Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV2 Revamped - REVAMPED again - need sprite artists!!  (Read 12167 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: CV2 Revamped - REVAMPED again - need sprite artists!!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 09:42:11 PM »
The Silver knife already does this.

Not to mention the silver knife is also a piercing weapon, as in it goes through enemies no matter how strong they are. The point of the crappy knife is that it's free to use early in the game. In fact the regular knife in Vampire Killer is basically the same, except it replaces the whip, goes full screen and two can be thrown at once. Anyway, the point is, it's a free to use and you should never take features away from a remake, only add more.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »
**SIGH** Sorry to be so blunt Metroidquest, but before you add any new features you should DEFINITELY make sure to fix the hitbox issues in your game. You should then test it thoroughly to ensure that the sound issues are fixed, and that all the little other bugs are taken care of. You should also take the time to implement basic controller support (it is not hard at all, and if you pretend it is then you are just lazy). And you definitely need to implement continues. like in the original game. The save process you have in now is a poor substitute for it.

I gave you a list of bugs and issues some time ago that I hope you will actually take the time to fix now that you have more interest in your game. You may also want to tweak the bosses AI, because right now they are all god awful.

Then after all of the basics are done, should you be working improving the graphics. I am sorry to be so harsh, but after using GM for 2 months I have to say that although even making what you have made takes effort, most of the bugs that I listed and basic features that are missing could have actually been fixed very easily if you actually sat down and took the time rather than rushing. Better to make everyone wait a bit longer and release something good quality, than rush and release something that looks like a lazy half job and gets little to no attention (which is what happened before; and you definitely should get noticed for something like this).

Just my two cents bro.  8)
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • hacking games since 1999
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 05:34:08 AM »
Esco, do me a favor. Play the most recent version, 1.1.. forget all the sound issues you were having with it.
Tell me exactly what hit boxes are not right. One by one.. and I will fix each one. But you MUST use the new version and play through it entirely. Because, from my point of view and many others hit boxes are not a big problem.

I will be implementing better controller use in the new version. I'm still waiting for anyone to give me a good template.

Offline Mikepjr

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 06:46:48 AM »
I am looking right now at the cover for CastleVania 2, and simon does not have red hair, he has blond hair on the cover.. and i feel that although thats the right color for his boots, they are kinda bright compared to the box cover's art, a bit.. to.. um.. vibrant, it needs dulled down a little to almost a metal blue, and as i said.. he should be blond... thats all i gotta say about the sprites used.

And if i may without getting anyone pissed, could i maybe take a crack at modding your sprite sheet Jorge?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 07:55:30 AM »
I designed my sprite for easy palette-changing.  Because of this, you can easily edit Simon's hair/armor/boots color in a number of ways.
If you take a look at the sprite thread, I've shown some examples of how the palette can be changed.

Here are the examples in case you don't want to click:
Possible Hair Color Changes

SotN Maria Renard Blonde
RoB Young Maria Renard Blonde
CVChronicles Ayami Kojima Simon Belmont Redhead
Akumajo Dracula X68000 Simon Belmont Brown
(the original color I used was Super CV4 Simon Belmont Brown, btw)

Possible Armor Color Changes

1. cv2 boxart armor
2. cv4 Simon Belmont armor (did not do the greaves)
3. Akumajo Dracula (JPN) Blue Armor colors (using Richter's blues)
4. Akumajo Dracula X68000 "Classic" Armor colors
5. Ayami Kojima Leather-Armor Simon
6. Vampire Killer MSX RedArmor Simon
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • hacking games since 1999
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 09:05:58 AM »
very cool, Jorge!! any votes?

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 09:15:01 AM »
Why not just implement all the variations associated with CV2 and make the palette selectable?
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 09:26:10 AM »
I love all the palettes I've made, but the point of that is that it's a highly customizable sprite.
If you don't like the hair color, you can change it to a number of variations.
There are two armor colors two inner-armor colors, two hair colors, two skin colors, three metal/boot colors, three 'lining' colors, and one 'shading' color that you have to share among a number of other colors.  I tried to keep the colors separated such that they were never used in non-appropriate scenarios (except for the 'shading' color, which is an off-black color used only for the darkest parts of the sprite).

If you guys want to work on some palettes for my sprite, you're welcome to.  I highly encourage it.  I just made some just for a good example.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »
Esco, do me a favor. Play the most recent version, 1.1.. forget all the sound issues you were having with it.
Tell me exactly what hit boxes are not right. One by one.. and I will fix each one. But you MUST use the new version and play through it entirely. Because, from my point of view and many others hit boxes are not a big problem.

I will be implementing better controller use in the new version. I'm still waiting for anyone to give me a good template.

The bosses..... enough said. Other than that, sorry but I will not be providing you any more support; not only have I already provided you two DETAILED lists of issues, but when I started using GM I sent you two U2U's asking for just a little help and you completely ignored me. I also do not intend to play thru a version of a game that doesn't even have properly working sound. And that's real.
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline reiko26

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 04:30:57 PM »
the first time I played CV2 revamped, i liked it overall other than the fact there seemed to be delay in attacking the enemies. it was like they had more of an invincibility after first hit for about 4 seconds and could still hit you before you made the second attack.

MQ, that is suggestion that i would like to make, in order for you to fix that one issue i found. and yeah. just giving you constructive criticism is all. ;)

Offline Mikepjr

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
I love all the palettes I've made, but the point of that is that it's a highly customizable sprite.
If you don't like the hair color, you can change it to a number of variations.
There are two armor colors two inner-armor colors, two hair colors, two skin colors, three metal/boot colors, three 'lining' colors, and one 'shading' color that you have to share among a number of other colors.  I tried to keep the colors separated such that they were never used in non-appropriate scenarios (except for the 'shading' color, which is an off-black color used only for the darkest parts of the sprite).

If you guys want to work on some palettes for my sprite, you're welcome to.  I highly encourage it.  I just made some just for a good example.

Awesome i think i like the first and second one the most, they remind me more of the cover Simon.

And i would like to test what ever version of this game there is thus far.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:45:24 PM by Mikepjr »

Tags:

anything