Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I need some opinions on Castlevania Rebirth...  (Read 7516 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I need some opinions on Castlevania Rebirth...
« on: May 08, 2015, 09:10:20 PM »
I just realized that this game came out almost six years ago and I still haven't played it yet. So I was just wondering how everyone feels about the game. Worth the price? I've heard from some that it's a nice throwback to the Classicvanias, with the Classic Mode itself being a nice touch. But I've heard from some that the stages tend to drag on for a bit too long.

So yeah. What did you all think of it? Is it worth the price? Worth a playthrough? Worth more than one playthrough? Etc. etc.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: I need some opinions on Castlevania Rebirth...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 09:19:36 PM »
I liked it a lot, and it definitely feels like Rondo of Blood 2. The music is incredible, so let's get that out of the way.

As for the length of stages, I thought the clock tower stage really take forever to get through. Stage 2, the entry hall, did drag a bit too with the cavern section. But yeah, it's worth to play through. Excellent Dracula fight, too.

The biggest selling point I can think of is that there are new medusa head, skeleton, and merman sprites.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:24:42 PM »
If you're looking for a Classicvania experience that is well crafted, it's worth the price. This is a game for a few bucks that would have been $50 back in the day.
Great music, it rehashes some graphics but manages to make them feel fresh; but for the most part it has a lot of new sprites. If you've never tried it, I say go for it. You've got "nothing to lose" :)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:28:52 PM »
+1
The last good true Castlevania game in my opinion, one of the best things I ever spent 10 bucks on.

Play it with classic jumping on for the complete experience.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:33:38 PM »
I just realized that this game came out almost six years ago and I still haven't played it yet. So I was just wondering how everyone feels about the game. Worth the price? I've heard from some that it's a nice throwback to the Classicvanias, with the Classic Mode itself being a nice touch. But I've heard from some that the stages tend to drag on for a bit too long.

So yeah. What did you all think of it? Is it worth the price? Worth a playthrough? Worth more than one playthrough? Etc. etc.

Only loses to Rondo because there are no alternate levels and no extra characters.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »
It is a lot like if Bloodlines and SuperCVIV had a baby. Totally worth the play, though it feels like a well put together fan game than an official title given all the graphical borrowing from different styles, scales (SotN mixed with GBA titles), and things like a touhou boss.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »
It is a fantastic game. For me, it was the best Castlevania since Aria of Sorrow. Despite being a low-budget title in terms of overall production values and innovations, there is a lot to this game.

Each lengthy level has various paths dictated by secret passages and/or keys, and these become increasingly strategic depending on which mode you play the game on.

It has three modes of play: Easy, Normal, and Hard. Each mode has alternate platforming and enemy selection/placement layouts.* In addition, there are settings that alter how you play the game. You can choose to have classic controls where there is no mid-air jump control, or you can have surprisingly accurate and fun motion controls. Hard Mode is the most complete game for content overall, but it might be too challenging to start with. There is also a hidden level select cheat that lets you practice any stage you've reached. The music is a nice mix of classic and rare tunes from the series. Bottom line, there is a lot of ways to enjoy/experience this game.

While it has "The Adventure" moniker, it has only a few homages to the original game, which can be a bit disappointing. In terms of gameplay, it's probably closest to a stripped down/more focused Rondo of Blood. Anyway, it's worth the money if you're a fan of Classicvania. It's better overall than Contra Rebirth.

*If you want to know some of the mode differences, I documented some below:
(click to show/hide)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 11:51:53 PM »
It feels a bit less 'epic' than Rondo and Super CV4, and I found that the levels lacked clear identities, or something. Still, it is a superb classicvania, the best of the ReBirth games, and well worth playing. I wish this game was on the 3DS eShop. Or in a physical 3DS collection with Contra and Gradius.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 11:56:45 PM »
I'd say it is worth the price to play it now when compared to its first release. I enjoyed it but found wanting something more akin to an actual modern translation of the gameboy 'The Adventure' rather then the rebirth that we got instead. While its not a stellar title as would be other classicvanias, I would still recommend it for a good throwback to classicvania play-style.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 01:45:27 AM »
Well, I'd say from the replies that it's worth a purchase. I guess I can dust my Wii off and finally get around to this game. Some other questions about it are though...

-How long is one playthrough generally? I wouldn't imagine that long, couple hours tops maybe.
-What's the level of difficulty? Maybe in comparison to other games in the series.
-How hard is the Hard difficulty?
-Are there any unlockables or secrets in the game?
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 02:23:02 AM »
Well, I'd say from the replies that it's worth a purchase. I guess I can dust my Wii off and finally get around to this game. Some other questions about it are though...

-How long is one playthrough generally? I wouldn't imagine that long, couple hours tops maybe.
-What's the level of difficulty? Maybe in comparison to other games in the series.

- Playthroughs match that of Classicvanias. If you're good, they're less than an hour long.
- The game scales a lot based on difficulty and playstyle. For example, if you play with Classic controls, you are limited to Christopher's EU/JP subweapons from Belmont's Revenge (you get the Cross and Holy Water, and I believe the Knife, Stopwatch, and Axe get removed), get a NES era jump you must commit to, and Christopher's fire attacks can be taken away if the enemy hits you once (the regular game lets you use it until a timer runs out, which also exists in Classic; it's just getting hit instantly ends the power).
- Hard not only adds enemies, it actually changes the level design. Some stages have totally new layouts on the hardest setting.
- You can unlock the Classic control setting by playing the game once. You don't even have to beat it; play the game and quit to the main menu to unlock it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:27:24 AM by Foffy »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »

-I don't care how good of a Castlevania player one is. I'd be hard-pressed to believe anyone can beat this game fresh on Hard Mode (where there are more enemies, different patterns, and different traps) in one sitting. If you have an interest in "Classicvania" and you're playing on Hard Mode, you're going to be dumping hours into this game just to beat it. I think it takes about 30 minutes once you get everything nailed down, but I believe when I first beat it--after dumping hours in for several days to a week, that session took me a bit over 3 hours. There are unlimited continues; but one you run out of 1-ups, you start back at the beginning of a stage.

-When the mode is cranked up, challenge is somewhat like the SNES Castlevania: Dracula X, I guess. It's hard to compare. The game really is rather unique in some ways.

-BUT: Remember, each mode is basically a different game, so you're getting multiple potential playthroughs, and the easier ones are VERY easy and rather stripped down.

-Unlockables...There is the Classic mode stuff, and also a Stage Select that's earned when you get to a given level. You just hold right at the title screen to activate it. Each stage has at least two routes, and there are a number of various score bonuses or sub-weapons that are hidden in each stage. When you play on harder modes, knowing the hidden routes/short cuts and where to get 1-ups and sub-weapons becomes crucial.

Can't recall much else right now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:47:07 PM by RichterB »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »
This game has something that is so small, yet I like it so much: The whipping animation and when it hits the enemy feels so freaking satisfactory  :D
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 12:17:49 AM »
It's a good solid CV IMO. Worth the money and has the charm I originally loved about the series. A Belmont with a whip in a giant castle fighting bad guys. No xp, armor, potions, over the top gimmick systems but just simple whipping and sub weapons.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »
It feels like a spiritual successor to RoB, for the most part. The only thing I don't like is that it re-uses music from CV: Bloodlines. :I
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Tags: