Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: NEW NES  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: November 12, 2016, 12:26:47 PM »
With the release and initial success of the NES classic plug and play, a lot of gamers and people who have perhaps not been into games for some time are excited and lining up to buy the plug and play machine.

Above all else, it's proven that there is a huge and excited market for classic NES. There seems to be more excitement for this little console then there has been for the Wii U.

I plan on buying one, like many of us probably do. However, I've read about some of it's limitations that ultimately limit the box in ways that seem a little absurd.

I see what could have been a huge opportunity squandered by Nintnedo. And while I'm still excited about what the NES classic is, I'd like to talk about what I think it should have been. The NEW NES...

Here's what I think the NEW NES could be.

In physical design, it could be exactly what the NES classic is, only with bluetooth controllers rather than 30" wired.
I think Nintendo had a chance to do something bigger with this. I think that they had a chance to merge the plug and play console market with the tv box market. The amazon fire TV is a gaming console and TV box for $60. The problem, no one cares about the games.

The NEW NES would be a Nintendo console and TV box, pre-loaded with Super Mario Bros and it would have apps like Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube. For the gaming side of the console it would be exclusively an NES with access to the NES gaming library via the Nintendo e-shop. The possibility of new NES games could even be there with Nintendo making tools available to indie DEVs and perhaps even well known publishers would be interested in making NES versions of their games for the NEW NES. Imagine an Assassins Creed NES game, or Resident Evil... I believe the appeal of NES style games is timeless and has potential to grow and expand beyond nostalgia.

I believe a device like this with a price tag of $100 or less would absolutely dominate the TV box market and the plug and play easily. In fact, it could even take a bite out of the major gaming market.

Considering how realistic a device like this would be to produce, how useful it would be beyond being a novelty, and how well it would draw casual gamers, nintendo fans, and people looking for a TV box. I honestly believe Nintendo should be releasing the NEW NES entertainment system.

This is what I think Nintendo should be doing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:30:03 PM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:26:26 PM »
I can see why they didn't make it a streaming box...pretty much all other electronics have that covered by now. I can watch Netflix from my TV, PS4, PS3, 360, Wii-U, Wii, and my tablets (and my PS4 has bizarrely usurped Netflix control from my TV, but that's something else entirely). If I were to buy the new NES, I think I'd just prefer that it play games at $60 than to buy it at a higher price to have yet another streaming-capable device in my house.

What I wished it would've done was allow for future purchases, much like what you're talking about. Like if they could offer downloadable packs of games to sell in order to play more games on the system. They could've potentially tried to get third-party publishers to release game packs of their own...I think that would've been cool to be able to download a Konami or Capcom pack of classic NES games.

I do like the idea of allowing for new games to be made within the limitations of the original NES hardware. That would've been pretty cool.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 03:20:07 PM »
I've known of these for awhile, though I do have 2 different NES models (toaster and toploader), and everything on this little box I own in cart form. Though I wish more games would be released, and maybe drive the cost down on NES/FC collecting.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 06:06:29 PM »
All your really have to do is make a PSTV that plays both digital and physical NES games. 16 gigs is more than enough for the entire NES library.

Instead we get a $60 emulator box...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Tags:

anything