Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Question: European clothing sizes vs American sizes  (Read 34332 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Question: European clothing sizes vs American sizes
« on: September 20, 2011, 12:02:26 PM »
Hiya people. Freddy here again, this time he's got a question.

I thought about buying some shirts online, but I'm not certain what size I should buy.
I know that in America everything is bigger, and that's a fact, not just a saying.
So basically, I came to a conclusion that the American standards in clothing are bigger than those of Europeans. What I mean is that American sizes for shirts are often (usually?) bigger than European ones.

For example, shirts in the American market marked as Large (L), will be marked as Extra-large (XL) in Europe. XL in America will be XXL in Europe, and so forth.

That's just my own assumption. I assume this because I bought a bunch of shirts marked L (this is the size I usually wear) and was surprised to see they're far bigger than my size. I assumed the shirts were intended for an American market, and therefore the bigger-than-usual size.

I am 5'10'' high, quite thin, and have wide shoulders. I hate wearing shirts bigger than my size. Maybe I should buy Medium? Or am I risking getting a shirt too small?
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Question: European clothing sizes vs American sizes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »
You could always compare the literal measurements in cm and etc of the American shirts and shirts you bought normally online. Considering your experience with the large shirts, it's reasonable to assume that you should get medium shirts this time though.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
Whats the difference between a U.S. Large and a E.U. Large?

Answer: two X's.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »
I'm 6'1, 210 lbs., a big ol' root beer gut, and mediums fit me fine—generally. I need to lose about 20–30 pounds and get back to the right size, so in the meantime some of my shirts don't fit well. Well, and at my height mediums can sometimes be too short, which is bullshit... And then there's the issue of having fairly broad shoulders and mediums being too tight around the area, which is also bullshit.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »
Well, people, I've made my comparisons online and came to a conclusion that indeed, shirts marked as L in my country are actually only medium-sized in US.
But to take my point further, I've measured and compared two of my shirts.

The shirt on the right is an ordinary cheap green t-shirt found in every shop in Israel. Its tag is marked XL.
The left is an American-style shirt marked L. It may look smaller because of the camera's angle, but don't be deceived. It's far bigger.
What I found interesting is that the length is almost identical. However, the "American large" is 3 inches WIDER than the Israeli XL. 

Conclusion? You people are not taller. Just far wider. lol  :P
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »
USA has the highest amount of Obese people in the world.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags:

anything