Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Giving Harmony of Dissonance another shot  (Read 3150 times)

Offline HeartOfFire

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Giving Harmony of Dissonance another shot
« on: April 17, 2018, 02:45:32 AM »
I couldn't get through this game. I felt like the map design was too confusing, even for a Metroidvania. The mirror world dynamic really didn't help things for me. Also, when I looked stuff up in walkthroughs, it mentioned using magic. I don't remember the game showing me anything about magic or how to use it or how to equip it. Did I miss something?

I'm going to give it another shot, but does anyone have any tips for making it through relatively painlessly? Is there anything crucial I need to do early game?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Giving Harmony of Dissonance another shot
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:31:31 AM »
use the door glitch to get the serpent tail early, will make things a lot smoother

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:09:08 AM »
The biggest problem I had was that the teleport mechanics were never really explained well which often led to me getting lost and unable to finish the game.  Just skim an online guide on them and the magic system and the game is actually really fun.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:09:13 AM »
HoD requires a bit of backtracking compare to other Metroidvanias. The way the map is structured is not typical and may not just click instantly. I personally didn't find it confusing but I remember a friend of mine saying he got stuck and didn't know where to go, back in the day.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
I did get super stuck once near the end of the game. But that was because the breakable blocks to Dracula's heart I almost couldn't see due to how well they blended in with the rest of the graphics. Not only that but the foreground textures were also obscuring them. A little too well mind you  :P
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 10:16:09 PM »
+1
My real favourite is Castlevania 64, but my secret favourite is Harmony of Dissonance. While it sort of copies SotN a lot, willingly or unwillingly it ended up being a very unique entry in the series for its eerie atmosphere, crazy colour palette and strange soundtrack. It feels like a scary nightmare stuck in time in the normal castle, then shifts to a drug-trip nightmare once you enter the mirror castle.

If you are stuck and pissed off just look up a guide online, I think it's worth playing to the end, there a few hidden things and a fun boss rush mode, not to mention other replay modes.

Also, I keep on losing the link to a forum post (on a different forum) of a guy who made a room-by-room analysis of the game. It's the best Castlevania article I've ever read, but you must like the game. Someone has the link?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:18:56 PM by LuxKiller65 »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 08:18:39 PM »
The Dracula piece in a save room, just because...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 09:17:37 AM »
Also, I keep on losing the link to a forum post (on a different forum) of a guy who made a room-by-room analysis of the game. It's the best Castlevania article I've ever read, but you must like the game. Someone has the link?

I'm interested in this...

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 07:54:07 AM »
I really like Dissonance.  It does have some serious problems, but it's different and fun.  The first time I played it, I hated the entwined castles.  The second time around, I thought it was one of the coolest takes on the castle in the series.

I do wish someone would make an audio replacement patch or something because I like most of the compositions but that sound quality makes me cringe... I know there's a color replacement patch which changes the backgrounds to be less... goofy.

Tags: