Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SoTN Bosses, yay or nay?  (Read 6106 times)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 03:54:18 PM »
Reading this post made me think how much I'd love to see a Trevor or Simon oldschool NES mode for Symphony.  You could still keep the newer style graphics, just give them the old clunky controlls and weapons. 

You might have to add a few blocks, staircases, or give the Belmont a double jump to make it work, but it would be pretty cool...

Alternatively, you could bring back the whole CV3 party and use Grant's jumping or Alucard's turning into a bat to get past those areas.
Something like this could probably pretty easily be done via ROM hack. All the sprites are already in the game thanks to the zombie trio. Probably my favorite boss fight in the game.

Also in the OP can't believe I forgot to mention Dracula... One if the worst Dracula battles in the series if you ask me. At least we got something more.classic in the opening, albeit heavily nerfed.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 07:06:39 PM »
Yeah, being too easy is my biggest problem with the game. Maybe I hadn't noticed the bosses being easy because everything else is too.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 04:31:34 AM »
Well the idea about this thread isn't just that they're easy, but conceptually and technically boring/uninspired. At least for the most part. There are outliers of course, like the zombie trio.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 08:03:20 AM »
Well the idea about this thread isn't just that they're easy, but conceptually and technically boring/uninspired. At least for the most part. There are outliers of course, like the zombie trio.

Despite the fact many people think the boss design is lazy, I do appreciate that Medusa also retreats when Alucard wears the Mirror Cuirass. If there's one thing SOTN doesn't lack it's the little details.

Although I really liked the Nightmare sequence, I thought the Succubus was rather uninspired. I know she wasn't Carmilla, but just look at her in COTM, she was a much better boss.

Speaking of Medusa for that matter I thought SOTN and LOD's Medusa boss battle were fairly similar, but that boss battle was more fun and worked much better in 3d than 2d.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD