Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania III is pretty hardcore. Anyone else think so?  (Read 15910 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: Castlevania III is pretty hardcore. Anyone else think so?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »
I don't recall ever having the patience and commitment to beat Castlevania III. It's just not one of my more favorite games in the series, which is weird to say because I love the Oldskoolvanias the most and this one is regarded as one of the best. But of those games, the third ranks pretty low for me. Not sure if it's just because of the difficulty or I just don't find the design that fascinating or what. All I can think of is that one orange level where the blocks fall for an hour and you have to keep dodging them until you get to the top platform. Shit bores the piss out of me, and that whole level almost feels like some kinda fucked-up glitch somehow rather than a well-rounded, fun design. Maybe someday I'll have a true appreciation for it.

I'm thinking if I do decide to devote time and effort to it, I'll go with the Japanese version. The difficulty seems a little more rounded out, and the music and certain visual effects are better.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 10:47:01 PM »
All I can think of is that one orange level where the blocks fall for an hour and you have to keep dodging them until you get to the top platform. Shit bores the piss out of me, and that whole level almost feels like some kinda fucked-up glitch somehow rather than a well-rounded, fun design.

Just take a different route. That'll spare you the boredom. And yea, that level can get very tedious at times. But if you have Alucard then just turn into a bat and skip it, but do be careful not to collide with a falling block.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 03:30:25 AM »
I usually go with Grant 'cos he's way more awesomez. :<
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 03:37:00 AM »
+1
As I've always said. CV3 is almost undoubtedly my favorite game in the series. I've only beaten it recently on an emulator though. My NES cartridge was fucked and in the battle with Leviathan the demon thing that jumps around.... It always, ALWAYS never load after that. I can't remember it specifically now but it was either the level complete ball that never comes out or it came out and I just stay there til I die. But after like 20 attempts to get pass that. I finally had to quit til recently where I managed to emulate it.

However, I think I abused Save States like crazy on the emulation.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
Have you ever tried connecting your game up to the a game genie cart and see if that helps alleviate the issue?
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
I gotta say.. CV3 always kicks my ass. I can beat it fine. But damn. I die a lot.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »
As for CV4..... I don't know what it is, but I find it boring. all the freedom you get, with the whipping in all directions, and controlling your jumps, it just makes the game a bit too easy, so I usually get bored at around stage 4-2 or so. I mean, in Castlevania 1, I can play for like 6 hours straight, get any amount of game overs, and keep going, but with this one, I make it to stage 4 or so, have gotten only about 5-6 game overs, and I just turn it off because I'm bored. Maybe I'm missing something? The musics awesome, and it's fun at first, but... it just gets boring. But that's just my opinion, you guys feel free to love the game.
[/quote]

Wait a sec.. You already have 5 or 6 game overs racked up by stage 4? That doesn't sound to me like it's easy for you! LOL. I can make well into stage 8 without even dying. I think the difficulty in CV4 is perfect because it gets harder as it goes on. It crescendos perfectly in my opinion. The only complaint I have is that Dracula is too easy. But then again, I always cheat and get the power ups from the invisible floor under the stairs right before his chamber.

I don't think that giving the player more maneuverability is the reason some parts of the game are easier in the beginning. I think it's just the difficulty that they set the enemies at. I think CV4 has the best controls of any CV ever. I'll never understand why the awesome mechanics they put in that game haven't been repeated. 

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
Oops I quoted Gypsy the wrong way. Sorry I'm still new to this forum.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
Have you ever tried connecting your game up to the a game genie cart and see if that helps alleviate the issue?

No... I don't have the game anymore. It was really my..... niece's? or something and is left over there somewhere when I moved out. And we didn't have game genie.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 05:56:15 AM »
I usually go with Grant 'cos he's way more awesomez. :<

You can get Grant and then take the path through the Haunted Ship.
Taking the Mountainside Path with Grant is a taxing experience.  The deck's stacked against Grant in those long stages.  Grant can jump higher and control his jumps, but those stages have spiked ceilings and jumping enemies.  Grant can move faster, but those stages have more crumbly platforms and wild enemy encounters (Mermen).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »
Grant can move faster, but those stages have more crumbly platforms and wild enemy encounters (Mermen).

This isn't a problem for Grant. He can hang from below on a crumbling block and it won't crumble. I'm not sure if it's a game glitch or an intentional element.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 01:26:29 PM »
Yeah it's a feature; Grant won't crumble the block.
But the spots where that happens are few, and it's difficult to climb off of them.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline crimsonmist

• the fate of a fallen hunter
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 10:28:14 PM »
This isn't a problem for Grant. He can hang from below on a crumbling block and it won't crumble. I'm not sure if it's a game glitch or an intentional element.
i don't believe that's intentional, maybe the developers originally planned the blocks would crumble no matter if you're standing on it or below it? and then they neglected the times when you'd hang below them so grant can exploit them?
GAME OVER