Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Shovel Knight - Game inspired by Megaman/Castlevania/Dark Souls  (Read 9565 times)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards

Shovel Knight is a sweeping classic action adventure game with awesome gameplay, memorable characters, and an 8-bit retro aesthetic. It's a hot mashup of new and old that may remind you of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Dark Souls! You play as the eponymous Shovel Knight, a small knight with a huge quest. Shovel Knight has come to this valley with two goals: to defeat the evil Enchantress and save his lost beloved. He wields a ShovelBlade: a multipurpose weapon whose techniques have now been lost to the ages. Always honest and helpful, Shovel Knight is a shining example of the code of Shovelry: Slash Mercilessly and Dig Tirelessly!

But, between Shovel Knight and his beloved stands a cadre of villainous knights. These terrible foes, known as The Order of No Quarter, have been dispatched to prevent Shovel Knight from reaching the Enchantress, and will pursue their mission at any cost.

If you love games with perfect platforming, beautiful art, infectious music, crazy bosses, and real heart… Shovel Knight is for you! If you don’t, then what? How could you not be into that stuff? Keep reading, you’ll come around!

Great music is central to great games, so it’s with incredible excitement that we can announce that Jake “Virt” Kaufman is composing the soundtrack for Shovel Knight! For those of you who don’t know, Jake is one of the most talented audio guys in the game biz, contributing on games from Mighty Switch Force to Contra 4 to Shantae. His most recent work on Double Dragon Neon has garnered as much praise as the game itself!

Shovel Knight is currently nearing the end of preproduction. This means that the game design has been written, the main character designs and story have been created, and we have a plan for moving forward. We have an early build of the game that proves out our game mechanics and technology; you can see some footage in the trailer and we'll also be at PAX East!

However, many things are still up in the air. Enemies and objects need to be designed and drawn. Audio, Animation, and Backgrounds need to be crafted. Lastly, we need to polish everything to a mirror sheen. Basically, we have what you saw in the video. Now we need to make the whole game.

So, we think this is a great time in the process to involve the community. We have a skeleton to build on, but we want you to be the meat!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight

---

You guys know what to do. I'll kill anyone who don't get this game, personally. No, seriously... buy it.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
Re: Shovel Knight - Game inspired by Megaman/Castlevania/Dark Souls
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »
it looks solid.. i may have to give it a go around
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »
Interesting :o

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
+1
Master Kaufman is in charge of the soundtrack, so for that alone, the game is worth trying.
The graphics look very interesting too, and being so retro but neither pretentious nor irreverent (like many recent games), maybe I'll like it.
WayForward is doing alright so far.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »
I want to donate but I dont even have a international credit card nor money, the video really interested me.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »
I may throw in $15 and get it on 3DS, woot.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 03:08:05 AM »
Holy crap! This looks incredible. I may have to put some money into this.

Seeing things like this being made in the year 2013 brings a joyful tear to my dirty little eye.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:18:10 AM »
"dirty" and "little eye", you are talking about your "third" eye or what? o.O
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:22:23 AM »
...no, but good idea!
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:39:23 AM »
I've never seen this specific eye crying, but okay! xD
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:01:58 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:51:22 AM »
The mechanics reminds me of Ducktales (which is getting a remake by Wayforward too, this year).

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »
Megaman? Dark Souls? AND Castlevania? I love all these things.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »
This game looks really attractive from a graphical standpoint. Just looking at the maps screen takes me back to those good ol' days of the 8-Bit era. If this is available for the 3DS then I think I'll take it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 07:01:41 PM »
If this is available for the 3DS then I think I'll take it.

The game got funded, so you'll be able to buy it fer whatever the asking price is, once it's out.

And yeah, the grafix look really neat. I always felt the art in Mega Man 9 and 10 was extremely lazy, especially considering how much nicer later games in the NES series looked, so it's nice to see a new NES-style game look really good with lush backgrounds and that.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 01:05:38 AM »
I expect this game to be a huge sucess, so they can make sequels or other games. The important is that they have a good vision of how to make a retro game.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: