Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Akumajo Dracula Game: Grimoire of Souls (Story Mode Ended)  (Read 92414 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: New Akumajo Dracula Game: Grimoire of Souls (TGS 2019 Showcase)
« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2019, 08:08:50 AM »
Well we can only theorize at this point...

Jonathan’s heir passed the whip to Julius, his/her name isn’t any more important than Juste or Soleiyu’s sons names

Alucard couldn’t have went immediately to sleep after 1797, because we know that he was awake/present long enough to create the Alcarde Spier for Eric. And then sometime after, he joined that secret Japanese government agency. So there must have been at most, a decade or 2 that he was still active after SotN

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2019, 05:33:26 PM »
So... hmm... maybe not a decade or two, just long enough to get past Nocturne of Recollection, and creating the spear, passing it, and going to sleep?
Because he doesn't seem to recall the Belmonts fading into obscurity, which happened only a few years later in the 1800's.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #197 on: October 02, 2019, 11:50:29 AM »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Just responding to this because I got the impression that there is a misunderstanding of what told you: When we talked, I expressed being weirded out by the fact that Alucard -- who we would assume has all important info on Dracula -- has no clue who these key people who defeated Dracula are. His characterization comes off as too clueless for someone so important, is what I said (and there's a bit that makes him come off as kinda incompetent, too). Strange writing on my opinion, but GoS contradicts nothing if it says that Jon and Charlotte were not in 1999. There was no confirmation they *were* to being with.

And on this subject- previous info suggested Alucard not going to sleep after SotN. He wandered the ages looking for a way to completelly defeat Dracula (and in the meantime handed down the spear to the Lecardes, as mentioned previously here). This is explained on his Judgment intro, ending, and touched upon on DoS Library. Also, Judgment showed that Alucard knew who the Morris are (in general, not "specific Morrises", same as Lecardes, who he seemed to know "in general", not Eric in specific), and what is their role. So, it appears he also knew the Belmonts had vanished. But now, with this extreme lack of clue on his part, I'm starting to believe he took another nap or something.

Now it's wait to see how the new story unfolds or what detail it adds/changes. It's nice to see it getting clarification, even if not minutiously detailed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 02:28:24 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: October 02, 2019, 03:52:23 PM »
this game is good

there's a lot of good mobility stuff that feels good, like simon's whip. it feels a lot more designed than say, hodespair, was. and the combat is pretty nicely designed for the gauntlet style of level design it has going for it. it's a lot more strategical in a way than metroidvanias, especially with the emphasis on enemy placement. only main issues for me are technical and the controls.

like ironically despite being mobile game, it's a lot less "casual and relaxing" than the metroidvanias, but the platform isnt really good for the finesse the controls demand, esp with all the gestures needed for specials or dodging.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:41:28 PM by thernz »

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #199 on: October 02, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »
Can you imagine if Tencent Games had given this the Contra Returns treatment?

-Off-the-wall original characters like robots, sentient bears, and interdimensional sorcerers
-Script written and voiced by obvious ESLers
-More loot, currency types, and direct purchase options
-Okay remixed music
-Crossover characters from other Tencent titles and fricking DC Comics (Contra Returns has Green Arrow and Arena of Valor's Elsu)
-Everyone would basically look like they stepped out of League of Legends

Amusing to think about, but I'd give it a hard pass in the end.

(click to show/hide)

Offline OldSchoolArikado

• Castlemaniac
  • Hunter in Training
  • Se habla español
    • Castlevania Latino
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2019, 11:25:42 PM »
If someone have problems whit the game can play using memu.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 11:28:11 PM by OldSchoolArikado »

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2019, 01:40:30 AM »
So... hmm... maybe not a decade or two, just long enough to get past Nocturne of Recollection, and creating the spear, passing it, and going to sleep?
Because he doesn't seem to recall the Belmonts fading into obscurity, which happened only a few years later in the 1800's.
Guess he ended up being too sad to stick around with Maria and Richter after Lyudmil died after all.  It's a bit funny that they push AluMaria a bit in GoS even though the same game also implies he didn't stay with her due to his apparent lack of knowledge of certain non-obscure events.

Also...
https://66.media.tumblr.com/6f77935c07f43aa42c09a50a87507398/5f10b21adf2cab4d-6b/s500x750/28950b02da6c27c4ab5d06be22cecf6b0d4973de.png
Okay, this is really petty of me, but wtf?  Alucard and bad grammar do not mix.  Who is responsible for this? >_>
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:43:18 AM by Gaawa-chan »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2019, 07:52:05 PM »
I think at this point, the canonity of the radio drama, and all the Iga era non-game content, is highly suspect.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #203 on: October 06, 2019, 05:35:26 PM »
Some could say the same about this game since IGA's not involved.

I see we have a Seward descendant in charge of Elgos. Wonder if we'll get a Holmwood, Harker, and Van Helsing too.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: October 06, 2019, 11:18:46 PM »
Kinda makes me wonder how the Novel itself ties in, bc a version of it is already in canon with Bloodlines' setup.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #205 on: October 07, 2019, 12:57:22 AM »
Kinda makes me wonder how the Novel itself ties in, bc a version of it is already in canon with Bloodlines' setup.

Lucy is literally named Lucy Westenra, the same name as the woman from the novel. I think Seward has the same full name as the novel, making the connection even weirder.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: October 07, 2019, 01:37:31 AM »

If they'll ever turn it into a game it I'll probably be just Quincy and a bunch of original characters. I guess they could still throw in a Harker,  a Holmwood and a Van Helsing.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: October 07, 2019, 03:50:25 AM »
Some could say the same about this game since IGA's not involved.
Mmm, GoS does not exactly work exceedingly well within the overall narrative.  Sort of reminds me of Judgment in that way, though Judgment did try a bit to logically fit using existing threats and plot points, whereas GoS is just kinda like... hey that magic book cameo cast thing HoD did has monetization potential, let's push the magic book cameos as far as we can.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 03:52:12 AM by Gaawa-chan »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: October 07, 2019, 06:24:13 AM »
I think GoS fits in fine so far. All the objections I've seen brought up so far are based on fanon. I suppose the issue is that everyone has a very specific view of the storyline and the characters, so when cross-over games like Judgment and GoS come out people tend to get upset when something conflicts with their own interpretation.   

I do have the feeling GoS's interpretation of the timeline might be different from that of Judgment's. I mostly base that on Simon's character characterization and overall physique being completely different between the two games (they might as well be different characters), and the fact that the GoS seems to hint Alucard wasn't all that active in between 1797-ish and 1999. It would make sense if they ignored it because of Judgment's overall lack of popularity. I could be wrong, though.     
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:26:03 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2019, 07:24:00 AM »
I'm only just now reaching the Symphony of the Night grimoire, which has a much higher level requirement than what I currently possess... so... it's time to... GRIND!

I'm happy that I picked up a Yasutsuna and some other goodies on a lucky Summon, but there is bit of input lag when playing with a wired USB DS4 that's throwing off my game.  And with Bluetooth, that lag gets much worse to the point of it being unplayable.  So I'm only playing sometimes, when I have my DS4 nearby.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: