Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I may start a blog...  (Read 2635 times)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
I've been thinking for a bit about starting a blog.  Maybe they aren't so popular anymore (I dunno!) but I think I still want to do it.  A few reasons are:

- I love retro games, and retro gaming.  I love going back and replaying the NES and SNES games I grew up with, finding new ones I hadn't seen before, hearing the familiar chiptunes, all that stuff!  When new/indie games come out that have some sort of retro throwback like pixel graphics or whatever, they instantly catch my eye and I want to check them out.
- I often think about ways these games could be ported to modern systems (like Nintendo's Virtual Console), ways the game could be "updated" (change the graphics a little, maybe add some new quests or something, but keep the main game as close to the original as possible), and ways some games could be totally redone (as in, a whole new game in the "series" or whatever).
- I certainly don't expect companies to take and use my thoughts or ideas, but I really want to share them somewhere...maybe get a few "likes" and hear some other ideas.  Unfortunately, I don't really have any friends to share these thoughts and feelings with or anywhere to go with them.  Most of the people I used to play games with when growing up have grown out of gaming in some way.
- My sister blogged for a short time, and the way she wrote about things she liked and did seemed to be exactly what I want to do with my love for games, especially retro games.

Does anyone here have any suggestions or advice?  In my mind, I imagine titles being written in a boxy, 8-bit style font, and pages being decorated with 8-bit sprites...basically the background looking like an old-school video game.  I have no idea how to achieve such a thing though, and don't know where to even start looking.  (I imagine I'll want/need to design my own sprites, since it would probably be copyright infringement to copy/paste Mario and Link et. al. on my blog?)
Can anyone help a guy out?!  :-\  Anything free would be best right now (upcoming hospital and baby bills).

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
You should go for it, mate! I say this a lot, but I've had positive experiences with Wordpress. :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »
Having a blog will help you put some perspective on your life. It will also help get issues off your chest when you feel the need to talk or express things. If it works for Gunlord it can work for you too.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:20:27 AM »
I have one.  I like it.  I used it for things like http://chichichichipndale.deviantart.com/journal/My-god-It-s-full-of-anime-girls-469123609

but it's not like this is an ad or anything.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:52:18 AM »
Any recommendations or suggestions for sprite use or design?  If I just used Nintendo sprites, what trouble might I get in?  Does it make any difference if they are edited?  What (free, easy to use stuff) can I get to make my own?

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »
Any suggestions or tips on sprite making?  Especially in regards to a good program for making them?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »
You don't really need to have a program catered to sprites in order to make sprites. I use Corel PhotoPaint, but you can use whatever you feel will get the job done. Pixel art is just that; Pixels. Putting together those tiny squares in order to create an image. You could even use Microsoft Paint which automatically comes with windows if you feel so incline.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 03:04:41 AM »
Yeah. Microsoft paint works well with the grid thing on. I used to play around with that program making random pixel stuff before.
Now, I actually use a cross stitch program to create pixel patterns. hehehe.

Tags:

anything