Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why was CV1 a FDS game?  (Read 5977 times)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: September 04, 2015, 01:18:18 PM »
Literally the only thing CV benefits from on FDS is the save feature, but the game is so short it doesn't really need it. Hell, they even rereleased it on cart years later.

CV2 does take advantage of extra sound channels and makes a creepier sound for its OST and its such a big game that the save feature is a welcome plus on the hardware.

It was right not to go for FDS for 3, and thank god they added that sound chip 8)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 12:29:11 AM »
Maybe at the time it wasn't feasible to put the original CV on a cartridge. Not monetary-wise but memory-wise. It's like that article i read about in Nintendo power some years back and they showed a diagram about memory storage for carts. As the tech improved they were able to 'compact' the information stored in a cart which they weren't able to do previously. This is only a guess as I am no expert on these things.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »
Maybe at the time it wasn't feasible to put the original CV on a cartridge. Not monetary-wise but memory-wise. It's like that article i read about in Nintendo power some years back and they showed a diagram about memory storage for carts. As the tech improved they were able to 'compact' the information stored in a cart which they weren't able to do previously. This is only a guess as I am no expert on these things.

Interesting, and it makes sense: Earlier famicom cart games were super simple (Nuts and Milk (yes, thats its name)) and the bigger games on disc. Then once the tech got better, they could put a huge game like CV3 on art WITH  a sound chip to boot.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 01:39:13 AM »
I always just assumed that Konami wanted to put another game out for the (at the time) new FDS, above all other factors. But yeah, it is a really weird game to have on a disk system, considering its length.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 06:04:31 PM »
I always just assumed that Konami wanted to put another game out for the (at the time) new FDS, above all other factors. But yeah, it is a really weird game to have on a disk system, considering its length.

Exactly my thought. I think there is a lot of other games that doesn't even use or need a save feature and still are a FDS game.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything