Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed  (Read 194275 times)

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »
Always wondered how the actual show would look like. And I'll admit it actually looks great. I wouldn't mind follow-up series (DX and SOTN especially) being done in this style.

The writing/plot is another matter. It does look like they're following Ellis' draft, and the very idea's pretty nailbiting. Let's hope the execution makes up for it, or that the script's significantly different now.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2017, 07:57:06 PM »
I'm still erring on the cautious side for this on account of POWER/RANGERS being a bit of an edgy wank IMO.
POWER/RANGERS was made with the intention of being a joke trailer, making fun of the notion that was highly circulating entertainment during the 00s-early 2010s where every thing "re-imagined" has to be done so through a dark, gritty and "grounded" form. That trailer was poking fun at that sorta bullshit trend. Fuckin' buzzwords, I remember that time, I would search through Bloody Disgusting articles and how many reboots were being announced where the directors and producers were pushing the whole "grounded, gritty reboot" angle. Glad we've moved past that, for the most part. There's still grounded, gritty properties, but they don't go out of their way to say it, they just DO it and nuff said!

That being said, never was a fan of the LoS series, so seeing this teaser, yeah, THIS is the Castlevania I know and love. MY Castlevania!

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2017, 09:05:49 PM »
Just 4 episodes? Oh well...
I liked the animation, so it is a must watch.

Offline Dracul_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »
Have you seen that the crest in tbe back of Trevor looks very very similar to the LOS Belmont Crest?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »
That's exactly what that sigil is a reference to.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
This looks okay. It's not mind-blowing in terms of animation, but it looks decent enough. although Trevor's whip should be the long chain flail as that's the true form of the weapon itself. If anything leather is only going to end up turning Dracula's crank a bit  :-[

He's not fighting because some authority sent him or some vendetta.

Actually Grant does have a vendetta. Against Dracula because of what the vampire king did to his family, and then imprisoning him as a cursed spirit in the clocktower. Both Japanese and English games indicate this though the English version was a lot lighter in tone.

I'm glad Trevor isn't barbarian looking.

He seems to be more barbarian-looking in the trailer with all the skins he's wearing. Whereas in the CVIII game cart art he's almost wearing full-on plate mail which makes him look more like a knight then what Simon was sporting in CVI.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:44:27 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »
+1

In the immortal words of Val Venis:

"I came...

...I saw...

...and I came again."

(Does this mean I have to update DCTP something fierce for its 20th Anniversary on Sunday?)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:30:43 PM by Eric Roman »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2017, 11:10:33 PM »
I think "barbaric" in this context means more the whole Conan "no sleeves, no pants, look at these chiseled muscles wait ow why are they taking damage" thing, not necessarily that he's wearing skins.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2017, 11:44:38 PM »
On the poster, Dracula looks like Dave Grohl.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Oniros

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2017, 11:56:21 PM »
I am beyond pumped up for this!
Same, it looks so much better than I expected!
(click to show/hide)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2017, 01:16:24 AM »
When I checked the Dungeon this morning and saw this thread had exploded I knew something must have been revealed.

At first, I really dreaded watching the trailer. But from what I saw, I think like they really nailed the look of how CV's world should look like in animated form. I'm honestly suprised at how animeish this looks despite the fact that before they insisted it was absolutely not going to be anime. So it's no suprise to me that this isn't actually being done anymore by Frederator.  I have never heard before of Powerhouse Animation but they seem like an excellent choice.   

Moving on to my thoughts about the character designs. I think they a really good job on Sypha. Her looks reminds of a really cool piece of fan art of her that I found years ago. Alucard is looking like Alucard, so that's fine with me. Dracula, with his longish hair, as well as the mustache and goatee, looks like a younger version of CoD incarnation. So that's neat! I'm glad they went with that character design instead of a Bela Lugosi look or something like that. Trevor looks good as well. His character design is something I could see appearing in an actual game. I couldn't see clearly if he already had his eye scar, like Plottwist said.   

So consider me relieved when it comes to the look and character designs! I guess what remains now is to wait and see how good the script will be.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2017, 03:59:17 AM »
Wow, colour me surprised, this is looking better than I was expecting!  It's reminding me a lot visually of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and Hellsing Ultimate, as has already been mentioned, which is actually the sort of style I'd go for.  Alucard looks amazing (aside for a small nitpick of his hair being a touch too dark a blonde, but yay for them going for the Ayami Kojma redesign), and Sypha looks fabulous.  I think Trevor's look is the one I'm least keen on, but then again, to me Trevor looks like his CoD onwards incarnation.  But I think that it works, as like with the aims for the Vampire Hunter D series,this seems to have a fusion of Western animation meets anime look to it, and Trevor's design here fits that.  The music sounds spot on as well, which also makes me very happy.  The intro bit is kind of reminding me of Baba Yaga's music box arrangement of Vampire Killer.  I'm wondering whether in this version, they'll be using the original background for Alucard being a full vampire, or whether like with his appearance use his SotN onwards backstory as a dhampir.  This was a great surprise before heading to bed for me.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2017, 05:23:17 AM »
If this does well, what game will they adapt into a series next? Rondo of Blood?

This might be an inpopular opinion, but I hope they don't adapt any other games. The reason adapting CV3 is interesting is because there's enough amount of material to expand on, plus there's the benefit of adding later contributions to the canon like perhaps elements from LoI and SotN. If they would adapt, say the original Castlevania, that might sound cool at first but if you think about it a little more the amount of material they would have to work with would fit on a paper napkin. It would be: "Simon goes into the castle and kills things: The Animation". CV3 has the only plot that lends itself well to adaptation.   

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2017, 07:59:10 AM »
This might be an inpopular opinion, but I hope they don't adapt any other games. The reason adapting CV3 is interesting is because there's enough amount of material to expand on, plus there's the benefit of adding later contributions to the canon like perhaps elements from LoI and SotN. If they would adapt, say the original Castlevania, that might sound cool at first but if you think about it a little more the amount of material they would have to work with would fit on a paper napkin. It would be: "Simon goes into the castle and kills things: The Animation". CV3 has the only plot that lends itself well to adaptation.   

Other than adapting the "Dracula X" stuff i cant picture any other Castlevanias working as a tv show.
I would honestly prefer more games.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2017, 08:00:34 AM »

I agree that the original Castlevania doesn't have a ton of plot to draw on for an adaptation, but I could see them adapting something like Rondo of Blood. You'd have the attack on Aljiba to set up Richter's quest, and then Terra, Iris, and most importantly Maria and Annette as side characters for Richter to play off of, along with Shaft and his role in resurrecting Dracula. It would also be a perfect tie-in to a potential Symphony of the Night series.

Tags:

anything