Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MOVIES  (Read 119140 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 12:24:52 AM »
Couple others I've watched:

Feast - 3/5 (RW)
Feast II: Sloppy Seconds - 1/5

I can definitely see where the writer–director team started getting s00p3r retarded and why Piranha DD sucked so bad. I couldn't understand how they'd gone from a pretty damn funny and enjoyable film like Feast (which I've been fond of for five years now) to something so asinine, dumb, and uncomically juvenile like Piranha DD. Then I realized their first movie was a fluke.

I'm sure I'd have watched more horror movies this month, but I've spent a lot of watching The Venture Bros. Rewatched the first 2 1/2 seasons, then went on to watch the second half of season three for the first time, and am currently about two-thirds through season four. Season five starts up THIS SUNDAY, although it's a special Halloween episode and the rest won't arrive until next year. Still really excited, though. What a great show; each episode gets better each time I watch it, since there's a lot of stuff that doesn't quite sink in the first time through.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:27:04 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »
I actually love Sleepy Hollow. But really only the first parts. The entire feeling of the town and areas is amazing. Once the action starts to pick up I can take it or leave it. Still all around a good movie tho.

Loved this flick! I remember seeing the old Disney adaption and was disappointed with the ending...because there wasn't any true ending to the story; just guesswork on the narrator's part. It literally left me hanging in the dark and wondering what happens next. Years later I learned that the 'Legend of Sleepy Hollow' was supposed to be that way but I still didn't like it. But when Tim Burton made his version of Sleepy Hollow I felt that my prayers were answered. The movie has an end to the story and it felt complete. It also laid out the reasons for the Headless horseman's murderous rampage. While the original story states that he was a Hessian mercenary who lost his head during the war of independence it didn't really explain why his "physical" body rose from the grave to menace the quiet little town rather then his ghost. At least in the movie there was a reason for it. I'm probably analyzing the original story too much but to me these are important questions that I felt were reasonably answered in Tim Berton's movie.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 11:27:45 AM »
I actually love Sleepy Hollow. But really only the first parts. The entire feeling of the town and areas is amazing. Once the action starts to pick up I can take it or leave it. Still all around a good movie tho.
I probably came off as overly-harsh in my thoughts above. I don't dislike the movie, I have some fond memories of it when it came out. It's just not a masterpiece. I like it but I want to like it so much more than I do, partly because Washington Irving's original short story has been my favorite ghost story since I was a little kid. I've seen the "Headless Horseman" treated really badly in film though, like one movie where a bunch of hippies set up a commune/roadside wild west attraction and not much of anything happens for an hour, then the heads are poorly done paper mache.

Loved this flick! I remember seeing the old Disney adaption and was disappointed with the ending...because there wasn't any true ending to the story; just guesswork on the narrator's part. It literally left me hanging in the dark and wondering what happens next. Years later I learned that the 'Legend of Sleepy Hollow' was supposed to be that way but I still didn't like it. But when Tim Burton made his version of Sleepy Hollow I felt that my prayers were answered. The movie has an end to the story and it felt complete. It also laid out the reasons for the Headless horseman's murderous rampage. While the original story states that he was a Hessian mercenary who lost his head during the war of independence it didn't really explain why his "physical" body rose from the grave to menace the quiet little town rather then his ghost. At least in the movie there was a reason for it. I'm probably analyzing the original story too much but to me these are important questions that I felt were reasonably answered in Tim Berton's movie.
That's certainly an understandable and fair enough opinion. The movie is a satisfying story, I just find it harmed by Cranes' unnecessary and out of place backstory (daddy issues) and art direction I've since become sick of. Though the latter complaint is obviously just a matter of taste, and it does help this film maintain a desired mood until the very end, instead of being pointless and/or out of place like in some later movies. *cough*Charlie&theChocolateFactory*cough*

I'm sure I'd have watched more horror movies this month, but I've spent a lot of watching The Venture Bros.
Similar story here, only I've been watching "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" I've always loved how deliciously and un-apologetically goofy and fun this series is from Season 2 on. It's so refreshing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:31:56 AM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
I oughta consider getting Herc on DVD sometime, or subscribe to Netflix if it's streaming. I loved that show growing up.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:57 PM »
I oughta consider getting Herc on DVD sometime, or subscribe to Netflix if it's streaming. I loved that show growing up.

Me to, I was just at that age where I was ashamed to admit I liked something so goofy and camp though, so I enjoyed it on the sly lol.
It's really the spiritual successor to the 1960s Batman show I think, high adventure and high camp. All done with charm.

Just a word of advice on the DVDs- if you get Season 1, the darkest, most serious and weakest season in the series, go for the older Anchor Bay set rather than the budget re-release.
The anchor bay sets had a lot of extras (commentaries and mini-documentaries most important among those) and probably less compression than the newer completely bare-bones re-release sets, which come on fewer discs. But the long out of print Anchor Bay releases have got a couple (fatal?) flaws. One is that they're in huge inconvenient digipacks, but the real problem is that they're not subtitled nor even closed captioned. I like to watch things with subtitles a lot of the time (I occasionally miss whispered or rushed lines) so that's a big problem for me. But unless your hearing is really bad go with the Anchor Bay set for season one since the re-release does not include the 5 "Action Pack" TV movies that served as the series pilot.

I've got seasons from both releases and I've seen compression artifacts in both (more blurryness in some episodes on the budget release, more grainyness on the anchor bay sets sometimes) some of that may just be from low quality original prints considering the primitive CGI that was used on the show a lot. But overall picture on the Anchor Bay sets may be better, but I've yet to see someone do a side-by-side comparison.

PS- I've never really been a fan of Xena, but I hear the recent budget releases of that series are actually very preferable to the old anchor bay sets, which for some strange reason (I mean wasn't Xena the more popular show?) had few if any extras and had the episodes out of order, or so I hear.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:29:24 PM by Ratty »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
I LOVED Hercules when I was younger and hated when it got canned in favor of Xena. I became a Xena fan way on down the road after like 5 seasons. I went back and tried to watch Xena again from the beginning on netflix earlier in the year and just couldnt do it. I didnt even make it to season 2.

I need to watch Herc tho... its on my instant queue

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »
I LOVED Hercules when I was younger and hated when it got canned in favor of Xena. I became a Xena fan way on down the road after like 5 seasons. I went back and tried to watch Xena again from the beginning on netflix earlier in the year and just couldnt do it. I didnt even make it to season 2.

I need to watch Herc tho... its on my instant queue

My advice is skip to season 2, that's when the show really lightened up and came into its own.

Xena always seemed to take itself waaay too seriously for me, but I've been meaning to borrow someone I know's season 1 set for a while to give it another chance.

PS - While we're on about now relatively obscure shows, anyone else a fan of Farscape? Another great show that didn't show it's true potential until the second season.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:41:44 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »
Farscape is one of my absolute favorite shows. Shame it got canned when it was still going super strong. You could've made a whole fifth season with all the stuff that was going on. I enjoyed The Peacekeeper Wars, but damn did that have a lot of loose ends to tie in three hours. Better than no closure at all, however.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 01:28:39 AM »
Watched a couple horror films tonight (well, technically last night):

Halloween (1978) - Still 5/5. Saw it at a theater. Screen Archives promised a new HD transfer and it was five bucks so it sounded fun to hit it up with a buddy. And it was fun seeing it on a big screen, however the presentation was lousy. Pretty good res on the picture, but the projection was all off, and the way they formatted the file was terrible as well. First off, it began with a new mini documentary. This was at like a really weird aspect ratio, might've been around 1.66:1. Or maybe it was supposed to be 1.85 but the projector was all messed up. So whatever this ratio was or was supposed to be, the movie was apparently on the same video file, and so the movie image was actually stuck within the same weird frame. So instead of filling the entire screen like it should've, and they even had the curtains open for a scope ratio flick, the movie is crammed into this little weird window with big black openness on all four sides—except the black levels were really poor and you could see grays on top and bottom of the image, filling the rest of this 1.66/1.85 frame. Totally unprofessional. On top of that, the image wasn't even rectangular, it made like a smile shape, making the already warped anamorphic photography even more warped. Damn bizarre. On top of technical problems, there were assholes in the room chatting the whole time. ALL THIS SAID, however, I had a good time seeing the movie on a big screen, even if it could've been 10,000 times better had competence been involved. Throw the Blu-ray on a projector at home and you'll get results that are far more satisfactory; I didn't notice anything in the supposedly new HD transfer that I didn't see on the Blu-ray from several years ago, leading me to believe it's not from a new HD master at all. And come on, this should have been on friggin' 35mm!

Magic - 4.5/5 (RW) – Holy crap what an intense film. Anthony Hopkins gives such a convincing performance, and that dummy is just creepy. Super classy flick. Makes me realize I need more horror films in my collection that deal more with actual suspense over blood and boobs.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:30:54 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 02:48:23 AM »
Also, this was released a few days ago:

Evil Dead (remake) trailer

Initial reaction was, "Not sure what to think." More I thought about it and the more times I watched it, however, the more optimistic I became. It actually looks super cool and grisly, and that part where the long-haired dude wimpers, "Oh my God, why the fuck did you do that?" is actually kinda chilling.

Only negative feedback I can give at the moment is the first-person "evil" perspective, which has maybe an eighth of the coolness and intensity of the original two films. It just doesn't feel like you're "seeing" through the "eyes" of an evil presence anymore, based on what's shown in this trailer. Just a cheap imitation.

Hell, this good but not great homage music video does it better.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:52:01 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 11:26:48 AM »
Farscape is one of my absolute favorite shows. Shame it got canned when it was still going super strong. You could've made a whole fifth season with all the stuff that was going on. I enjoyed The Peacekeeper Wars, but damn did that have a lot of loose ends to tie in three hours. Better than no closure at all, however.

Another 'Scaper, Frell yeah! High five! We're too rare these days.

Also, this was released a few days ago:

Evil Dead (remake) trailer

Initial reaction was, "Not sure what to think." More I thought about it and the more times I watched it, however, the more optimistic I became. It actually looks super cool and grisly, and that part where the long-haired dude wimpers, "Oh my God, why the fuck did you do that?" is actually kinda chilling.

Only negative feedback I can give at the moment is the first-person "evil" perspective, which has maybe an eighth of the coolness and intensity of the original two films. It just doesn't feel like you're "seeing" through the "eyes" of an evil presence anymore, based on what's shown in this trailer. Just a cheap imitation.

Hell, this good but not great homage music video does it better.

Unnecessary remake looks very unnecessary, my only advice to these guys would be to switch it around so that the blonde is the one who lives instead of Ash. Because there can truly be only one chainsaw weilding Ashley Williams, and that's Bruce Campbell.
Never was a big fan of the first one so not that bothered by this, as long as they leave 2 and Army of Darkness alone.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:32:28 AM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »
A smart move on the part of the producers (the Renaissance boys are all closely involved) is that there is no Ash in this movie, or Linda, etc. I'm sure the characters will still kinda represent previous characters in ways, but hopefully they won't do that too much and just make it a whole new set of losers.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »
As for Farscape, my brother introduced me to that show a long time ago. He started watching it on TV and started getting all the DVDs and got each new one right when it came out. It was super cool experiencing that entire show with him. Really excellent mixture of drama and comedy.

Last year I went through the whole show with a friend of mine. Dunno how it was possible, but I grew even more fond of it the second time through. He loved it as well.

Then I showed him Twin Peaks. ;D I swear if it weren't for that show's existence, Farscape would be the greatest show ever.

I kinda lament that so many people talk about Firefly as the greatest "alternative sci-fi" show, but when I ask 'em if they've seen Farscape, they don't even know what I'm talking about. ;_;
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:22:30 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
I kinda lament that so many people talk about Firefly as the greatest "alternative sci-fi" show, but when I ask 'em if they've seen Farscape, they don't even know what I'm talking about. ;_;
I'm still kinda mad about how obscure the show is when the Battlestar Galactica remake, which was literally Farscape's "replacement" on the syfy channel, gets all the credit for innovations which belong to Farscape. The first weekly Science Fiction show that proved you could break the old Star Trek mold of having a rigid status quo with largely static characters and have feature film quality writing, acting and special effects.

And ahh yes the legendary Starbust DVDs, those things were expensive when they came out and only got more expensive as time went on! I wasn't able to get the show on DVD until a few years ago. When the complete series boxset was released for the price of what the old ADV season 1 set had cost. I was very close to buying a region free DVD player and getting the old Australian season sets when the re-release was announced lol. What's really sad though is that one Australian guy I talked to years ago said hardly anyone there had ever heard of the show. He hadn't until he picked up the DVDs at the market for a few bucks on a lark, and this same guy spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a replica of the Firefly ship.
Too bad most Australians aren't aware of one of the most impressive and innovative pieces of television to come out of their own country.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:09:52 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
That's depressing. I thought it would at least have a pretty strong following over there.

Thankfully I picked up the Blu-ray complete set (well, sans Peacekeeper Wars) for around $65. Definitely the best this show will ever look, and it barely takes up any shelf space. It's a shame that the masters are in standard def, but they're PAL at least and upscaling from that definitely yields better results than NTSC conversions.

It's too bad Hallmark, Henson Co., etc. didn't have the foresight to master the show in HD. All that money spent on filming it on 35mm and they only do PAL mastering. Criminal. :(
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: