Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Double Fine invites Koji Igarashi to play and discuss Castlevania: SotN  (Read 11703 times)

Offline Sir Nicko

• Formerly Soma Cruz
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqheYYeA4k4

The dev's over at Double Fine productions invited Koji Igarashi to play and discuss Castlevania: Symphone of the Night for this "Dev's Play" youtube video series.

The video's fairly lengthy, at over two hours, but it's neat to hear about all of the details the small but devoted dev team put in.

At 27.00 minutes into the video, IGA explains how the programmers put in little bugs and beetles on the foreground trees as they quickly go by. Did anyone know about these??

Happy 18th anniversary SOTN!!

Thanks to "alr1ght" over at NeoGAF for the head's up!

-Sir Nicko
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:18:20 PM by Sir Nicko »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I like how the final menu screen wasn't even supposed to look like that, they just ran out of time to actually do anything with it. That explains a lot.

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
SO nice thnxs;) and here picture of  IGA himself: https://twitter.com/romscoutSDA/status/596712596583002113?lang=en

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
That girl added nothing to the conversation other than "that's cool" and "I really like sotn" every once in a while. If they removed her out of the picture there would be no need to say everything twice. The subtitles would be enough and the video length would be cut in half. I love this interview, but hearing it once is enough.

That girl added nothing to the conversation other than "that's cool" and "I really like sotn" every once in a while. If they removed her out of the picture there would be no need to say everything twice. The subtitles would be enough and the video length would be cut in half. I love this interview, but hearing it once is enough.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Apparently HoD's much maligned furniture room was supposed to be in SotN as Alucard's personal room in Castlevania.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Apparently HoD's much maligned furniture room was supposed to be in SotN as Alucard's personal room in Castlevania.

I was JUST going to comment on that. Also "Candle Replacing Skeletons"

Ideas dully noted for a possible Umbra fangame.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 04:07:29 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
SO nice thnxs;) and here picture of  IGA himself: https://twitter.com/romscoutSDA/status/596712596583002113?lang=en

ROMSCOOOOOOOOUT!  :D

So they took 2 years to work on SOTN. Keep that in mind, people hoping the new Igavania will be SOTN-quality or better. LOL ppl are already complaining about it maybe taking 1 year to make

Hey, for all we know, IGA has been working on this game this whole time...faking the "I can't continue with my dream" thing or at least downplaying it, and it's already half a year into production.

Regardless...I think if we were told "Hey, we're attempting to make this as big or bigger than SoTN." and given regular updates on the game's progression with little peaks at how it's coming along....I think I speak for a lot of us when I say I'd be more than happy to wait 2 years, especially if there was a fair amount of replay value worked into it. (and I'm not talking DLC...I can wait for a full game)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
One of the biggest part of the Castlevania games are the extra modes. Of course I want those in this!

Maybe a New Game+ mode and multiple endings too.

BTW, lots of cool tidbits about SOTN in this video. Darkness Edge, a scrapped move for Alucard, was planned;

EDIT: And man... IGA says that he came to respect the titles that came out before him, so he tried to mantain the legacy as much as possible. The enemy with the eagle was inspired by Castlevania IV enemy with a dog. When you killed the dog, the guy would cry over it's corpse. Pretty cool jab at LoS. :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:01:19 PM by Maedhros »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards

Hey, for all we know, IGA has been working on this game this whole time...faking the "I can't continue with my dream" thing or at least downplaying it, and it's already half a year into production.

Regardless...I think if we were told "Hey, we're attempting to make this as big or bigger than SoTN." and given regular updates on the game's progression with little peaks at how it's coming along....I think I speak for a lot of us when I say I'd be more than happy to wait 2 years, especially if there was a fair amount of replay value worked into it. (and I'm not talking DLC...I can wait for a full game)

He did say in the video that they often had as little as 2 programmers and 4 artists while working on SotN. If he gets enough money they can hire a bunch of people to crank out the same quality in a smaller amount of time.

Though I will say, from personal experience, the longer length of time they took also would have likely helped the game reach it's refined state. Even when you're not working at a high pace, just having to work on something for a long period of time really allows you to think about it more. The more you think about it, the more you will discover and realize good changes to make or details to add.

I think, however, that we can expect something on the level of SotN even if this was not the case. IGA has a lot of experience now and without Konami holding him back with piss poor budgets, time constraints, and marketing blunders, he should be more than capable of cutting loose and giving us a really polished experience.

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Interesting video, a little annoying that they have the subtitles and the interpreter at the same time.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
I came here to share this video, only to discover that Im 1 day late LOL
Thanks for doing this Sir Nicko and welcome to the dungeon since its our first meeting. I'll watch it later.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Dude: Do you have anything to say about the conversation between Richter and Dracula?

Iga: The Japanese version was a lot cooler.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
Thanks for bringing up this video. I'm gonna watch this later.

Dude: Do you have anything to say about the conversation between Richter and Dracula?

Iga: The Japanese version was a lot cooler.
I personally agree with IGA on that. 

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
There were some nice revelations about cut content in there like the skeleton who relights the candles and Alucard's room being cut, although basically that concept ended up in HoD. But they should've asked about what was originally intended to be below the slab at the very entrance to the castle (whether it was originally intended to be an underground garden like the people who worked on the Saturn port put in or whether it was going to be something else) and about how the cut secret ending where Maria transforms would've fit in.

Also, IGA's style of playing the game was really interesting to see. He uses the fighting game style button combos and shield a lot more than probably most players do.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:59:20 AM by Charlotte-nyo:3 »