Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Dawn of Sorrow - Definitive Edition+" Updates  (Read 3417 times)

Online Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
"Dawn of Sorrow - Definitive Edition+" Updates
« on: April 18, 2022, 06:41:41 PM »
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5610/

I wonder why there's no discussion here about this pretty delicious mod, the recent updates improved the game in a significant way, most issues from the original game are also addressed. Since v2.0 I booted my DSi and blazed through the mod over and over again, I must say I love these variants of hacks to death. For now my only gripe would be the lacking of an “undub” version which picked all the cut Japanese voice clips back in action.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: "Dawn of Sorrow - Definitive Edition+" Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 11:26:39 PM »
The video doesn't showcase Julius mode unfortunately. I have to wonder if they gave him a "proper"-looking Vampirekiller whip then the original version.

The only DoS hack I've played so far is the Juste Belmont one. The difficulty is a little up there, but I've managed to beat the game. Sonia mode I thought was a nice touch for an otherwise overlooked underrated character. Her design works well as does her backstory for the hack. The only thing I didn't get was why she has such a short VK whip. It should be the same length as Juste's since it 'IS' the same weapon. A bit of an injustice for her I feel. Not only that but it should be the fire whip since Juste also has access to it in-game. At the very least it looks like we see it in SotN/PoR.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Online Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 12:01:47 AM »
DE+ Julius did have the whip changed to be more in line with his Vampire Killer in HD, although the author doesn't want to add the air diagonal attacks. In "Definitive mode" patch in V2.0 and above he gets the Omnia Vanitas move as in AoS and HD but the skill activation sprite is custom and it eats up his default back dash (as in AoS). Julius also gets a proper high jump in "Definitive mode" patch instead of only able to perform an uppercut once. Julius Grand Cross is now made fully invincible from start to the end while in the original he doesn't have startup invincibility for Grand Cross.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 12:09:26 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

Online Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 05:35:33 PM »
Version 2.3 has Magical Ticket imported! This changed a lot of things, this time the all 3 DSVanias are officially in the same stand point. Not only Speedruns would benifit greatly from its inclusion, but casual plays also did. It was too good... The repetitive walking when you want to go back to warp points from far away, now became history, especially in soul farming.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 05:45:11 PM by Aceearly1993 »

Online Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 08:53:16 PM »
So I was torturing myself; Level 1 cap + Hard mode on clean new game, no consumable item/weapon synths/chaos ring usage. Oh my gosh the Menace was so bad; the black mouth things were everywhere and always bit me into pieces. I kinda regret my decision. The added pickups in DE+ DM version didn't really help against it. I can sense why the unedited DoS was often panned as the inferior one in the 3 DSVania games. Perfectly countering the black mouth things relies too much on the high DPS (damage per second) options and chaos ring, which is a thing I'm not quite happy about it.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 09:39:32 AM »
There will always need to be a balance in some form or another in whatever games that are made. Otherwise they'd be not very playable and not fun at all.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: