Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: D&D  (Read 18955 times)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »
+3
So...I finally got to play D&D yesterday -- for the first time ever.

I'm trying not to act like a giddy little kid about it, but that was a ton of fun! :-D

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 07:53:51 PM »
I've been binging a lot of ProJared lately and with the millions of videos he has on D&D (from his D&December events), I've really wanted to try getting into it. I just have no one to play it with. lol
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:00:02 AM »
So...I finally got to play D&D yesterday -- for the first time ever.

I'm trying not to act like a giddy little kid about it, but that was a ton of fun! :-D

Woohooo!  Which edition did you play?  What sort of character did you go for?

Of the editions I've played, 3.5 is my favourite version.  I wasn't keen on the power cards style of 4th, so haven't played that for a while.  My favourite systems are Shadowrun (D&D meets Cyberpunk) and a modified version of Dark Heresy.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:03:08 AM »
+1
I've played all sorts of tabletop RPGs and pretty much enjoyed them all. I can remember feeling giddy as well. You make your first character and step into another role that is not of this reality. It's like a long-needed break from the everyday. I started with advanced D&D (2.0), then eventually moved up to 3.0. I've also played Pathfinder, AvP (aliens Vs Predator), Star trek, Star Wars, Rifts: Phase world, Stargate, D&D Modern, Legend of the Five Rings, and of course, Project A-ko.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 10:52:40 AM »
I find gaming very satisfying when you play long, in-depth campaigns where you get to really know your character, and find they go on an emotional development of their own that you don't always expect.  Sometimes you find yourself also actually experiencing your character's emotions.  I've ended up crying mess in a corner alongside one of the other players in the Dark Heresy game I'm in at times, such as when the GM decided to kill off the team's initial Inquisitor, who to his surprise we'd really taken a liking to.  Even at this weekend's game several years of gaming down the line a reminder of Sloan turned the two of us left from that era of the game into blubbing messes.  It's great fun, and when a real emotional reaction is evoked like that you get such a kick from it, if you're into character driven campaigns. 
I've played in various systems, from White Wolf's Vampire games and Scion, to Legend of the Five Rings, Wheel of Time (the first campaign I was ever in), Shadowrun, D&D, Eberron (a D&D spin-off), Dark Heresy, Kult (very dark, very grim horror), and a number of other systems over the years.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 11:58:48 PM »
I play with some friends. We've played for ages, but since they've moved out of state, we play through Tabletop Simulator. I recommend it for DND

We've been doing ravenloft for a while now.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 01:46:45 AM »
+1
I really wanted to try these games but I have no one to play it with.
Plus free time is always an issue with me.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 01:56:05 AM »
I really wanted to try these games but I have no one to play it with.
Plus free time is always an issue with me.

Yay, I'm not the only one! I've played a couple of the video games like the Capcom beat-em-ups and Neverwinter Nights (which was... well, whatever that was). But that's it.

Jokes aside, what would y'all think about getting a CVD group together, or something along that line? Playing it with some people I know would definitely be more fun than a bunch of randoms.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:39 AM »
I play Pathfinder with a group on Fridays.
It's a great time.  ;D
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 10:35:08 AM »
Jokes aside, what would y'all think about getting a CVD group together, or something along that line? Playing it with some people I know would definitely be more fun than a bunch of randoms.

I remember this being mentioned in two other threads in the past. But I don't think anything really came of it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 06:36:39 PM »
I think it was version 5?  There were only 3 of us, plus the DM, and the story we played was a medieval-themed something that I think my DM friend had made up on his own.  Then there was another friend in the same boat as me (video game experience but not D&D) and a coworker/friend who used to play a lot.

In nearly every game (if not actually every game) I always favor the magic user.  Obviously the specific types vary from game to game.  The DM friend suggested trying a Warlock since it was my first game and he felt they were a little easier to use.  I went with Halfling for my race since they had a charisma bonus which was good for Warlocks.  While I understood most of everything because of my gaming experience, I still felt like it took a fair amount of thought/explanation to understand how it worked for D&D.  I think we took about 2 hours making characters before actually playing for another 2, but I enjoyed it all!

The whole idea of, as X put it, stepping into another role was pretty fun.  My introverted side was very nervous about that at first, but once we began I think I slipped into it pretty well.  I feel like I still need to get the hang of it a little more and develop a little bit of a history for my character to really make it interesting though.

Seraph, you said something about a Wheel of Time campaign...is that by any chance related to the Robert Jordan novels of the same name?

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 04:29:38 AM »
Yay, I'm not the only one! I've played a couple of the video games like the Capcom beat-em-ups and Neverwinter Nights (which was... well, whatever that was). But that's it.

Neverwinter Nights used the 3rd edition ("d20 system") ruleset, I think NWN2 used 3.5 edition. With 4th edition D&D became much more board/card game like and many fans jumped ship to Paizo publishing's "Pathfinder" RPG, which was an evolution of the d20 system and is often dubbed by fans as "D&D 3.75".

The only game I've really gotten to play much at all is D&D 3.5, and while I eventually got the hang of it for the most part, I wouldn't recommend it for newbies. There's at least dozens of pages of rules for each player to keep in mind (unless you're running the game, in which case you have to keep in mind -hundreds-) all while you're still trying to learn the different shapes of the dice. Not to mention to play d20 games (and D&D 4th edition even more so) you really need a battle mat and miniatures, they're miniatures skirmish wargames first and foremost. If you want to take a look a the rules though most of them can be found for free (without the original art and flavor text) in the Pathfinder system reference document http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

I've not gotten to read it but by all accounts D&D 5e goes for a much more rules lite approach and eschews grid based miniatures combat for more "theater of the mind" style play. There's also a lot of even lighter RPGs out there, Savage Worlds Deluxe is a popular one I really want to check out, that being a generic system that you can use in any genre of game.

I remember this being mentioned in two other threads in the past. But I don't think anything really came of it.

It's possible to do, but it's still difficult to get everyone's schedules to link up. There are free programs like roll20 and others that make it easier though. One problem I have trying to game master online is that not everyone wants to voice chat, while I'm a fairly fast typist it takes a long time to try and type out all the detail you need to give to let the players interact with the world & set the mood.

I think it was version 5?  There were only 3 of us, plus the DM, and the story we played was a medieval-themed something that I think my DM friend had made up on his own.  Then there was another friend in the same boat as me (video game experience but not D&D) and a coworker/friend who used to play a lot.

In nearly every game (if not actually every game) I always favor the magic user.  Obviously the specific types vary from game to game.  The DM friend suggested trying a Warlock since it was my first game and he felt they were a little easier to use.  I went with Halfling for my race since they had a charisma bonus which was good for Warlocks.  While I understood most of everything because of my gaming experience, I still felt like it took a fair amount of thought/explanation to understand how it worked for D&D.  I think we took about 2 hours making characters before actually playing for another 2, but I enjoyed it all!

The whole idea of, as X put it, stepping into another role was pretty fun.  My introverted side was very nervous about that at first, but once we began I think I slipped into it pretty well.  I feel like I still need to get the hang of it a little more and develop a little bit of a history for my character to really make it interesting though.

Seraph, you said something about a Wheel of Time campaign...is that by any chance related to the Robert Jordan novels of the same name?

Btw here's the system reference document, which includes many but not all of the rules for 5e, might be helpful to you for reference if you don't have the books http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd you can also find wikis

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 04:35:58 AM »
Yup, indeed, it was a RPG based on the book series.  The first campaign I was in was back before I'd read any of the boks (I'm currently stuck on book 4).  It was one of the first campaigns I was ever in, so didn't really know what was going on.  I've also played in another small campaign that never finished. 

I've also realised that I've left off a homebrew version of Rolemaster from my list, that I was in for a couple of years.  It was also one of the very first campaigns I was ever in.  I did used to larp for a time, but ended up moving away from that into the SCA instead, thanks to the friends who I started gaming regularly with 11 years ago. 

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 05:08:17 AM »
Neverwinter Nights used the 3rd edition ("d20 system") ruleset, I think NWN2 used 3.5 edition. With 4th edition D&D became much more board/card game like and many fans jumped ship to Paizo publishing's "Pathfinder" RPG, which was an evolution of the d20 system and is often dubbed by fans as "D&D 3.75".

I was more just referring to the fact that Neverwinter Nights, well... it just wasn't a good game. It was a serious snoozefest for the first six or seven hours because of the slow and floaty movement, pages and pages of dialogue you have to read through, the first couple hours of the game is a tutorial, and the combat system was pretty lame and overly slow-paced.

By the time the pace started to pick up, I was just so bored with it that I didn't want to continue, so I wound up uninstalling it.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 05:34:59 AM »
I was more just referring to the fact that Neverwinter Nights, well... it just wasn't a good game. It was a serious snoozefest for the first six or seven hours because of the slow and floaty movement, pages and pages of dialogue you have to read through, the first couple hours of the game is a tutorial, and the combat system was pretty lame and overly slow-paced.

By the time the pace started to pick up, I was just so bored with it that I didn't want to continue, so I wound up uninstalling it.

I've not played past the opening tutorial of NWN yet, but that doesn't surprise me. d20 combat is exceedingly complex, therefore exceedingly slow a lot of the time. Especially if you're playing with new players who don't know the system inside out. My experience with 3.5 combat is mostly sitting around watching other players go "No wait, does my tumble skill stack with this other modifier? Does so-and-so feat apply in this situation?" and then watching them and the Dungeon Master both flip through the book for 5 to 30 minutes. I've heard Pathfinder streamlined and improved things but it's still d20 system so it's still complex. On the upside, this combat system gives you a lot more time to eat pizza, drink beer (or the beverage of your choice) and goof off with other people at the table.

Yup, indeed, it was a RPG based on the book series.  The first campaign I was in was back before I'd read any of the boks (I'm currently stuck on book 4).  It was one of the first campaigns I was ever in, so didn't really know what was going on.  I've also played in another small campaign that never finished. 

I've also realised that I've left off a homebrew version of Rolemaster from my list, that I was in for a couple of years.  It was also one of the very first campaigns I was ever in.  I did used to larp for a time, but ended up moving away from that into the SCA instead, thanks to the friends who I started gaming regularly with 11 years ago. 

Yep, it was one of the many many d20 system books released in the early oughts. There was kind of a goldrush there for a while after Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast let anyone publish material for the then-newest version of D&D under the open gaming license/OGL.
A lot of people still play with these old d20 games and supplements, just usually with Pathfinder instead of D&D 3.0 or 3.5 now. Pathfinder being an improved clone of D&D 3.5, it's actually a product of the OGL itself. So ironically Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast created their own biggest competitor. Anyways you can still find used copies of the Wheel of Time RPG on amazon and presumably ebay. If you know the series well enough you could probably run a game set in that world without it though, using D&D or another more generic system. Though you might still find the "fluff" (setting info/story/flavor) in the book useful even if you don't use any of the "crunch" (game mechanics) https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Time-Roleplaying-Game-Fantasy/dp/0786919965/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481118012&sr=8-1&keywords=wheel+of+time+roleplaying+game
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:15:48 AM by Ratty »

Tags: