Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Symphony of the Night Logical Fallacies  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: March 07, 2018, 08:40:15 PM »
+3
I bet you all remember the cheesy Symphony of the Night intro "argument" between Dracula and Richter. I got bored and as a fan of philosophy, decided to analyze the logical fallacies in their arguments. Hope you will enjoy this as I had.

Richter: Die monster. You don't belong in this world!
Ad Hominem: Attacking your opponent's character or personal traits (monster) in an attempt to undermine their argument (or in this case, existence).

Essentialism / Appeal to Nature: Saying that something "belongs" somewhere is a fallacy unless you are able to make a convincing argument about why is belongs (or doesn't belong) there.

Dracula: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans, who wish to pay me tribute.
Burden of Proof: Saying that the burden of proof lies not with the person making the claim, but with someone else to disprove (The humans who wish to pay tribute).
Richter: Tribute? You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves.
Irrelevant: While Richter's statement might be true, it's irrelevant to Dracula's prior statement.
Dracula: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

Tu Quoque / Whataboutism: Avoiding having to engage with criticism by turning it back on the accuser - answering criticism with criticism.

False equivalence: While the same could be metaphorically said of all religions, Dracula is doing it quite literally.

Richter: Your words are as empty as your soul. Mankind ill needs a savior such as you.
Ad Hominem: (again…)

Begging the Question: A circular argument in which the conclusion (Mankind doesn't need Dracula) is included in the premise (Dracula is bad). 

Dracula: What is a man?! A miserable little pile of secrets!
Ambiguity: Using double meanings or ambiguities of language to mislead or misrepresent the truth.

Bullshit: Dracula is just bullshitting now. He doesn't even make any sense.

Dracula: But enough talk; have at you!

Appeal to violence: … And resorting to violence because he doesn't have any arguments anymore.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Symphony of the Night Logical Fallacies
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 04:04:14 AM »
While I had my laugh with this, I think what you pointed out is pretty spot-on. It LOOKS like a debate, but really is just they calling the other names in fancy wording :P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:05:03 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Briraka

• Hunter in Training
  • \m/
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 01:09:32 PM »
+1
so basically, an internet argument before the existence of the internet.

Offline Darth Cariss

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:35:44 AM »
I wasn't too sure about this when I started reading but by the end I was thoroughly amused. Well done.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 08:27:30 AM »
This is amazing!

Tags: