Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What's the passcode algorithm for Dracula's Curse?  (Read 2785 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
What's the passcode algorithm for Dracula's Curse?
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »
Google pissing me off right now by replacing "algorithm" with "method" in my searches.

I suck at reading assembly, still, and I can't find anything on Google except for Super Castlevania IV and Simon's Quest. So does anyone here know the passcode algorithm for Dracula's Curse or can someone figure it out for me?
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
Re: What's the passcode algorithm for Dracula's Curse?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:00:09 PM »
Bump.

Seriously, no hackers out there willing to help me crack it? ... Ok, "help me" is a poor term. I failed and gave up on it. >_>

On a side note, anyone want to take a crack at finding the color de-emphasis code used to do fade outs and fade ins in Dracula's Curse?

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:57:15 PM »
GMC just telling me cracking the algorithm is illegal and won't help me. So anyone else who can read assembly and/or work with the debugger in FCE Ultra (or FCEUX), if you could help me out by decrypting the password creation or password decryption algorithm,I would very much appreciate it. I don't want to create a custom algorithm just to give it away to whoever downloads my engine's source.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »
I suggest you to put the algorithm on Wolframalpha.com and check what it gives to you, perhaps giving each image a number or something I don't know. It's the best I can do for you.

Everything comes full circle

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »
Never heard of it. I'll check it out.

Here is what i snagged so far, though i'm probably missing other subroutines:
(click to show/hide)

I did find the subroutine that hashes out all the hidden names (like HELP ME and OKUDA). Don;t know how to read it, but i figured out at least that is what it is doing.

All I know so far about the algorithm from what I've seen is it checks all the letters of the name and I think adds them up and maybe modifies them. Then it adds up the values in the passcode box, each box valued 4 higher than the last (that part I figured out on my own too, but since I'm not used to hexadecimal I didn't know what i was doing). For some reason, three of the passcode boxes are checked twice: $0790, $0796 and $079D, where $079D is the top-left box. That's in the second subroutine posted.

And since I never learned to work with binary, I'm screwed on operations.

Update: Ah ha! ... I don't know anything. But those three addresses I noted as being checked twice, I just noticed something looking at the passwords for the HELP ME name. It looks like you cannot have more than one of those three at a time. So if you assign a value to $0790, you must leave $0796 and $079D blank. I still don't know what other purpose they may serve, but that's something I just noticed.

So apparently AND #$03 functions the same as the modulo of the currently checked passcode box over 4. (4 AND 3 is 0, 5 AND 3 is 1, 6 AND 3 is 2, and so on) So that line makes a little more sense to me now.

AARRRRRGH! The password generator seems to be somewhat random! I was running through the game trying to locate the password generator (before I was looking for the password decryptor) and just noticed for the same player name and dying in the same map, I got at least TWO different passwords.... FOR THE SAME STAGE!!
*curls up in a ball and whimpers*
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:43:06 PM by TheouAegis »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »
AARRRRRGH! The password generator seems to be somewhat random! I was running through the game trying to locate the password generator (before I was looking for the password decryptor) and just noticed for the same player name and dying in the same map, I got at least TWO different passwords.... FOR THE SAME STAGE!!
*curls up in a ball and whimpers*
If you succedd, I swear you become my Cv-tech-hero. Hope the best :D

Everything comes full circle

Tags:

anything