Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What's your OS?  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »
 In my absence, I've observed some 4chan /g/ discussions (yeah, I've been THAT bored lol) and now that I remembered that... what OS do you use? Do you have a second or third one too? Feel free to share your experience with them here (Android and iOS included).

Im thinking in trying something new like linux and see how they evolved, since I've used it long years ago, when Debian and Red Hat are becoming famous here and no one even knew what is linux until then. My preferred Windows is 98, I use a XP in my house and right now Im on a 7 on my mom notebook, atleast the BSOD doesnt appeared not even one time to me in 7 and thats a good thing (but it still more resources-hungry than XP).

Also, install gentoo
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:30:44 PM »
Desktop:
Windows 7 (primary)
Windows XP (dual booting)
Windows 8 Trial (on virtual machine)

Laptop:
Windows 7 (primary)
Windows 8 Trial (on another HDD, have to swap, wont dual boot for some reason)

Home Server:
Fedora Core 10 (outdated, I know, but does the job)

I like Windows 8, but it doesn't like my Laptop's drivers, and it's unlikely that HP will ever fix the drivers for my model. I'll consider upgrading on my Desktop though. It's pretty nifty so far.

Linux isn't good for anyone who doesn't know what they're doing. The GUI is lacking, sometimes even faulty, and doesn't include all options and features. If you don't know how to, or are not comfortable with, using the console to text command everything on your OS, then it's going to be a complete nightmare and you shouldn't even bother with it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless your goal is to run a web server or something on the advanced spectrum like that.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:43:22 AM »
Windows 7

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:51:56 AM »
I used to have a plugin for this forum which showed forum members what OS they were using.
But someone bitched about it, something about "I don't want people to know what I'm using", so I took it down.

Not like it really makes a difference, right?
Oh, and I'm mostly on WindowsXP still.
And on AndroidOS on the Tablet (Ice Cream Sandwich).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:01:13 AM »
 Yeah I know what you mean, some people are a little paranoic about privacy, the funny thing is that they want to continue anonymous but dont even search ways to really do so xD

What about your android, the emulators run smoothly on them?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:13:59 AM »
Yes, they doooooooo.  So good.
NES has no screen tearing, and SNES has almost none (I want to say 'none' but honestly I wasn't paying attention).
Though I can play GBA I haven't really had a need to.

Supposedly I can play N64 and Playstation, but those emulators keep on putting shortcuts to ads on your homescreens, which I found very annoying and after the 3rd ad was added, I just uninstalled.  And I don't really want to pay for emulator app use.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:23:58 AM »
I have win 8 on one computer here at home and 7 on my "server" computer I use for my minecraft server and its all 7 at work. I have Jelly Bean on both my tablet and phone

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:29:07 AM »
I hate intrusive ads. I think its disrespectful.

Hey Aridale, do you play minecraft or only host to the friends? I play it sometimes and would enjoy to play with someone from here xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 07:42:19 AM »
This reminds me of arguments the nerds in my Junior high had. Among the nerd community, the type of your hardware or screen card was equivalent to penis size. It was all about having more RAM and more MHZ and if you had a CPU from a second-rate company you better never mention it or you'll be ridiculed for all eternity.

Damn. For a bunch of nerds, those guys were ASSHOLES. On the other hand, back in Junior High, who wasn't.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »
Speaking of Minecraft, I do run three servers off of my desktop. I put them on the SSD, which honestly is the only way to go since the main bottle neck for these servers is read and write speed. Without an SSD you'll notice lag on a lot of things, especially when you have more than 5 people on at once.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 07:51:50 AM »
What is a bottle neck? I heard that SSD is insanely fast compared to a HDD, its true? I never asked you about your minecraft server because you seems to be a busy person without time to play lol
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 08:18:43 AM »
A bottle neck is, essentially, a spot within a path in which the flow of something slows down.

Think of it this way: You have a pipe the diameter of your arm, so water flows through it at a certain speed.
Then you have a part of the pipe which has the diameter of a BOTTLE NECK. ;)
In that part of the pipe, the flow of water will slow down.

In terms of computing, it is a part of your system, whether physical hardware or in the software, in which data flow rates slow down.  In UZO's case, the physical problem of the read/write speed of a conventional hard drive causes a natural bottleneck.  Thus, he switched to a SSD (Solid State Drive), which, by nature, has no such physical problems.  Thus, he solved the bottleneck situation and as a result has a faster system/server/MinecraftWorld.

I'm interested in Minecraft.  I'd like to build something for it but I don't want to spend time fighting zombies or whatever: I just wanna build.
Maybe something nice and Castlevania-ish.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 08:22:48 AM »
Jorge beat me to it. That is what a bottle neck is.

Also Jorge, Minecraft has many modes. You can do unlimited building mode. You can even do survival without monsters. It's fully customizable on all levels.

And finally, yes, at this point I've not been playing because running a video game company is a lot of work. I don't have the time to sink into Minecraft, or risk it's addictive nature.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »
Cool, now I understand what a bottle neck is (it even have a apropriate name), thanks for sharing that with me. Maybe I will create a Minecraft thread later (or join one if it exists).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »
Supposedly I can play N64 and Playstation, but those emulators keep on putting shortcuts to ads on your homescreens, which I found very annoying and after the 3rd ad was added, I just uninstalled.  And I don't really want to pay for emulator app use.

What N64 emulator are you using? I've got Project 64 on my machine and no annoying pop-up adds. Also my OS is Windows 7. I don't feel like I can trust Windows 8 yet.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."