Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So I replayed The Adventure...  (Read 9886 times)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:11 PM »
And I enjoyed the game.. a lot. The graphics (for such an early Gb game) are great, the music as we all know is fantasticz, and the gameplay is just misunderstood I believe. It's like CV1's difficulty: Trial and error. While CV1 was based on you knowing the enemy patterns AND using the right sub weapons at the right places, CVA focuses on knowing item placement and on the whip. It's the same idea, different methods. I was surprised how much fun I had actually completing the game fair and square without save states.

Something to know is that yes, you lose the whip upgrades, but thats because of how the game's sole attack IS the whip. It makes you stay on your toes constantly, and losing the power up isn't the end of the game. Myslef and others I'm sure have always loaded a state after every hit so we could keep our powerup, but thats just going to irritate the hell outta you. Part of the game's appeal, like CV1, is the thrill of surviving seemingly impossible obstacles. I haven't gotten that specific CV feeling from a game in some years.

I find that CVA is very underrated. Yes, sluggish movement, challenging, and short, but it's simplicity is also a strong point. Its fun to pick up and try to get far. If you hate the game for the popular reasons, I'm not sure if I can change your mind, but at least try the game again, play without save states, and have fun with a game based on challenging you.
(click to show/hide)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:45:04 PM »
Playing this game was frustrating yet enjoyable as I didn't stop, even after cursing and cussing my way to the end, lol. The main difficulty of the game is found mainly in Christopher Belmont's sluggish control scheme. His jumping is very weighty and he is slow unless you're playing the rom on PC and not the actual game from the cartridge. There are even secret areas to help you complete the game more easily if you know where to find them. There are four in total; one for each stage of the game. And they carry all that you need to bring yourself back up to speed if you've died before-hand. Loved the music! Original as it was like all the other CV games at that time. This was when CV tracks weren't being recycled, but being made! I never did play this on gameboy. I was lucky enough to have my super gameboy adapter for this mission, to play The Adventure on the big screen, and in color. The game also has you forcibly memorize the enemies and stage layout. In essence; to strategize, because if you don't, you'll always have your @$$ handed to you by the Count himself.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:52:41 AM »
How do you guys think it compares to Adventure Rebirth? I ask because AR gets a lot of criticism but I actually think it's quite a well composed game. Especially the stage with the alternate branches and locked doors (Stage 5?) was something previously unseen since VK or CV 64/LOD's Villa.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
How do you guys think it compares to Adventure Rebirth? I ask because AR gets a lot of criticism but I actually think it's quite a well composed game. Especially the stage with the alternate branches and locked doors (Stage 5?) was something previously unseen since VK or CV 64/LOD's Villa.

AR is a great game, and a Great return to the classicvania games. It's VERY different obviously, and I'd say it's more of a CV1 vs CV4 type argument. They are both (AR and 4) much different from their original inspirations, with the only real similarities being kinda minor (AR really only brings back the fireball and eyeball enemies, plus a song from Belmont's Revenge). AR is a better overall game, but CVA is still worth checking out, and they're MUCH different experiences.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 03:37:48 AM »
I always liked Adventure...seemed fairly solid for a Game Boy game. Most of the annoyances that people had were fairly easy to adjust to (like the pixel-perfect jumps in some spots).

As far as the GB games go, I'm not sure if I'd pick Adventure over Belmont's Revenge, but I definitely prefer it to Legends. Just didn't really care for the overall look and feel of that one.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline NetSphereEngineer

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:59:39 AM »
I never played but I plan to play it but the color versions!

Konami GB Collection Vol. 1 (Castlevania The Adventure)

Konami GB Collection Vol. 4 (Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 05:42:58 AM »
I never played but I plan to play it but the color versions!

Konami GB Collection Vol. 1 (Castlevania The Adventure)

Konami GB Collection Vol. 4 (Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge)

If I remember correctly doesn't that version of beonts Revenge replace the axe with the cross? Still, great little compilations!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 09:20:17 AM »
If I remember correctly doesn't that version of beonts Revenge replace the axe with the cross? Still, great little compilations!

It does. I have both on my PC and play them every once in a while.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »
Both adventure and adventure rebirth are disappointing to me. There are good things about both games but I think they both fall short compared to their peers.

Adventure is the least enjoyable gameboy cv IMO. And it really only boils down to the sluggish speed. I get very frustrated playing it because the graphics and music are great. Everything is great and yet the player is forced to play it under water. If they added bubble graphics coming from Christopher's mouth I would be like, oh yeah, I'm under water and wearing lead boots. I love so much about it, but the hate the feeling of playing it.

It's the exact opposite with adventure rebirth for me. I like the controls and feel of it, but the graphics and music seem a little uninspired to me. Something about it is just bland and cartoony. I can't put my finger on it but it rubs me the wrong way. The levels also seem dragged out and boring.

Between the 2 I would pick the original game boy version. But over all I would place any other classicvania above both adventure games.

Don't get me wrong though, I still love both games for what they are. And I had a great time
creating a new version of Battle of the Holy for Lecarde Chronicles 2. ????
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 12:04:06 PM »
Both adventure and adventure rebirth are disappointing to me. There are good things about both games but I think they both fall short compared to their peers.

Adventure is the least enjoyable gameboy cv IMO. And it really only boils down to the sluggish speed. I get very frustrated playing it because the graphics and music are great. Everything is great and yet the player is forced to play it under water. If they added bubble graphics coming from Christopher's mouth I would be like, oh yeah, I'm under water and wearing lead boots. I love so much about it, but the hate the feeling of playing it.

It's the exact opposite with adventure rebirth for me. I like the controls and feel of it, but the graphics and music seem a little uninspired to me. Something about it is just bland and cartoony. I can't put my finger on it but it rubs me the wrong way. The levels also seem dragged out and boring.

Between the 2 I would pick the original game boy version. But over all I would place any other classicvania above both adventure games.

Don't get me wrong though, I still love both games for what they are. And I had a great time
creating a new version of Battle of the Holy for Lecarde Chronicles 2. ????

I know exactly what you mean, man! That was the aspect of AR I DIDNT like. It seemed like a more childish affair, but the gameplay and control is spot on.

Tags: