Poll

What Metroidvania should we play on Twitch?

Circle of the Moon
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Symphony of the Night
Curse of Darkness

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: #Igavania: What Metroidvania should we play?  (Read 20560 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: #Igavania: What Metroidvania should we play?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 12:22:51 AM »
I love the knuckles in that game as well as the little air combos, jump cancels, and the bits of fighting game mechanics that appear...and of course, can't forget that Innocent Devil system.

All of this, plus the steal system.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »

I never understood how that worked.

And I have no problem admitting that I am not the best at curse with Hector. I rushed through the game just to play as Trevor  :P
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »

The steal system could have been much better then what was given to us. You have to wait for the right time to steal an item, get the enemy to function in a specific way to steal an item, or hit the enemy several times (or in such a way) in order to steal from them. A waste of time and sometimes very frustrating. Especially when there are multiple enemies on-screen and you need to steal but everything else is getting in your way. It was needlessly complex when it should have been straight-forward simple. Plus there are enemies that you encounter before getting the steal ability that never show up again so you can't steal from them. Specifically the boss of the Abandoned Castle. You never see him after defeating him and you can't steal from him unless you go through boss rush after the fact, and then what's the point? You've already finished the game. It was a poorly implemented design choice IMO. Also it would have been more beneficial if Julia's shop sold some of those extremely rare elements in order to forge new stuff. Her shop was pretty bare bones to begin with. Renaldo's shop had much better shit.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »
Thanks for the votes everybody it really means alot.  :)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Captain Sheepy

• Hunter in Training
  • Need a Quality Assurance Tester?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 12:30:08 AM »
Thanks for the votes everybody it really means alot.  :)
It certainly does. Let's all have fun together as a community and enjoy ourselves to whatever game wins the vote.....I'm so hoping Harmony or Curse of Darkness...or Circle.

Offline Captain Sheepy

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Hey guys, Neobelmont and I are going to do a Twitch Live Stream on a Metroidvania of your choosing from this poll. So please make sure to vote and then be there at the twitch live stream when we update you guys on if there were be one at all. I think it's something we should all have fun together with and hang out as a community over this #Igavania awesomeness.

Offline Charlie Walden

• Foran the Frigid
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 03:06:33 AM »
Voted HoD, my first Castlevania!  :)

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »
Circle of the Moon. It might not be IGA-penned, but it's still one of the best entries in the genre, and deserves so much more recognition than it seems to have gotten.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 05:11:12 PM »
The steal system could have been much better then what was given to us. You have to wait for the right time to steal an item, get the enemy to function in a specific way to steal an item, or hit the enemy several times (or in such a way) in order to steal from them. A waste of time and sometimes very frustrating. Especially when there are multiple enemies on-screen and you need to steal but everything else is getting in your way. It was needlessly complex when it should have been straight-forward simple. Plus there are enemies that you encounter before getting the steal ability that never show up again so you can't steal from them. Specifically the boss of the Abandoned Castle. You never see him after defeating him and you can't steal from him unless you go through boss rush after the fact, and then what's the point? You've already finished the game. It was a poorly implemented design choice IMO. Also it would have been more beneficial if Julia's shop sold some of those extremely rare elements in order to forge new stuff. Her shop was pretty bare bones to begin with. Renaldo's shop had much better shit.

In SotN you need to beat the game once to buy the duplicator, It is hard to get glyphs in OoE when enemies are nearby and some weapons in DoS can't be bought, you will need to grind for souls and sometimes even beat the game more than once AFAIK (I've never got all of them so IDK).

Even so I don't think that they are a "waste of time". They are optional and add to the game, even more as a replay value if you want to get everything. Its one of these things that are hard to do but give a feeling of accomplishment when you steal from a boss. :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Captain Sheepy

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 07:37:11 PM »
Sweet guys! Keep em coming! This poll has become very exciting. The chances of Curse of Darkness, Harmony of Dissonance, and Circle of the Moon winning are intriguing. I can't wait to see the outcome.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »
@Lelygax

I was talking about the steal system in Curse of Darkness, considering it is the only CV game where you can steal items  ;)  Every other game the defeated enemies just drop the items after you kill them.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »
Even so my point still stands, you know that I was comparing it and that these comparisons are valid ;)
If you read more carefully you will see that I wasn't only talking about items, but similar things that you can only get by using the "gimmick" of the game.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
Even so my point still stands, you know that I was comparing it and that these comparisons are valid ;)

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make. I was talking about the CoD steal system yet you mentioned all this which had nothing to do with my comment;

In SotN you need to beat the game once to buy the duplicator, It is hard to get glyphs in OoE when enemies are nearby and some weapons in DoS can't be bought, you will need to grind for souls and sometimes even beat the game more than once AFAIK (I've never got all of them so IDK).

And my comment came from this that you mentioned previously;

plus the steal system.

As for this;

If you read more carefully you will see that I wasn't only talking about items, but similar things that you can only get by using the "gimmick" of the game.

It would have made more sense to mention this along with the 'steal system' comment above. That way there would have been no error. It should have been mentioned that you were talking about gimmicks on a whole and not about a specific system which is where the message got lost in translation.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »
Well, I was trying to make a point as a whole, giving example of gimmicks from each game that have their pros and cons but even so aren't a waste of time, sorry if my poor english is confusing. Im trying to get better at it :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Captain Sheepy

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »
Holy smackeroll! Looks like Harmony is really in the lead! Alright, better really practice up on that then! It seems the most likely! o3O keep it coming people...maybe the tide might turn.

anything