Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first Castlevania game that's impossible to obtain.  (Read 5653 times)

Offline Roki

• Creating Music and Fangames
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
The first Castlevania game that's impossible to obtain.
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:05:03 AM »
Now, we all know that Castlevania games are rare. Some are pretty high up on the rarity scale, like 'A New Era', 'Akumajo Dracula X6800', or any of the arcade games. However, as far as I'm aware, today is the first day where it is impossible to legally obtain one particular Castlevania game.
The game is question is 'Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth' for the Nintendo Wii.
As of January 30th 2019, the Wii Shop Channel is no longer able to be used. Any titles exclusive to the Wii Shop Channel are now unable to be purchased or downloaded.
In my opinion, I think 'ReBirth' should get a re-release on modern consoles and PC. What do you guys think?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: The first Castlevania game that's impossible to obtain.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 11:47:05 AM »
They can put it out on the Switch along with Rondo of Blood, Gradius Rebirth, and Contra Rebirth... if they wanted to.
But they don't want to.

As for it no longer being able to be downloaded well... I actually have the file of it somewhere on my PC and it plays with Dolphin, but it's a gray area.  I own the Wii version, though.

I did hear that the Wii Shop is closed for good now.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Roki

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 11:52:16 AM »
I'm aware that you can emulate Wii titles via emulators like Dolphin, which is why I mentioned the legality in the original post. I do think it's a shame that it's no longer available. I've personally never played it, but I've heard good things about it, and the music is godlike.

Online Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »
Doubtful Konami would do this, but like Jorge said, they could always do a ReBirth collection for Switch, maybe even do a physical copy. That would be ideal. They'd probably wanna keep Rondo as part of the CV Requiem package.

CV ReBirth is like the best WiiWare game out there. I'm also a big fan of Zombie Panic in Wonderland, and the only way to play the original version is on the Wii; the version that recently made it to Switch (also on 3DS) is just the mobile version which made numerous changes and just isn't as enjoyable a game.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:16:38 PM »
I still have my WiiWware version.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Succubus

• Head Priestess of the Monkey Cult
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 06:37:56 AM »
Technically, if you wanted to acquire it legally, you could buy a used Wii that happens to have it installed (by someone who also acquired it legally, back when the Wii Shop channel was still alive). It's not really any different from buying a physical copy of a retro game. Either way, the publisher isn't seeing a cent of your money, only the reseller. It's just a lot more cumbersome to buy an entire system to get access to a game, and it'd be like trying to a find a needle in a haystack searching for one with all the games you want installed.

I sincerely hope Konami will do a re-release of the Rebirth games someday, even though I do have Castlevania and Gradius on my Wii already. I've actually been playing Castlevania Rebirth for the first time just lately. It's not among the best of the best of the classic-style Castlevania games, but it's still really solid. Puts up a decent challenge on the default settings too, in my opinion. I still haven't beaten Death, but I'm getting good enough at the stage before him that I'll probably reach Drac soon.

Offline Roki

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »
While I do agree that that is certainly a legal method, it takes too much time and effort, plus I believe that all devices sold second hand in the UK must be wiped prior to the sale to prevent cybercrime like keylogging. So while that method might work for some, it won't work for everyone.

Online Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 03:24:40 PM »
CV ReBirth's biggest appeal mostly stems from it being a Castlevania in the classic style when all the Metroidvanias were still fresh on our minds. It's a serviceable game, and I think the in-level branching paths are pretty cool. It'd be cool if Konami ever allowed M2 to make a sequel or another CV game, but eh, not likely at this point. Pumping out a mediocre Bomberman game is easier.

Contra ReBirth is fun, too. Sloppier than the games it takes inspiration from (namely III and Hard Corps), but it's a worthwhile effort. The best parts of both games are their soundtracks.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »
Sorry if you're trying to forget about them, but Order of Shadows, Encore of the Night, and the mobile versions of Castlevania 1 and Aria of Sorrow are also impossible to obtain legally.  To my knowledge, at least.

Offline Succubus

• Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 06:44:53 AM »
That's a good point. Mobile games are quickly lost to the abyss. And they don't seem as easy to emulate either, since few care about old, forgotten mobile games.

Offline Roki

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 07:31:48 AM »
To be honest, I completely forgot about mobile games. I think that out of them, the biggest loss is Order of Shadows. Aria and CV1 are available on other platforms, and Encore of the Night isn't a proper Castlevania game. The only one I know is definitely unavailable is Encore, as that was on iOS, and you can't get it any more. I think that out of these, Aria is the one which has the greatest chance to have survived. My reasoning for this is that the BlackBerry version of Sonic Advance is still available, and both of these ports seem to have been done at around the same time.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 01:01:01 PM »
They can put it out on the Switch along with Rondo of Blood, Gradius Rebirth, and Contra Rebirth... if they wanted to.
But they don't want to.

As for it no longer being able to be downloaded well... I actually have the file of it somewhere on my PC and it plays with Dolphin, but it's a gray area.  I own the Wii version, though.

I did hear that the Wii Shop is closed for good now.

I don't think that's a grey area at all. If you paid for it, you should be able to keep it. It's yours. You own it. Period.
Now if you got by stealing it, then that's on you. (That's general you, not You you, Jorge.)

Anyway. Yeah, Konami should release it on steam or something at least.
Wouldn't take that much by way of investment to get it and the rest of those games running on PC.
but apparently Konami is allergic to intelligence and making money.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:07:07 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Succubus

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 06:02:53 AM »
It's possible that Konami might've struck a deal with Nintendo on the Rebirth games that requires exclusivity. Of course, even if that were the case, it probably would be no problem getting them re-released on Switch at least.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 10:44:49 PM »
That's totally possible, probable even and ... Oh My God I just realized who I was talking too!
Warms my cold and blackened heart to see both our names in the same thread. : D  <<33
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:51:13 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Succubus

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 06:00:39 AM »
Indeed, long time, no see. I hope you've been well. :)

Tags:

anything