Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Annette Renard? Slash or Op13?  (Read 12987 times)

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 01:53:43 PM »
From USA DXC Manual 4Page

Maria Renard
A girl with distant blood ties to the Belmont clan.

This is the latest.
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
In Reply To #14

Why would you have to, I'm guess you're talkin about a fanfic, and those are neer canon anyway. I wouldn't change mine to it if I already had something else.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 09:39:11 PM »
Wasn't the SotN english manual mistranslated? I recall hearing that, and mistranslation does not equal canon.

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Wolfman
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Annette Renard? Slash or Op13?
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »
In Reply To #18

"Mistranslated" is thrown about way too often.  We're not talking about the difference of one word between the Japanese and U.S. manuals.  By the way, not even the Japanese games themselves are necessarily infallible.  The opening for the Japanese version of Dracula's Curse gets the date of Ralph's/Trevor's fight against Dracula completely wrong.  It's off by over 100 years.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 11:34:01 PM »
In Reply To #14

Woah, I should have referenced the SotN manual far earlier.  It clearly states that Maria is Richter's sister-in-law and is "not a Belmont by blood."  Oops.  Of course, this will just be more fodder for those who believe only Japanese manuals and games are ever correct.

Well back in the old days nintendo used bs us alot when it came to instruction manuals and even in game text in some places. They'd totally change certain elements and add things that were never supposed to be there in the first place and do all kinds of crazy stuff. Just look at the american and european versions of Legend of Demon Castle, those versions are drastically diff. and harder in some aspects. Especially since they used the castlevania one method of making all enemies in a level do X amount of damage and increasing that damage as you progress through the game. In the original version it all comes down to what hits you as to how much damage your recieve and I believe on some of the bosses in the Jp version you can take a hit or two more than the European and American versions. Up until DXC the XX game was all their was and when the translators brought over symphony they probably added certain things to the manual as was common place back then so gamers who would have only played XX could tie it in with Symphony. XX has now been turned into a gaiden game though and is not the definitive version of the events and since in the original Rondo Maria is not Annetes sister then she wouldn't be in symphony either. :)
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 11:59:53 PM »
In Reply To #20

Changes to gameplay are likely due to Konami themselves, not Nintendo.  Nintendo usually just asked (*cough* mandated) that certain graphics or texts be censored to avoid offending anyone.  Any alterations to the U.S. SotN manual, gameplay, or in-game text were similarly Konami's own doing, not SCEA's.  As for DXX, it's not a gaiden or sidestory.  It's the same exact event as depicted in Rondo, but it changed some details that are ultimately of little import to the continuity of the series.  DXX is a game that's an "imperfect" interpretation of a canon event.

Steve

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 10:21:27 AM »
By the way, not even the Japanese games themselves are necessarily infallible.

Offline olroxshade

• Hunter in Training
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 10:45:55 AM »
AHHH..Time Paradox...so, what's up with Anette? it's...weird..IGA..

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 12:06:31 PM »
What are you talking about?

The opening to Legend of Demon castle says the events in the game take place 100 years before simon kills drac.  :)

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 03:21:40 PM »
What are you talking about?

As The Last Belmont said, the opening to the Japanese version of Dracula's Curse states that Ralph/Trevor fought Dracula 100 years before Simon did, which is simply wrong.  Dracula's Curse takes place about 215 years before the events described in the original Castlevania.  Uh oh!  Is the Japanese version of Dracula's Curse "non-canon!?"

Quasar

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2007, 04:10:24 PM »
My guess is that the guys who made the Densetsu series didn't have the "respect" for the series. You know, that same thing people are usually accusing KCEK of not having. And KCEN. And some people accuse IGA of not having it either. Hell, does anybody have it? ::)

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 07:36:39 PM »
"Mistranslated" is thrown about way too often.  We're not talking about the difference of one word between the Japanese and U.S. manuals.  By the way, not even the Japanese games themselves are necessarily infallible.  The opening for the Japanese version of Dracula's Curse gets the date of Ralph's/Trevor's fight against Dracula completely wrong.  It's off by over 100 years.

To be fair, let the record reflect I originally pointed this out.  ;D

But I also pointed out that DXX got it wrong too by saying that Simon defeated Dracula (and I quote) "several hundred years prior". That too is off by an indeterminate amount of time (it should read "100 years prior"...full stop). So along with the Maria and Shaft thing, there are three things in the DXX opening crawl that are at odds with the current official canon (a new record?).

http://castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/Games/dxxintro.html

So yes, the game texts aren't always right, but they ARE trying to retroactively fix things in the games they do want to keep. The CV3 date reference was fixed in the timeline, and if they do a remake, I'm quite sure it'll be fixed there too. DXX hasn't been fixed in the timeline because it's not the true version of the events that happened in Rondo, so it ain't worth fixing.

As for IGA.....meh. I sure as hell don't agree with everything the man has done, but he *is* at least trying to make sense out of all this crap. Which is more than can be said pre-IGA, as proven by DXX and the aforementioned error in CV3.

- John

P.S. The topic is starting to wear kinda thin. Mainly because DXX wasn't all that popular outside of die-hard Castlevania fandom where people have to play every single game. I could understand having a big debate over this if there were two highly popular and contradictory games, but this is really just nitpicking a obscure area. DXC should have settled the issue once and for all. Rondo FTW. :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:09:13 PM by Kensuke »

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 08:42:07 PM »
In Reply To #27

Why do you state that DXX hasn't been "fixed" by the timeline?  How could you know?  It's not mentioned in the timeline...but neither is Rondo per se.  Richter's event is refered to simply as "Dracula X," which fits either game, similar to how "Castlevania" references all versions of Simon's first battle with Dracula on the timeline without picking a particular one as the "true events" that transpired.  If the Japanese Dracula's Curse gets a by for content in the game being contradicted later by IGA, DXX gets the same by.

Steve

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 05:15:31 AM »
The Japanese intro for Castlevania III does not say it takes place a hundred years before Simon; it says more than a hundred years.

Furthermore, the Japanese manual for the original Castlevania made it clear that Dracula rises once a century and that the last Belmondo to kill him was Christopher.  So when the intro for Demon Castle Legend says more than a hundred years, it's obviously implying that it takes place even before Christopher.  And if it involves Dracula, it must be roughly two hundred years before Simon.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 05:43:17 AM »
My guess is that the guys who made the Densetsu series didn't have the "respect" for the series.

Well you have to remember there were only 3 castlevania games out at the time and I don't know if they even considered the gb game canon at that point in time, cuz it's really just a stripped version of the first with certain new elements added. If anything putting the "more than" 100 years in the intro as serio pointed out shows they had some respect as that allows the exact date it takes place to be somewhat fluid though I think 215 years is pushing it a bit. Though at the time they could have picked any date they feasibly could have picked any date they wanted, and I'm not even sure if their were set dates for the first 2 in 89. If anything if one goes by just what's said in the early games/manuals the new timeline is incorrect.

The Japanese intro for Castlevania III does not say it takes place a hundred years before Simon; it says more than a hundred years.

Furthermore, the Japanese manual for the original Castlevania made it clear that Dracula rises once a century and that the last Belmondo to kill him was Christopher.

It does? That's interesting I didn't know that. I need to find a translated version of the manual. Hmm then I guess it was just a typo and it was supposed to be a 2 not a 1 in the intro to legend of demon castle. (understandable since Japanese normally use Kanji for numbers)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:47:30 AM by The Last Belmont »

Tags:

anything