Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Bloodlines 0.5 Prototype ROM released!  (Read 9434 times)

Offline discoalucard

• Admin
  • Administrator
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Castlevania Bloodlines 0.5 Prototype ROM released!
« on: August 12, 2021, 09:11:42 AM »
+1
Posted here:

https://www.segasaturno.com/portal/exclusividad-en-segasaturno-iexclla-rom-beta-0-5-del-castlevania-bloodlines-vt10077.html

MEGA Link:

https://mega.nz/folder/TxlSDAYB#aH8-7B6EqGwZ9G94MZuFNQ

A few pics I posted on Twitter. I only played it a bit to see new areas, but it'll be cool to see the ROM hackers pick it apart and see what's different from the final release. This is indeed the one with the foundry and the blimp!

https://twitter.com/HG_101/status/1425830700075343872

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania Bloodlines 0.5 Prototype ROM released!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 09:39:15 AM »
Sweet!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 11:32:05 AM »
niiice
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 03:41:25 PM »
Wowa so this is groundbreaking. Will check it later since I'm currently too busy on other game projects...
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 04:07:32 PM »
Holy crap, this is crazy news!  The legends about this version have circulated for decades.  I didn't think it would ever surface.  Did you make this happen, Kurt?

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 04:19:42 PM »
I got as far as 4-5 and the room with the coals. Couldn't progress further. I wanted to see the blimp!!!

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 04:26:53 PM »
I think there's a stage select secret command which can help. Same command adapted from 0.1
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Castlevania:_Bloodlines/Version_0.5
That deleted molten steel areas were plagued with bugs. Maybe also try some player 2 command combinations?
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Castlevania:_Bloodlines/Version_0.1#Controller_2_Commands
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 04:35:18 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 08:33:08 PM »
The game has the final Drac battle.....in stage 4-10! You still get the 3 forms, but they die easily anyway (thanks to that second controller stage skip code to see what the game has to offer). Stage 5 is completely devoid of enemies, save for the swinging vines, which are now garbage sprites, and the Princess of Moths, who now looks completely different in human, and moth form. Almost a cartoony look for the original prototype form, but likely just placeholders till the final Princess of Moths design was finalized.

Offline discoalucard

• Admin
  • Administrator
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 09:22:30 PM »
+1
Holy crap, this is crazy news!  The legends about this version have circulated for decades.  I didn't think it would ever surface.  Did you make this happen, Kurt?

Nope, the guy who had it just decided it was time.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 08:46:17 PM »
The game has the final Drac battle.....in stage 4-10! You still get the 3 forms, but they die easily anyway (thanks to that second controller stage skip code to see what the game has to offer). Stage 5 is completely devoid of enemies, save for the swinging vines, which are now garbage sprites, and the Princess of Moths, who now looks completely different in human, and moth form. Almost a cartoony look for the original prototype form, but likely just placeholders till the final Princess of Moths design was finalized.

I wish they expanded upon the original design for the moth form in the beta instead of completely changing it for the final version. The one in the beta looked pretty cool.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 10:18:42 AM »
Damn! That's awesome news!
This should fuel some good romhacks.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 05:53:27 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t7jG5LpnJQ

ngl John turning into a skeleton when he dies is kinda hardcore.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 02:11:11 PM »
Nope, the guy who had it just decided it was time.

I guess the rom was circulated among private circles for a while prior to the owner of the rom deciding it was time to release it to the public. So there were others who had advanced copies of the rom but just kept it to themselves in order to not burn bridges with the original owner. This is likely how we got the "fixed" version of the rom along with the original version released at the same time.

I actually did a runthrough of all of the differences between the 0.5 beta and the final game build that I could find. I'm sure I missed a few. I also only recently found out the 0.1 beta had already been dumped as well, though it looks like there were a whole lot of significant differences between the 0.1 beta and the 0.5, except for tweaks to the game intro, mechanics and a few unused tunes. The sprite differences remain in 0.5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pim59re5k

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 09:49:02 AM »
Sindra@

I liked the vid! One thing I noticed is that you talked about the zombies that have flies buzzing around them in the prototype but not in the final version. That's actually not the case. Playing through Bloodlines multiple times in the past (even on console) I have encountered the occasional zombie that does indeed have flies buzzing around them. It's not something that happens frequently but more rare. But it is definitely in the final release.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline rasgar

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 08:11:09 PM »
It seems the MEGA link has gone down. Could anyone share this again?

Tags:

anything