Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Resurrection prototype found  (Read 13533 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Resurrection prototype found
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2021, 01:05:56 AM »
+1

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2021, 07:30:28 AM »
Hey, what's this?

downloaded even though I'm not home and can't extract it and check it out at the moment
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2021, 09:23:20 AM »
Mike sent me a link this morning!

Really great to see a happy ending to this!
Looking forward to digging into it and seeing where they were at with it.

After 20 years I never thought we would see this happen!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2021, 09:59:00 AM »
i hope enough videos come out so that I can associate the music to stages in my mind whenever i listen to them.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »
+1
Well, now that it's been released to the world, I can say with confidence that it wasn't worth $20,000.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2021, 02:00:31 PM »
Ruler of Chaos

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2021, 02:03:24 PM »
very happy to see this come out, I downloaded it but probably won't play it for a while. got to refresh myself on how to burn Dreamcast games, and then dig out the old Dreamcast. I just watched the 36-minute vid on youtube lol

you can really see it would have been very cool, but it's unfinished with many bugs. I hope we can get a programmer to rip the stuff and remake it into a real game one day. even so, stages would have to be added. sounds added like the rocks that kill the snake's heads. the traps on the stairs to move either up or down, or roll down the stairs (we'll never know what they were to do) hit detection needs working on as well.

but never know someone could make it into a real game hopefully before another 20 years. we have a lot of smart Castlevania fans out there.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2021, 08:44:16 AM »
This demo is a curiosity, but nothing more than that really. I don’t think we missed out on something great or anything. It would’ve probably been only a couple notches above CV64/LoD. Those games were really frustrating to play through

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2021, 09:56:35 AM »
This demo is a curiosity, but nothing more than that really. I don’t think we missed out on something great or anything. It would’ve probably been only a couple notches above CV64/LoD. Those games were really frustrating to play through

Maybe, maybe not..?

Hard to say the outcome since the game was never finished. CV64/LoD was somewhat frustrating because of the camera's functionality. But there's no guarantee that this would also be the case with Resurrection. They could take what they learned from CV64's camera coding and appropriate it further for Resurrection. I can agree that it would be a couple of notches above CV64/LoD. Sonia's form looks more developed polygon-wise and the graphics have more pixelation to them. Not bad for a demo all things considered.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »
+1
Yeah, it being a few click above CV64/LoD is an apt analysis based on what I've played of it. Camera, while not fixed, is still wonky which I'm sure they could have fine-tuned later in development. Environments look good for the time, as do the enemies. Sonia handles stiff like the N64 titles, however.

Can't tell if they have placeholder subweapons, but so far I've encountered axe, dagger and boomerang (not cross, literally a boomrang; not sure if they'd have changed that later in development too).

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2021, 06:51:17 AM »
+1
This isn't directly related to the prototype, but I had an interesting thought regarding the game's development. Anyone else think the game's time travel premise is really strange? The game was supposed to take place in 1666 but featured two characters from two completely different time periods as the protagonists for no apparent reason. Why not just set the game in either of those three time periods and focus on that? That got me thinking.

According to the game's environment artist, the art team "wasn’t very cohesive and couldn’t agree on a direction". Which makes me wonder if perhaps there were three different, conflicting ideas regarding what the game was going to be about at the beginning of development. Those ideas would be: 1) a game set in the 1400s featuring Sonia, 2) a game set in the 17th century, and 3) a game set in the 1800s featuring Victor. Interestingly enough, coverage regarding this game from around the time of E3 1999, as well as the prototype, completely lack any mention of the game being set in 1666 or featuring time travel. The first mention of those elements (as well as Victor) didn't show up until September 1999. Which could possibly mean that during the time of the E3 demo, the intention was to make a game featuring Sonia as the sole protagonist. At that point, the game had been in development for at least a year and we know it was far from being finished. According to IGN, the game was delayed around June, 1999. Perhaps the higher-ups got desperate at that time and demanded the developers to also incorporate scrapped ideas in the game (like Victor and those environments and enemies that are clearly from the 17th century) in order to speed up development. And afterwards, someone in the development team came up with some BS time travel plot to tie it all together.

I have never seen anyone bring up this theory, so I thought it would be interesting to share. It would make a lot of sense, if true.         
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:52:58 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2021, 07:15:49 AM »
I was contemplating future Castlevania Collections and figured if each was about 8 games long, they could do another Classic collection, a Metroidvania collection, and a 3D collection.  Then I wondered if there was any chance that they’d ever add the most recent build of Resurrection, closer to completion than this demo disk, perhaps even tweeking it a bit to make it more playable to the 3D collection, and then add it to the Bonus material section of the collection.  I know, wishful thinking.  But I do think it’d boost the sales of the collection at least a little bit if they did.  Kinda how never-before-localized Kid Dracula required a little bit of work and made the anniversary collection just a little more important to people who already had all those games.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:27:32 AM by Reinhart77 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2021, 10:07:44 AM »
Nagumo@

I've heard about the time travel aspect as well. However in terms of Sonia I feel that she didn't go through time so much as she was resurrected in a future time, hence the title of said game. Victor on the other hand could have gone through time as he was from the future. There is also the information we got that states Victor didn't want to have anything to do with his vampire hunting destiny so he abandoned his calling, thus we have Sonia to take his place. I did just find some info on Mr. P's Castlevania realm here: http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/2/canceled-page1.htm
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2021, 11:55:25 AM »
+1
I'm hearing the sentiment that it's a little better than CV64/LoD...but I'm not seeing it from this demo. The character animation/pacing is incredibly stilted, as are the attacks. The biggest improvements I see are perhaps in textures and the ability to generate more enemies on screen at once. The level design is slightly better than I expected, and I like that it has real platforming, but nothing suggests it's better overall than CV64/LoD to me. I don't even see the R-button-type camera fix and lock-on than CV64 had. There looks to be a lot of blind whipping in Resurrection.

Just a reminder on CV64's movement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8br-fTGrErM

All that said, glad to see this see the light of day, and I know it was something I was interested in buying back during the Dreamcast days.

And yes, bring on more collections!

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2021, 12:39:03 PM »
To be fair, it's clear why they picked 1666

Tags: