Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Interview with Kinuyo Yamashita, the composer of the first castlevania  (Read 8269 times)

Offline Modo7

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
I just made an interview with Kinuyo Yamashita and maybe is interesting for a Castlevania fan (like me!). Is not only about the Castlevania music, but many of the questions/answers are related to that game and her work in the early Konami

http://gamikia.com/interview-with-game-composer-kinuyo-yamashita

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Interview with Kinuyo Yamashita, the composer of the first castlevania
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »
Wow, very cool interview.  Thank you for conducting it and for letting us know about it.  Miss Yamashita seems to have an excellent grasp of the English language, especially for a non-native speaker.  It's amazing that such good music was the first attempt of a non-musician to create a game soundtrack.  In a sense, it's a bit of a letdown, because it makes it seem like Castlevania's legacy of beautiful music was begun by accident.

Offline snusnumrik

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 11:47:45 PM »
thanls for the interview
it was intresting to learn more about game making

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:48:42 AM »
That was an awesome interview.

Nice arrangement of MMX3 as well.

Wow, very cool interview.  Thank you for conducting it and for letting us know about it.  Miss Yamashita seems to have an excellent grasp of the English language, especially for a non-native speaker.  It's amazing that such good music was the first attempt of a non-musician to create a game soundtrack.  In a sense, it's a bit of a letdown, because it makes it seem like Castlevania's legacy of beautiful music was begun by accident.

Lots of wonderful things happen by accident.  I'm glad it happened the way it did.

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:01:02 AM »
Great interview! Thanks for posting this. :)

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 02:07:29 AM »
It's a shame she hasn't really done music for many games like the Castlevanias after creating such classics for the original (I also loved the MMX3 stuff). Or high profile, high budget next gen stuff even. Such insane potential is being wasted on stuff like WWF WrestleMania 2000, Bass Masters Classic and Hello Kitty no Gotōchi Collection. The themes of games like that just seem to greatly suppress the ability to make classic and widely beloved game music.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 02:09:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing it. :)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 04:16:01 AM »

Power Blade has such an amazing soundtrack. It's definitely one of my favourite NES soundtracks ever, and I only recently learnt that it was by the same composer who did Castlevania. Listening to both soundtracks now, it makes sense.

I am surprised she mentioned Mega Man X3 as her favourite soundtrack though. I think it's very forgettable compared to her other work, but maybe that's just me. To be honest, I only liked the soundtrack in MMX. What followed was painful to get into, IMO. Especially X2, but also X3.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 10:08:28 AM »
Wow. Konami's attitude hasn't changed at all. Reading this interview, they are still a big fat @$$ now as they were then. Koodos to her for getting out while she could.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »
 Ending from Mega Man X3 by Kinuyo
She put this up recently.  I was pretty happy with her Piano rendition.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 10:40:37 PM »
thanks for sharing, this was an interesting read indeed.

Offline RavenZX13

• Atop the bell tower....
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »
Much appreciated for sharing this interview. Funny if she knew how big the music will get to be when she initially made the music.
Life is a gift. Death is the return policy.

Don't forget the receipt on your way out......

Offline crimsonmist

• the fate of a fallen hunter
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »
you conducted this interview with a music composer? wow, did that take you much courage?
i'm especially impressed you did that, considering i'm really afraid to conduct interviews myself
GAME OVER

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
It's awesome that she lives just a few towns away from me. :)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline GummiCandyful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Lurker
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »
Nice interview. I share her sentiments on the MMX3 soundtrack ; it was one of my favorites (the PSX version, anyway) in the entire series.  Anyway, I wonder how you were so lucky enough to get her to answer questions. Awesome work, nonetheless. I enjoyed it.
 :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:15:31 PM by GummiCandyful »

The Triforce of Fuckery