I ADORE the soundtrack from Bloodlines, but this game would've been slightly cooler if it did stick to the roots it's claiming to stem from. That, or change the name to just "Castlevania ReBirth" and be done with it.

(EDIT: Still, I was very happy to hear Reincarnated Souls again - my #1 favorite "stage 1" song in the history of the franchise. There. I said it.)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 01:49:36 AM »
I think the "The Adventure" part was added because the ReBirth series was apparently "Rebirthing" titles from Konami's Game Boy lineup. It's a bit of a shame that the only tracks on the game's OST from the GB games are "New Messiah" and the unused "Battle of the Holy". But still, the soundtrack is sick, and from the videos I've seen, really fit the game well (though the Load BGM is a questionable choice there). I love the way Drac was introduced with Riddle.

But yeah, I think I'm gonna pick it up. The CV games are all short (beat Dawn of Sorrow on my first playthrough in about 6 hours, and that was with generous exploration and I even farmed for the Valmanway), so this game being short doesn't bother me. Thanks for the opinions guys!
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »
Battle of the Holy should have been stage 1's music.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »
Battle of the Holy should have been stage 1's music.

Agreed. It is also a shame a CV Adventure Rebirth 2 never happened.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »
Why do you hate Bloodlines music  :'(

No, but really: I think the game should've used the soundtrack from the original CV Adventure, and then added maybe a couple of new tracks, or possibly a few from Belmont's Revenge. I ADORE the soundtrack from Bloodlines, but this game would've been slightly cooler if it did stick to the roots it's claiming to stem from. That, or change the name to just "Castlevania ReBirth" and be done with it.

(EDIT: Still, I was very happy to hear Reincarnated Souls again - my #1 favorite "stage 1" song in the history of the franchise. There. I said it.)

I love bloodlines music. It's just the reusing part i dont like.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 06:48:18 PM »
Yeah no Battle of the Holy is my only gripe of the game. And I guess splitting hair here but as others have said no sequel.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 07:31:54 PM »
I always called it the last true Castlevania. To me HoD doesnt count. Man, good times. PoR in 2006, DXC in 2007, OoE in 2008, AR in 2009. It was a good time to be Castlevania fam.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »
I love bloodlines music. It's just the reusing part i dont like.

It's not really reusing, since it was completely rearranged with a new soundfont. Tracks in CV get rearranged all the time, after all.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 11:36:37 AM »
It's not really reusing, since it was completely rearranged with a new soundfont. Tracks in CV get rearranged all the time, after all.

This, I love this Sunset Rider/Ninja Turtles soundfont.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 03:02:51 PM »
QUESTION: Why do the clocks in Level 5 makes train whistle noises when you hit them? That's always confused me. I only can guess that maybe they had limited sound files, and it sounded closest to a grandfather clock's chimes gone haywire?

Anyway, been replaying the game, like I said, and I forgot how cool the alternate path is in Level 4
(click to show/hide)
I really like the different identities you get in the levels from different paths.

Also, I REALLY like the obscure, rearranged songs. They work awesomely. This was my first exposure to the LOAD BGM song, and it's got a cool vibe. That said, I wonder why Battle of the Holy wasn't used. They could have used it for Hard Mode's Stage 1, like how Contra 4 had different music for different modes. I wonder why they made the song at all if they didn't want to use it. And also Lost Painting from SotN is out there as apparently having been made for the game, but axed. Strange. One would have liked more GB era songs, but I think they maybe wanted this game to appeal to a wider group of gamers and Castlevania fans, so they didn't pick the GB songs completely. Though, that doesn't explain the strange (but awesome) song choices for Stage 2 and 4.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »
I really wish this game had remixed "Revenge". Jesus that is a highly underrated track in the series. But I can kind of see why, since it is so similar to "Heart of Fire".

Tags: