Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania music you... didn't like  (Read 13967 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 10:03:56 PM »
Almost. Thanks for taking the time. That one you mentioned is a little funny too, I didn't remember it until I heard it now; but I found the one I was talking about, it is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rklx-pskx-k&list=PL891516D5CE3DD2E4

The funniest part is the beginning, then the music improves a little.
Still, I think it doesn't fit the atmosphere of the game.

But anyway, there's 35 tracks, and 30 of them are incredibly atmospheric, it's an excellent soundtrack for a technically amazing game.

And The Palace and Chandeliers, OMG! How beautiful!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 09:43:21 AM »
+1
Oh yeah! Call me dirty b**ch!  :P

**ties herself to the bed**

Hahaha!
Well, well... Now that's significantly more interesting...

Almost. Thanks for taking the time. That one you mentioned is a little funny too, I didn't remember it until I heard it now; but I found the one I was talking about, it is this one:

Really? It didn't strike me as particularly unfitting. Although I'll admit the beginning can seem somewhat strange. It's not my favorite tune, either, but it does its job pretty well...

But anyway, there's 35 tracks, and 30 of them are incredibly atmospheric, it's an excellent soundtrack for a technically amazing game.

And The Palace and Chandeliers, OMG! How beautiful!
But... Dracula's theme, anyone? So... haunting, so entrancing, so powerful, even -- heck, I'd been expecting something like Dance of Illusions when I'd gotten there the first time. Or am I the only one to have found it so extraordinary?
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »
+1

LOL! That is actually my favourite track in the entire game. It wasn't always like that but suddenly it started to grow on me and now I think it's a masterpiece. But I don't necessarily think it sounds like "Castlevania music" to be honest, so I guess I can see what you mean. But it's quirky and eerie and strangely beautiful, IMO.

On topic: I was never a big fan of "Simon's Theme". It's very iconic and I think it's pretty catchy, but I dunno... It's not bad but it's not as AWESOME as many people says. Compared to the "stage 1" tunes that came before AND immediately after it (Vampire Killer, Bloody tears (sort of), Beginning, Reincarnated Souls and Opposing Bloodlines) it doesn't even sound very Castlevania-ish to me.

Another song I have a real hard time appreciating is "Invitation of a crazed moon" from PoR. I really love the rest of the soundtrack in that game, but the very first song is not my cup of tea. At all. It does everything right on paper, but completely misses the mark anyway, or something. Can't explain. I guess it boils down to personal taste.

Finally, I was not a fan of the remixed tracks in Castlevania Chronicles. "Wicked child" was especially hard on the ears for me... the NES version is fantastic though.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
+1
Well, well... Now that's significantly more interesting...
Haha! That's because you first said...
You imbecilic wretch! (Just kidding  ;D)
...so I felt a joke was right  :P

But... Dracula's theme, anyone? So... haunting, so entrancing, so powerful, even -- heck, I'd been expecting something like Dance of Illusions when I'd gotten there the first time. Or am I the only one to have found it so extraordinary?
That tune is awesome! The atmosphere it creates is really haunting.

LOL! That is actually my favourite track in the entire game. It wasn't always like that but suddenly it started to grow on me and now I think it's a masterpiece. But I don't necessarily think it sounds like "Castlevania music" to be honest, so I guess I can see what you mean. But it's quirky and eerie and strangely beautiful, IMO.

On topic: I was never a big fan of "Simon's Theme". It's very iconic and I think it's pretty catchy, but I dunno... It's not bad but it's not as AWESOME as many people says. Compared to the "stage 1" tunes that came before AND immediately after it (Vampire Killer, Bloody tears (sort of), Beginning, Reincarnated Souls and Opposing Bloodlines) it doesn't even sound very Castlevania-ish to me.

Another song I have a real hard time appreciating is "Invitation of a crazed moon" from PoR. I really love the rest of the soundtrack in that game, but the very first song is not my cup of tea. At all. It does everything right on paper, but completely misses the mark anyway, or something. Can't explain. I guess it boils down to personal taste.

Finally, I was not a fan of the remixed tracks in Castlevania Chronicles. "Wicked child" was especially hard on the ears for me... the NES version is fantastic though.
Yes, it's the beginning that sounds funny to me. But it's not bad, of course.
Yes, Invitation of a Crazed Moon sounds very rare, it also did to me the first time I played the game.
And yes again, the Chronicles remixes are weird, they are like a techno version of the original ones, or something like that.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 11:07:49 AM »
Ah, well, it's all a matter of taste. It's might not be the most intricate piece of music Castlevania has seen, but... it is awesome, all right. It's the iconic opening to one of the series most iconic games: of course it's Castlevania!
But then again, I feel the same way about the other tracks you'd mentioned -- Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, Opposing Bloodlines? I love them all, but I still don't find them as good as some of the music I'd heard from other games.
Vampire Killer is catchy, but doesn't have that dramatic substance that could make it successful outside of its original format. Hence some of the tiresome heavy-metal VK arrangements in later games that I could never take to... When I listen to it, it's most often only on the NES version.
Beginning has a similar problem, although it was more successful in transitioning into different instrumentations...
Bloody Tears? It's absolutely great: musical, catchy, enthralling -- but so incredibly short! And, again, it lacks substance. So after hundreds of loops of the same 30-second tune -- no matter how great the music actually is -- it eventually loses its luster.
Opposing Bloodlines? It always came off to me as exceedingly repetitive. Maybe it was a matter of personal taste, but it also felt as if it lacked more interesting content. Still great, anyhow.
But remember: if anything, I've only dissected their faults to make their unmarred qualities shine even brighter. So I don't need to be insulted, either.  :P Don't forget, I love this music just as well!!

Yes. I could never really take to Invitation either. It didn't sound anywhere near what I'd expected, and it kept feeling odd ever since. It's all right, but definitely not one of my favorites.
And yes again, the Chronicles remixes are weird, they are like a techno version of the original ones, or something like that.
Yup. I second you there.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »
+1

But remember: if anything, I've only dissected their faults to make their unmarred qualities shine even brighter. So I don't need to be insulted, either.  :P Don't forget, I love this music just as well!!

Don't worry, I would never insult another person because of his/her taste. Quite the contrary! It's really interesting to see what other people think about these things. And I think most of us can agree that Castlevania music as a whole is friggin fantastic  ;D Even the tracks we don't necessarily "love" are still better than 90% of other video game music out there...

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
Don't worry, I would never insult another person because of his/her taste. Quite the contrary! It's really interesting to see what other people think about these things. And I think most of us can agree that Castlevania music as a whole is friggin fantastic  ;D Even the tracks we don't necessarily "love" are still better than 90% of other video game music out there...
Exactly! Just because there's some CV music isn't my favourite, that doesn't make it worse than the rest of VG music.
Don't misunderstand me: there's a lot of excellent VG music out there. But there's nothing (in general terms of music, even) that can match what CV music is!

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 02:43:18 AM »
Lords of Shadow, Mirror of Fate, Judgment and Harmony of Despair stand out as the lowest of the low the series has sunken to in terms of musical expression. All of them are unlistenable, by and large. I suppose I don't outright detest all the music to Legends, but it's incredibly shrill in instrumentation, which just serves to further bury the meager compositions.

Everything Takashi Yoshida contributed to Aria of Sorrow is garbage. Curse of Darkness contains a lot of filler tracks, mostly in the form of cutscene BGM, though I'd be happy never to have to suffer material like Infinite Corridor or Dracula's Castle again. To belabor the point, every time Yamane is called upon to compose a track for a chaotic realm-type area, I die a little inside. Similarly, I disliked the overall tone of her work in Portrait of Ruin, for indulging in false sentimentality and coming off as more than a little sappy. Several remixes in the Dracula X Chronicles miss their mark, usually for adopting a tiresome orchestral sound backed by a choir and embarrassing electric guitar accompaniment.

Pressure, Inversion, Castle Escape etc. are really boring. Generally no one composes good tracks for "panic" events in video games. Platinum Moonlight can't sustain itself for one loop, let alone extended listening during exploration.

There's probably more but I'm popping a vein now.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »
For me, probably a good portion of both Sorrow games. I don't know what it is but the music for those were decidedly average IMO except for a couple tracks.

And I agree with Shelverton about Simon's Theme. It's good but not amazing, especially in light of the fact that there really aren't any bad pieces on thr CV4 OST

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »
Lords of Shadow, Mirror of Fate, Judgment and Harmony of Despair stand out as the lowest of the low the series has sunken to in terms of musical expression. All of them are unlistenable, by and large. I suppose I don't outright detest all the music to Legends, but it's incredibly shrill in instrumentation, which just serves to further bury the meager compositions.
I agree... halfway. Lords of Shadow and Mirror of Fate are not "unlistenable", but offer a rather generic soundtrack that isn't anywhere near what we've come to expect from Castlevania. Judgment offers precious little in terms of musical originality, but does have some great remixes in its soundtrack. Among other things, it has my favorite version of Dance of Illusions, Iron Blue Intention, a great rendering of Castle Dracula, and a few other good tracks. Now, some Harmony of Despair's music is truly difficult to listen to; many of its metal rock versions of classic music are absolutely terrible. Yet it also happens to have my all-time favorite piece of Castlevania music in its OST -- Heart of Fire. It also comes with surprisingly good renderings of Castle Dracula, Nothing to Lose, or even Vampire Killer. So it's a very mixed bag.

For me, probably a good portion of both Sorrow games. I don't know what it is but the music for those were decidedly average IMO except for a couple tracks.
I agree. Most of the music from the Sorrow series was decent, but nothing more. There were, however, some truly good tracks there: Ruined Castle Corridor, Clock Tower, and Heart of Fire (!) for Aria; After Confession, Condemned Tower, The Pinnacle, along with the remixes of Bloody Tears and Beginning for Dawn.

Tags: