Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I don't like live-action TV shows very much, but...  (Read 3428 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
I don't like live-action TV shows very much, but...
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:47:53 PM »
Goddamn, I'm such an Ultraman fan. I just started watching it. The first Ultraman I ever watched was Great Decisive Battle! Super Brothers Ultra 8 (Giga Chimera is fucking boss!). Tonight I decided to watch Ultraman Mebius. I couldn't believe it, I was hooked by the 2nd episode. This series is so addicting! And episode 4 was funny -- Ultraman Pokemon! Miclas, I choose you! Kelbeam used Tail Whip. Miclas used Tackle. Miclas's attack missed!
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
Re: I don't like live-action TV shows very much, but...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 01:36:57 AM »
why is this not a Breaking Bad thread?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »
Ultraman Tiga vs Kyrieloid

Ultraman Tiga VS Evil Tiga

I never watched all episodes, since they restarted from the 1st one after airing this episode in my country T.T
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:32:32 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »
Damn, Kyrieloid has some moves!

I have a hunch all the Ultraman episodes (all series) haven't been translated yet, so I may never get to enjoy the whole series. I just remember thinking when I watched clips months ago I was like, "This looks so hokey and cheesy." And when I watched Super Brothers Ultra 8 at first I was like, "Ugh, even out of nostalgia, how the hell could any adult stand to watch this?" But then by the end of the movie when they battled Giga Chimera I was like, "Holy shit this battle is fucking awesome!"

Last night I read a review of the series on some guy's blog and everything made a little more sense afterward. Like Power Rangers/Super Sentai, Ultraman is very formulaic: kaiju appears, current defense force tries to stop it, defense force gets beat, Ultraman appears, the two kaiju duke it out. Just like Power Rangers, you could always count on a giant battle before the end of the episode. Rather than killing the series by never breaking from the trope, it actually helps tokusatsu shows because it frames the story. The writers don't need to spend as much time worrying about the battle, so they can focus more on the story. Furthermore, since you know the battle is going to happen, you can focus on how to make each battle different.

I still thought it was pretty awesome that episode 1 of Ultraman Moebius ended with Moebius getting cussed out by the surviving pilot of GUYS Japan because the city got trashed during Moebius' first fight. I can't stand Moebius' actor or the adjutant (I know he's supposed to be the same trope as Bulk & Skull, but at least Bulk & Skull were entertaining). The preschool teacher is a bit annoying, but she has her moments (good crier). All the actors ham it up so bad except maybe the biker lady and possibly the soccer star. Oh I like the captain of GUYS in Ultraman Moebius. I think that guy does a great job as an actor. So much subtle, refrained emotion in his face. Meh, I'm watching a children's show; I can't really complain I guess.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
I've only ever watched one Ultraman live action show. It was back in the early 90's and I pretty sure it was  a movie meant to kick off the series. I don't remember the title but i do know that there is a SNES title based off that movie;

"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »
I've only ever watched one Ultraman live action show. It was back in the early 90's and I pretty sure it was  a movie meant to kick off the series. I don't remember the title but i do know that there is a SNES title based off that movie;

gamecenter cx did a let's play of that. man that last shot....
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »
I ripped the sprite for an NES Ultraman game.

http://spriters-resource.com/nes/ultramanclub/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
I ripped the sprite for an NES Ultraman game.

So you're a member of The Spriter's Resourse then?
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 05:51:10 AM »
The most recent ultraman movie I watched on TV was:  Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legend The Movie

It was awesome!!!

Trivia: Former Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi was the voice of Ultraman King. hehehe.

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 07:34:50 AM »
So you're a member of The Spriter's Resourse then?

Used to be. Haven't worked on sprites since my graveyard shift days were over. Ripping sprites is a great way to pass a boring shift. It's not a fun way to pass your free-time at home. Then again neither is programming, but at least programming activates my brain for a bit. If I ever start back up on sprite ripping, I'll probably go back to working on the Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike series, but since it's been so long since I started ripping them, it'll probably be hard to get back into the mindset for them. The sprite data for the series is a mess because everything was pre-rendered and I can't figure out how it was stored in the ROM. And the sprite data seems to be interpolated or something, because I can see one set of mini-people, scroll one step through the sprite data, and find an entirely different set of people. I eventually devised a method of opening a save state, recoloring all grass tiles to solid bright green, and then using screen captures to isolate the sprites I wanted. It was slow and tedious and it didn't help that the sprite sheet for one helicopter alone was as big if not bigger than the all the town and building tiles from Pokemon Red/Blue combined.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
I can definitely agree on it being tedious at time, but I do find myself enjoying it whenever I get the chance. It does keep me in practice at learning to recognize said sprites from the backgrounds via ripping sprites from screenshots without changing the palette.

Tags:

anything