Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Confusion  (Read 11233 times)

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« on: January 05, 2008, 03:08:32 PM »
Ok, so my B-day is next weekend and I'm not getting any presents this year, just money to buy my own presents basically. So, I'm wondering what I should buy. I'm definetely getting the DMC trilogy thing at Gamestop, but what should I get that's Castlevania-related? Here are the games I still don't own:

CV: A
CV: AII
SCV4 (I own a Wii so I could just go VC)
CV: Dracula X (Don't own a snes)
CV: Bloodlines (don't own a sega genesis either)
CV: Legends
CV: 64
CV: LoD (Definetely considering this one)

So what should I do? I need opinions.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 04:01:51 PM »
Castlevania 4, without a doubt.  Belmont's Revenge (CV Adventure II) is fantastic too, and the two N64 CVs are also worth looking into.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »
I would go with LoD, but that's because it's one of my favorite games of all time. Lots of great stuff in there.

CV4 and Belmont's Revenge are definately worth looking into as well.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
CV4 is one of the best to play and it's easy to find same goes for Adventure, so you could get both instead of one more expensive game. 64 is also really good.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 04:41:07 PM »
Castlevania 4, without a doubt.  Belmont's Revenge (CV Adventure II) is fantastic too, and the two N64 CVs are also worth looking into.

Offline Mr Sven

• Did Blow up Megaton City - Dirty Ghouls!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Confusion
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
CV4 is the CV that got me into the series.

I'd go for that first it's got some very good remixes done in a gothic style and it has a very moody atmosphere.

Drac X I would only go for after finishing 4. It's harder ( not that it's a bad thing )and I personally don't like the art style, Richter can only whip forward and who needs item crashes anyway? Simon will always kick his arse.

Bloodlines is shorter, but imo more entertaining than drac X. its a little bit between the two  regarding difficulty btu worth the buy.

Cant give any info on the GB ones. and i've only played through CV64 not LoD but I assume they are similar. only ruined by shitty camera angles as the gameplay itsself is actually decent.
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »
Ok, so my B-day is next weekend and I'm not getting any presents this year, just money to buy my own presents basically. So, I'm wondering what I should buy. I'm definetely getting the DMC trilogy thing at Gamestop, but what should I get that's Castlevania-related? Here are the games I still don't own:

CV: A
CV: AII
SCV4 (I own a Wii so I could just go VC)
CV: Dracula X (Don't own a snes)
CV: Bloodlines (don't own a sega genesis either)
CV: Legends
CV: 64
CV: LoD (Definetely considering this one)

So what should I do? I need opinions.

If you have Rondo don't bother with the snes X, it's very inferior to the PCE-engine PSP port. Unless you see it reasonably priced on the VC or want to go the emulator route I wouldn't bother with it as to just get a used cart usually costs 50 bones or more and the game isn't even that good just rare cuz they didn't make that many. You should def. get CV adventure 2 and legends those are very fun and have the nes style gameplay albeit they are quite a bit easier than the nes ones. Bloodlines is awesome too and one my personal favs. If you need a genesis you should be able to get one cheap off of ebay. SCIV is a must too, though why they call it "super" instead of just castlevania IV or "super castlevania" cuz that's really what it is is beyond me.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 07:13:16 PM »
In Reply To #7

It's probably called Super Castlevania IV because a whole lot of things were "Super" on the "Super Nintendo Entertainment System".....that and it's a super awesome remake of Castlevania
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 07:46:34 PM »
If they were to name it like the japanese did, it'd be cv1 too. They wanted to make it different to sell it better, and they also came up with the idea of changing it into simon's 3rd adventure by changing the prologue into something completely different.

People were more likely going to buy it if it's the continuation of Simon's saga rather than the same game with prettier graphics. :P

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 07:48:45 PM »
In Reply To #7

It's probably called Super Castlevania IV because a whole lot of things were "Super" on the "Super Nintendo Entertainment System".....that and it's a super awesome remake of Castlevania

I know but there's just too many words there, they could've called super metroid "super metroid 3" but using the "super" title insinuates it's a remake of the first one which is essentially what it and SCIV are. "Super Castlevania" I think sounds cooler and it lets the buyer know right away that they're buying the first castlevania redone for the SNES. :) 

Offline Mr Sven

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »
If you have Rondo don't bother with the snes X, it's very inferior to the PCE-engine PSP port

It is also not the same game. most levels are completely different including the final boss battle.

the only reason this game gets panned as badly as it does is because it was marketed as a port of rondo, when infact if you take the time to look at it it's actually a fairly competent action side scroller.

admittedly rondo is a better game but because of its own merits not because the snes version is a poor watered down version

it's like saying play x68000 CV over the NES original because everything looks bigger and better
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 07:57:26 PM »
They wanted to make it different to sell it better, and they also came up with the idea of changing it into simon's 3rd adventure by changing the prologue into something completely different.

I don't remember the English prologue setting it after Simon's Quest, I thought it still set it at the same time as the nes one. Granted I haven't played the English one in awhile cuz I like the unaltered original better, the green blood looks horrible.

People were more likely going to buy it if it's the continuation of Simon's saga rather than the same game with prettier graphics. :P

I see what you're saying but a lot of super nes games did that, they'd just remake/update the graphics to a game and call it super "X". I think the raw power of the super nes sold games just like new elements, innovative ideas and sequels to classic nes games did. People wanted to play updated versions of their classic nes games and were willing to pay big bucks to do so, like with Mario Collection/All-Stars on the SNES.

It is also not the same game. most levels are completely different including the final boss battle.

I know bro, I was telling him to skip over it primarily because of the price, but there is fun there, just not nearly as much as with Rondo and the frustration level on the last fight ranks up there. :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:59:56 PM by The Last Belmont »

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 08:01:42 PM »
Thanks guys. I've got a good idea about what to do now. Guess I'll immediatley go for SCV4 on the VC then hit eBay for LoD and maybe even a Genesis if I still have enough money left after everything else I have planned. I'll get the GB games eventually... maybe. Still, I hope Drac X is eventually released on VC, cause without it, my collection will feel incomplete, which will make me sad.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Mr Sven

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 08:17:08 PM »
Alas, all our collections will seem incomplete until we each get that haunted castle arcade cabinet....
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 09:54:19 PM »
I don't remember the English prologue setting it after Simon's Quest, I thought it still set it at the same time as the nes one.

I was speaking of the part that says "Once again Simon Belmont is called upon to destroy Dracula"

Once again means he already did it at least once. :P

Tags:

anything