Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you prefer Classic style or Metroidvania style?  (Read 11747 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Do you prefer Classic style or Metroidvania style?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »
I played all "RPG" Castlevania games on emulators (I am sorry about that) but 2 years ago I bought Nintendo DS lite and now I have CotM,HoD,AoS,DoS,PoR,OoE and I am happy to say that it is awesome to play them everywhere I want :)

Nothing wrong with emulating. If you don't have access to the game, handheld device or both, then emulation is the way to go.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline adelcs

• Turn 360 degrees and backdash away
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 12:34:59 AM »
Nothing wrong with emulating. If you don't have access to the game, handheld device or both, then emulation is the way to go.
Hell, I actually own most of the handheld games but still prefer playing them on an emulator. Being able to play them on a monitor or a TV and being able to use any controller I please are two great things.

I just hate how DS emulation is still a bit finnicky, so it can be weird emulating the later CV games.
Currently playing:
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
CV:HoD Hard mode, naked run

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 04:13:50 AM »
Hell, I actually own most of the handheld games but still prefer playing them on an emulator. Being able to play them on a monitor or a TV and being able to use any controller I please are two great things.

I just hate how DS emulation is still a bit finnicky, so it can be weird emulating the later CV games.

Emulation is good IF you do not own the console but I wanted to see what it is to own a DS and now I have emulators on that too :) I play SNES games and NEO-GEO games on it as well.

On my laptop I play PS1 games and PS2 games. For the first time I played Castlevania Curse of Darkness and Lament of Innocence and I must say that they are really good.

I am also glad to play Lords of Shadow for the PC as well. I do not know why people do not like it that much but I bought a controller for 13$ and I think the game is amazing - all that LORE and reading of the journals,bestiary and chapter openings is what I was looking for.

Well I actually do not think that there is a bad Castlevania. I guess I am just a big fanboy :D
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Simonbelmondo12

• MEDUSA HEADS!!!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »
Hmm tough question. I guess I like both of them for different reasons. By the way you forgot the Godofwania style.
Simon Belmont true enemy:Edward Cullens

Offline RegalSin

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
I like both but I prefer the classic style. I mean if you could unlock secret endings, weapons, characters, and all of that stuff, it would be nice but every time you step into METROID, the first thing your thinking, I am going go after the most power-fullest weapon, and unlock that secret thingy, to get a 400%.

Offline Morning star

• Vanquishing Evil Since 1987
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Vintage video game collector.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 01:16:46 AM »
I like both but I prefer the classic style. I mean if you could unlock secret endings, weapons, characters, and all of that stuff, it would be nice but every time you step into METROID, the first thing your thinking, I am going go after the most power-fullest weapon, and unlock that secret thingy, to get a 400%.

I love the point you make here. This is almost exactly the way i feel about it.

They replaced much of the difficulty (the actual game and what made it a challenge) with random 'find me' garbage that nobody should care about. If i can beat a game with 85% of a game completed, they didn't design the game very well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 01:21:52 AM by Morning star »

This magic whip could be an example of advanced alien technology.

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 05:27:20 PM »
Metroidvania's are fun at first, but then it becomes tedious to explore around the castle to get a key to open a door or some special ability. Plus, I hate all the inventory that you can get but then has absolutely no use, like the weapons. There could be a ton, but only a few are really useful. I just prefer it when the game play is straightforward and simple.
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline K.K. Drunkinski

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 08:49:32 AM »
MetroidVanias are great, but I grew up with the original series on the NES, so it's definitely the classics for me. For an old school gamer like me, the classic series has much more replay value than the MetroidVanias, simply because of the scoreboard. Once you've found and done everything in the MetroidVania games (and Simon's Quest), the replay value really takes a beating. But with the classic games, there's always the thrill of trying to beat your own high score.

Offline ROCKMAN X

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 05:24:58 AM »
Original castlevania,its just simply more challenging and feels like a full blooded sidescroller... metroidvania just feels like an exploration RPG game with its insane amounts of weapons,spells and trivial stats rather than a sidescrolling action game.

Egoraptor puts it best "its like comparing a snack food to high class desert you can mindlessly chomp away at the snacks because of its addictive nature but high class desert requires slowing down to enjoy the game and in the end you're going to think more highly of the desert because it gave you a feeling of TRUE satisfaction"

Symphony of the night looks&sounds AMAZING! its one of the best looking 2d games ever made but it doesn't go beyond that... its gameplay is simply just underwhelming.

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 09:24:45 AM »
Classic all the way. A lot of the challenge is lost when the game is non-linear.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Tags:

anything