Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Circle of the Moon: Chronicles?  (Read 16777 times)

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 06:17:58 AM »
Technically, they didn't even really need to remake Rondo if it weren't for the unfortunate fact that the game never made it outside Japan, and Castlevania's bread and butter market is here in the US.

- John

Yeah I for one never understood why sony didn't bring the game over for PS1, image how cool that would have been in 95 to have that title as a launch title and how many more PS's they would have sold with it. PC engine was pretty much dead here in 95 and once nintendo decided against the CD drive addon sony was looking for good games to bring over. Any game that still sells for 100$ + on ebay is a damn good game in my book. It would have given us an alternative or saved us the XX butchery.

Castlevania 2
Castlevania 3
And ESPECIALLY both Game Boy games (Adventure and Revenge). I want remixed music god dammit, and they better not fuck it up with industrial 300bpm techno shit or something. Give it to Yamane or Yuzo Koshiro.

- John

Y'know now that Koji is tyin' all the games together if he were to remake those it would be cool if he added elements to their stories to help better tie them in with the later games.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 06:26:01 AM by The Last Belmont »
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Circle of the Moon: Chronicles?
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 11:40:18 PM »
Yeah I for one never understood why sony didn't bring the game over for PS1, image how cool that would have been in 95 to have that title as a launch title and how many more PS's they would have sold with it.

It was dated. SCEA took a dim view of 2D around this time frame. They wanted titles that would show off in front of Sega and Nintendo.

A Sega/Mega CD port wouldn't have been unreasonable (like Konami did with Snatcher), but it probably would have taken hit in color depth.

I'm still surprised SotN became as popular as it did.

Y'know now that Koji is tyin' all the games together if he were to remake those it would be cool if he added elements to their stories to help better tie them in with the later games.

If he can pull it off, that would be great.

- John

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 12:39:35 AM »
It was dated. SCEA took a dim view of 2D around this time frame. They wanted titles that would show off in front of Sega and Nintendo.

See this mentality I just don't get a good game is a good game regardless of what dimensions it's viewed in, and we're talkin' about 95 when most of the games out there were still 2d, I don't get why sony and nintendo were trying to push 3d so much in the mid 90's? Personally  I've always thought the n64/ps1 generation of 3d games look like crap. The tech really wasn't there yet to go 3d and make the graphics look really good, they should have waited till last gen to go that route and really worked on mastering the 2d realm in the ps1/n64 generation. I mean most of the n64 games weren't even fun (I hate games where your constantly looking for crap just to progress through the game and that seemed to be just about the only kind of games nintendo wanted to make for the n64), and sony was flooded with games and the ps1 had about as many good games as bad. Granted they had scores of good games way more then nintendo had I can count all the good n64 games that I really enjoyed and had fun with on one hand. And what's funny alot of the really good ps1 games that people remember are 2d or like 2.5d. I mean nintendo even ruined mario for me by taking away all his classic powers, making you find all those damn stars and making the King Koopa fights take zero skill. All the GB mario games after it got mario right, and galaxy looks like fun but nintendo I think got a little to overconfident in the n64 gen and should have stuck with what was workin'.

A Sega/Mega CD port wouldn't have been unreasonable (like Konami did with Snatcher), but it probably would have taken hit in color depth.

Yeah that would have been cool too if it came out for sega CD, it's a shame 99% of the games for the addon sucked, they had some good tech. there but no idea how to use it.

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Wolfman
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2007, 01:36:29 AM »
I'm still surprised SotN became as popular as it did.

- John

It's really not THAT surprising when you think about it.  The game reviewed reasonably well in the U.S., and word of mouth spread quickly among gamers.  A game as excellent as SotN rarely goes completely unnoticed.

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2007, 02:04:26 AM »
You have to understand the politics of the time. The prevailing opinion was that people wanted arcade style hardware in a home console. Many of the hottest arcade games at the time were 3D, and it was considered novel and exciting. Many 2D titles didn't even make it past the software approval process with SCEA and SOA because of this. I was neck-deep in the 32-bit wars, and was still content with 2D. The Sega Saturn is still my favorite console of all time. But ultimately I was in the minority (albeit a very vocal and passionate minority).

SotN supposedly bombed in Europe where it was savaged by the press for looking "dated". The US press was a lot kinder, but then you had publications like Next Generation that were blatantly bias against anything that didn't have the best looking polygons ever (Next Gen's reviews were always shit, but their interviews and other articles were pretty good...and they gave a shockingly good review for SotN). It's very fortunate that enough people saw SotN for its true beauty and word got around. That's probably one of the major reasons why Konami can still count on a big US market for Castlevania. 

- John

Quasar

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2007, 01:01:29 PM »
I would have punched those European reviewers square in the mouth, and kneed them in the nuts. "Dated." What was dated at that point was game mag reviewers.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2007, 01:31:28 PM »

Well, didn't he say in a recent interview that he was planning to remake some older games soon?

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2007, 06:20:36 PM »
I would have punched those European reviewers square in the mouth, and kneed them in the nuts. "Dated." What was dated at that point was game mag reviewers.

Yeah I agree. Dated, yeah so I guess all the DS games out right now are "dated" looking because they're 2d, gimme a break. :)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2007, 10:16:27 PM »
In Reply To #38
I think he said something like if DXC does well then he'll consider more remakes like it.

Remakes are cool, but I wanna play some new stuff.

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 12:04:18 AM »
In Reply To #40

A DS castlevania game is supposedly next.  I have a feeling, though, that IGA will produce at least one more Chronicles title in the next few years, namely a remake of Dracula's Curse.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 04:23:58 PM »
In Reply To #38
I think he said something like if DXC does well then he'll consider more remakes like it.

Remakes are cool, but I wanna play some new stuff.

Seems like DXC is going pretty well to me, at least with everyone on the forum besides me because I am still yet to play it. I have to wait until Christmas!  :(

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 09:13:25 PM »
In Reply To #42

It'll be well worth the wait, CVfan13.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 11:35:47 AM »
In Reply To #43

I know, I'm more excited than I've ever been!

Tags: