Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Has anyone modded CV3 to bypass the map screen yet?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Has anyone modded CV3 to bypass the map screen yet?
« on: October 17, 2022, 11:23:12 AM »
I looked at the code where CV3 transitions from tallying up the score after killing a boss to the map screen. I was like, "I'll just tell it not to go to the map screen and see what happens." Poor Trevor was stuck in Purgatory, unable to do anything except fight the same boss over and over indefinitely. That's when I realized just how important the map screen is for CV3.

Some people have wanted to mod CV3 without the map screen. I'm just curious if anyone has done that yet. Looking at how ingrained some of the core mechanics are to the map screen, I theorize it would be simpler just to keep the map screen intact, but bypass all the substates that pertain to drawing the map screen and letting the player move. In other words, keep the game generally intact and change just one, two, or three bytes of data  in order to force the program to auto-select the next stage with no visual cues whatsoever.

Has anyone attempted this, or gone about this an entirely different way yet? I'm interested in what others have tried. I haven't attempted to validate my theory yet, since I lack faith in my modding abilities.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Has anyone modded CV3 to bypass the map screen yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 05:45:30 PM »
I've played several CV3 hacks in the past, but not once have I seen the map screen disabled. Maybe they encountered the same things you did and thought it wasn't worth the headache.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 11:31:09 AM »
Why would anyone want to skip the map sections?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 06:27:55 PM »
Too slow-paced maybe..? Personally I liked the mapscreen  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 06:45:22 PM »
N'yeah, figuring out where to go next was part of the flow & fun. 

Now, if they're just trying to hax0r CVIII into a stage-by-stage-by-stage situation, alright, I'll settle with that reason. 

...but why not retain those forks in the road to keep the hax just as interesting?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 06:49:11 PM by Eric Roman »

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 04:11:27 PM »
The closest I've seen (it still uses the map) is the linear hack. It turns the playthrough one where you have to play every level in the game. In a way, this bypasses the "map screen" by letting you play every level, but I don't think that's what was being asked specifically here. The map screen is still there, but your choices are removed: both options for the next stage are the same one.

Tags: