Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: D&D  (Read 19209 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 11:28:54 PM »
I love D&D. I would be 100% down for a CVD game. Heck, I could even DM if no one else wants to. I won't promise it will be the best but I know 5E rules pretty well. I've made almost 200 dollars writing adventures haha. Seriously I'm down to game. It seems that Jazz Paladin knows a lot too. 

I'm also all for being a player too. I actually want to play as a paladin or cleric of Blibdoolpoolp.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:42:42 PM by GuyStarwind »

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »
I don't mind being either a player or DM. The only difficulty I see is getting schedules to align, especially if we're all in different time zones.

From a GM perspective , I'd say the starter set is an easy entry point. I also am pretty familiar with a few of the other published campaign paths.la

I'd probably prefer being a player for once, though , but I have no objective to running things.

And GuyStarwind ---Paladins are probably the best class in my eyes these days. And for once martial types aren't completely useless at high levels, so I also have a soft spot for Barbs and Fighters.

Not too sure how I feel about some changes to rogues in 5e. On the one hand, in previous editions backstab was pretty useless against undead/constructs--but it was very cool thematically. 5e, they can do normal backstab damage equally well to all enemies, so more useful in combat situations, but it does lose a bit of that thematic essence.
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2016, 09:51:28 AM »
One of the other problems I find with online roleplaying is that it isn't very intimate. Like chat forums there's only so much you can do from behind a screen. A tabletop social gathering is a lot more fun and you really get to know the DM and other players, not just themselves but also their chosen characters as well.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »
I'd be even down for Skype or Google hangouts. I have no problem showing my face and talking to people. Though I understand that it's not everyone's first choice. Also if we did do anything I don't own any starter adventures.

Yeah I agree about paladins. They've always been my go to class. In fact yesterday I was wearing a lawful good but not lawful nice shirt haha
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:11:26 PM by GuyStarwind »

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 02:27:38 PM »
I'd much rather play in person too, but I doubt that we all live in the same neck of the woods...

I think the reason doing it online is becoming so popular is that even in large cities it can be hard finding a dedicated group when everyone is still stuck on Magic:he Gathering

Here is one simple way to meet up and play online, though

https://roll20.net/

Also, one thing to mention , especially if there are a lot of new players, is that the Starter Set has some good pre-generated characters that can be used in the story. Would save time on creating characters for those who don't have the PHB or would have a hard time making characters if it's their first character.

Here are some free ones for the official starter set :

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:43:02 PM by Jazz Paladin Productions »
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »
I think the reason doing it online is becoming so popular is that even in large cities it can be hard finding a dedicated group when everyone is still stuck on Magic:he Gathering

I never got Magic. Couldn't understand it when it first came out, and still don't get it now. Though I'm assuming it's along the lines of that card game Marvel brought out several years before. Didn't quite get that one either.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 12:22:32 AM »
I was just telling my sister I couldn't get into magic. I love playing yugioh though. Actually one of my reasons of not getting magic is because I'm so used to yugioh.

Going to back to D&D. At the start of the year, I'll be on mountain time.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 10:16:37 AM »
The help is not redundant at all, so thanks! :-)

Glad to help :) though I did notice some ambiguities left in because I was tired, most notably when I said "Campaigns can last a few games or they can last decades. A game that only lasts one session is a "one-shot"." when I should've said "Campaigns can last a few sessions or they can last decades. A game that only lasts one session is a "one-shot" or "one-off"."

If you start playing or talking about other tabletop games later on, you'll find that they will occasionally use different words for the same things, but not too much and just about every gamer will understand and probably still use the D&D terms anyway. The generic (and not trademarked) term for "Dungeon Master" is "Game Master" but some companies like to get fancy and call them something like the "storyteller" or go old school back to the 70s and call them the "referee". I've got one ("Terra Primate", an unofficial Planet of the Apes RPG) that wants you to call the GM the "Ape Master". Along with calling the GM the "the storyteller" White Wolf Publishing has a slightly pretentious term for the players to, "the troupe" as in a performing troupe.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:17:09 AM by Ratty »

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 12:37:13 PM »
I was just telling my sister I couldn't get into magic. I love playing yugioh though. Actually one of my reasons of not getting magic is because I'm so used to yugioh.

Going to back to D&D. At the start of the year, I'll be on mountain time.

I had the misfortune of growing up in Renton, WA, where Magic and WoTC was born. So you might just understand if I'm a little sick of it.

It's not that it's bad--I just find it annoying to constantly have to upgrade and pay more money to get more cards as older ones becomes obsolete, or to "own" your strategy. Hence, as much fun as it might be, the cost is too inhibiting, much like Android : Netrunner

For what it's worth, I really am wanting to try the new 5e "Ravenloft" for DnD. Even though it starts out in Forgotten Realms, the party finds themself transported to the Ravenloft setting for this story.But Hickman, the original author themselves, had a part in this story--which is supposed to be very faithful to the original, but added a few more story elements.

Here's an interesting interview with Hickman. Should be of interest to those with a vampire fancy--I'd imagine there might be a few of those around here....

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/420t0f/wonderful_interview_w_tracy_hickman_chris_perkins/

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2016, 12:41:22 PM »
I had the misfortune of growing up in Renton, WA, where Magic and WoTC was born. So you might just understand if I'm a little sick of it.

It's not that it's bad--I just find it annoying to constantly have to upgrade and pay more money to get more cards as older ones becomes obsolete, or to "own" your strategy. Hence, as much fun as it might be, the cost is too inhibiting, much like Android : Netrunner

This is why collectible card games are not for me. I hate the idea of being forced to buy new cards all the time. And of never being able to have a "complete" copy of a game. Plus it's pure math. I did always wish they'd release an artbook of Merfolk art though. So much beautiful art trapped in a tiny tiny box on those cards.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:09:13 PM by Ratty »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2016, 02:23:49 AM »
+1
Hahaha... in my case, I only know 4 people who play MTG and 3 are abroad. The last one and me are too busy to play.

I agree that collectible card games will burn a hole in your pocket. And the artwork on those MTG cards are gorgeous. I am partial to the artwork of the land cards.

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2016, 08:44:30 AM »
Yeah, while I personally don't buy into the whole Living Card Game thing, it has been stated many times that Magic : The Gathering is really the only thing keeping a lot of brick-and-mortar shops open. So at least it's doing something of good for the rest of the world, as  I already hate seeing what online retailers like Amazon have done to small shops all around, they just keep disappearing...

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2016, 01:06:57 AM »
Yeah, while I personally don't buy into the whole Living Card Game thing, it has been stated many times that Magic : The Gathering is really the only thing keeping a lot of brick-and-mortar shops open. So at least it's doing something of good for the rest of the world, as  I already hate seeing what online retailers like Amazon have done to small shops all around, they just keep disappearing...

It really is sad and I own up to it and admit I'm part of the problem. In the case of yugioh I hardly buy cards from shops but buy individual cards themselves from ebay or amazon. We have two shops where I live in Oregon and they know me by name at one. I try to be supportive but at the same time I don't have the money to buy lots of booster packs. Though I have for sure spent my fair share there.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2016, 01:23:16 PM »
It really is sad and I own up to it and admit I'm part of the problem. In the case of yugioh I hardly buy cards from shops but buy individual cards themselves from ebay or amazon. We have two shops where I live in Oregon and they know me by name at one. I try to be supportive but at the same time I don't have the money to buy lots of booster packs. Though I have for sure spent my fair share there.

Eh, the main benefit of "FLGS" (or so called FLGS, I'm never going to get back that money the last one I went to owes me) is that they provide a place to hang out to game/host tournaments. It's a symbiotic relationship, if they're nice buy a booster or pack or something every now and then to support them. If not don't worry about it.

Also found this amusing and relevant song. (warning it gets a little loud at one or two points)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:47:15 PM by Ratty »

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2016, 05:44:29 PM »
So for even more nerdiness...

As mentioned before, I usually try to pre-draw maps for any adventures I run, which are usually pre-made/published. I will then usually paste the drawings onto cardstock of some kind, then laminate in case I ever need to somehow change or draw in the "environment" in a non-destructive way (adding fire to a specific area, traps, etc...).

For me the bonus perk is that if I ever want to run the adventure again, I never need to really prepare too much ever again. I just stick all my "encounter" areas into a binder with page-divider inserts, and I'm covered for years to come.

Just finished painting a few other figures today. I have an elf and a tracker with a crossbow now at the ready ;)

Tags:

anything