Poll

Which would you rather see?

Dracula's Curse 2D
15 (78.9%)
Dracula's Curse 2.5.D
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: July 12, 2015, 03:46:41 PM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse...2D or 2.5D?  (Read 6931 times)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse...2D or 2.5D?
« on: June 12, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »
Hey folks, as most of you know I  have been working on Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse for some time now. Its in its beta stages now, and recently I have been getting into 3D modeling/animation. Which got me thinking; wouldnt it be badass to release a 2.5D version instead?! Given that, and by seeing a large outcry for a 2.5D remake online, what would you folks like to see more, a 2D or 2.5D remake? Keep in mind, if I make a 2.5D version its going to take quite a while to do it all, since ill be doing all the artwork. Or would you all rather see the 2D version get completed?
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse...2D or 2.5D?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 05:31:27 PM »
I suppose the question for the 2.5D version would be: Is it going to be feasible?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 06:07:41 PM »
+2
Finish your game first, then think about doing a 2.5D later.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 06:13:45 PM »
For me personally, I'd much rather have nice looking 2D sprites than the generic and muddy 3D graphics we seem to get on most 2.5D remakes these days.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:23:11 PM »
I say finish your game first as well. Better to avoid a possible slippery slope. Once you've completed your current project and have everything finalized (bugs worked out too  ;)) then you can try your hand at a 2.5D version. You can think of it this way too. While working on your current game it will give you time to improve on 3D modeling. Then when you're ready, you'll have something good to work with.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BloodStorm83

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:42:40 AM »
Castlevania should stay 2d pure and simple. I think your Castlevania game looks great in 2d. Graphics is just beautiful. We don't need some extra blocky 3d objects and scenery. Besides I don't think we want to wait another year for a finished game. Please just finish the game in 2d. If you really want it to be 2.5d then do it after you finish 2d version.

Best regards.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 04:57:17 AM »
Personally, I'm pretty excited about the 2.5D aspect; when done correctly, 3D models can be just as aesthetically impressive as the most intricate 2D artwork.

All in all, it's a matter of preference; but if you're willing to invest enough time into 3D modelling to make 2.5D a reality, then by all means go for it.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 06:07:15 AM »
I recommend finishing your current project first, since it has been in development so long. And secondly, if you are not using an engine made for 3d this would be a bad idea. I think we spoke about Fusion a while back but it isn't built for anything 3d/2.5d. You would have better results with Unity or Unreal 4. But in the meantime, finish your game!

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »
Finish your game. It's been years!

After that makes Castlevania Chronicles 2.5: Simon's Quest... Like that play on the name?

Yeah.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 04:21:53 PM »
I am curious about something. If you were to make game using all 3D assets, what tool would you be using to create the game? I'm pretty sure you use Fusion 2.5, but I'm not familiar with any 3D support it may / may not have.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 12:51:11 PM »
Sounds like 2D it is lol. I just thought about bringing it up considering im getting pretty good at 3D animation finally lol.

@Belmontoya
yeah I know lmao, its just about ready for another beta release :) and cool idea for the simons quest lol. Hell it would be cool to make the trilogy in 2.5D.

As for the concerns regarding the graphics, im using Zbrush to make the landscapes and they looks great in game! So no worries of cheesy looking 2.5D lol

@ ProjectDread - yeah dude im using CTF 2.5. Ive rendered my 3D stuff from a side view and set it up in CTF and it looks badass, its in full HD as well. The trick to make it look and feel more like 2.5D lies in Zbrush. When I render an asset, I put it at a slight angle to give it that depth of field and so far its turned out great!

So with that folks, im off to finishing up the polishing of cv3 in 2D :)

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 05:18:38 PM »
So it's prerendered sprites instead of 3d meshes?

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
What i was playing with was taking Genesis from DAZ3D and exporting to Zbrush to customize him, then set a side camera in DAZ to make the animations.  I made a startup file with the camera preset to where it needs to be for it turn out good in DAZ, as well as staying at the same resolution.  As for the backgrounds they are 3D mesh but i angle them a bit and render them as pictures, then just drop them in the frame in MMF.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 05:46:17 PM »
Gotcha. That is some of what I do in Daz for Anathema. I have a preset light and camera template that I created and use for maximum consistency.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »
We can always go the doom route using 3d maps, Voxels for objects and 2d sprites

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Tags: