Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Maybe that is the problem?  (Read 6354 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »
We are hating or talking bad things about some new games because we are getting old and moody? After seeing this...
MoF in the end hit me in a very, very odd way. I have a big love,hate relationship very 50/50 with it but hey, Richard Madden FTW. Yes people I'll admit the one thing mof made me accept maybe even "like" was a character I loath... Love the Trevor, yet the.... Alucard ehh but Madden sounds way to awesome to ignore. Yet one thing, one aspect does not make up for the overall experience which is something I just cannot explain.

On the plus(other) side my six year old niece likes this game and has been playing it by herself with very little to no help. she said the first boss IIRC with Simon looks like the guys from mad tv on cartoon network those spy vs spy segments.

...Im really in doubt if the problem is me or some of the new games. Share your opinions about that and lets find out. (Bloodreign, I want your opinion too since you is or atleast like to act as the older one here xD)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:37:55 AM »
+1
I thought I wasn't going to like anything about MoF, but in the end, despite many flaws, it found some redemption with me, thanks to the beauty of its levels and background, the good story and especially great ending.
I posted some kind of review some days ago, but overall, I can say that I liked it better than LoS and it had some good stuff.
I don't know if that's the kind of answer you were looking for, or if you wanted to talk about something specific about the game.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 06:21:13 AM »
Well, I want opinions. You can talk about any new game here and about the main question. :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »
+1
Well, I'm 23, but I am very retro in my tastes.
I don't know if it's a problem, it's just that modern gaming isn't so engaging to me as it is to play a traditional game.
On the other hand, I enjoyed PS2, Wii (and to a less degree PS3), as much as SNES classics.
I'd like new platoforms to have games like Megaman 9 or Castlevania Rebirth, portable games like the DS MetroidVanias, RPG's like Star Ocean 4, action games like Bayonetta or Nier, or some original ideas like Valkyria Chronicles, which, while being original, still feels so classic.
I am particularly frustrated these days about no new game satisfying me, and I'm still waiting for my next great game.
Sometimes a good game is a way of transportation to a better world, a fantasy. Sometimes that's the only ease I can find to get away from sadness. To lose myself in an alternate reality that make me feel better. It worked so fine in high school when popular girls thought that it was awkward for me to watch anime and play games.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
+1
Nope, its cuz they're trash.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:02:49 PM by Kale »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 12:13:27 AM »
Thanks for quoting me. Yes for mirror of fate it struck me as strange. As for me not being able to explain it well over afew post I kind of did, but when I compare MoF to shinobi I feel very strange. I came in thinking MoF would wipe the floor with shinobi but as of right now it's the other way around. The overall package of shinobi out shines MoF in a lot of ways maybe I should post a thread about it.

As for new games I am loving the new tomb raider. At least Lara does not look like some sex doll  :P She looks levels better than ever  and the control is very responsive and fluid  :)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 03:03:55 AM »
My saying is, companies are trying to do things cookie cutter, no risks involved anymore, sometimes the best games involved fresh new ideas, sometimes these were risky to take.

Stuff that's mainstream is the same regurgitated crap year in and year out, I've also noticed some games try to use their violence as a selling point, hello gameplay should be the focal point of a game, as well as some story and a good soundtrack, not how many guys I can blow the head off of with guns.

I miss the days when you had to beat a high score, or find your way through a level, or have a game be extremely tough (it can still be done, Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins PSP proved this, AND it had an awesome soundtrack and is quite recent, as well as it's even harder Japanese revision which did away with the fetch quests) and rewarding when you pass an area.

Everything to me feels bland lifeless now, and needs to be in HD to satisfy the kiddies out there. I miss the days of scanlines and lo res sprites (call me old fashioned if you want, I don't really give a shit). The problem to me I feel is we'll accept anything game companies throw out there these days,  just throwing money away.

Also don't get me started on DLC, you make enough money from the game already, why do yu feel the need to put something on the disc and force people to pay to unlock, or in the case of EA, make every game from now on have microtransactions. Again I miss the day when a full game was put out, if you wanted something, you earned it via unlocking it. Sure the NES/SNES/Genesis days weren't perfect when a game was buggy when released as they couldn't patch it, but often times the glitches weren't really easy to do and you knew which companies would put out garbage games, and you learned to avoid their product.

As for MoF, sorry I haven't played it, it's on something I do not own.

On topic again: Something about the older games just continually draw me in, whether they are merciless beasts that show no remorse for lack of skills, level designs, soundtracks for each stage of each game (some old games cheated for cart space by reusing songs). I can't talk to any real life gamers even my age, they tell me I should move on and forget about the old games, I just call them sheep and they shut their mouths. I've been called an old fogie for not liking HD spritework because it looks like a cartoon or more lifelike, I didn't need that in my youth, my imagination was more than enough to help out. I know people younger than me that appreciate the types of games I play more than stuff now.

For me it's familiarity, nostalgia, and the fact that I still get a kick out of collecting a game I've tested in emulation to see how it was (helps avoid blind purchases ya know) and knowing it's now in my collection, ready at any moment for me to grab off a shelf, don't have to sit through 10,000 splash screens, with absolutely no loading, just jump in and play.

I've got buddies who want me to catch up to them so bad (one even purchased the PS3 for me that I own) in gaming eras, but I refuse to just jump in, I see too much trouble ahead and stuff that's not for me anymore. I also don't see anything that requires use of my imagination anymore (a must for me to enjoy a game), it's all too lifelike now,  I want fantasy in my games, not a game that continues to keep me in the reality that I dire to escape from when I game. There's the Ys series I know which is still around, I watched someone Livestream it, it seems like Falcom didn't forget the formula for the series. It pretty much impopsed a fantasy feeling on you, you took the role of a courageous hero (I don't pretend to know it's story because I don't know it) out to rescue a kingdom, no shooting guns involved, no sports, just pure swordplay and magic. And it looks like it allows you to immerse yourself in it and lose yourself for awhile and forget your troubles.

My 2 cents, even if it was a tad overblown. And yes I'm old and old fashioned when it comes to music, TV, and games. Take it as you will, as I care not if someone likes it or not, it's my life. I'm an adult and have to do adult things and pay bills, I don't need a game with shitloads of realism to not let me forget such things. :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:10:29 AM by Bloodreign »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 04:12:05 AM »
Reading this makes me feel so old, because I know what you mean. It is like if lived in a mine of gold years ago and now rarely I see a gold nugget.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 04:13:20 AM »
Pfil, I'm curious if you've played Lost in Shadow on the Wii. It's one of the most engaging sidescrolling platformers I've played in recent years.

Fantasy is something I look for in games, so I'm with Bloodreign there on the "real" approach most games seem to take. I also sometimes like games that just...don't try to hide the fact that they're games? I adore games that suck you into a different world, but there's always that fun "breaking the fourth wall" aspect or doing things that are inherently "video game." I praise SUDA51 pretty much all the time, and amidst a long list of reasons why I love his stuff, I enjoy that his games are unabashedly video gamey, not trying to sell you too much on the believability of this alternate world but showing you that, hey, you're kicking back playing a pretty cool game with controllers and stuff right now, let's see what we can do with this medium and have some fun.

At least the Deadly Premonition director's cut is coming out. It may be a game I've already played and plugged way too many hours into, but I'm excited to play it again with enhancements and added stuffz. Now there's a game that I can get lost into.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 07:17:35 AM »
I also am looking for fantasy in games. I am not that fond of the realistic approach that game developers are taking right now. If I want realistic scenes, I'd watch the news or a documentary.

I treat games as an escape, similar to Pfil, I also experienced the jeers or perhaps, envy of high school female classmates since I can relate to all my male classmates when it came to games and anime. Ha!

Reading this makes me feel so old, because I know what you mean. It is like if lived in a mine of gold years ago and now rarely I see a gold nugget.

Yes, those days, gamers were bathing in gold. sigh....

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »
I also am looking for fantasy in games. I am not that fond of the realistic approach that game developers are taking right now. If I want realistic scenes, I'd watch the news or a documentary.

I treat games as an escape, similar to Pfil, I also experienced the jeers or perhaps, envy of high school female classmates since I can relate to all my male classmates when it came to games and anime. Ha!

I think it's a bit of both for me, but it's not without valid reason, IMO. There are some games I've played recently that I DO like, so it's not really JUST me being an old jaded prick, but I do detest(okay, HATE WITH VENGEANCE) the fact that certain genres and styles of games, be it playstyle or visual representation, are literally DYING because of the current AAA trends are curbstomping them, masquerading like if you aren't going the realistic route, the QTE route, the CoD, dark, gritty and grounded route(with lots of browns and muted colors), you aren't worth a damn and should NEVER be worth a damn. That's sickening to me. It puts off lots of developers because, they see it that the only way they can' succeed in this industry is if they JUST do what's popular. It's been brought up a lot, but really, some developers are just to pussy to try new things. Nobody wants to take a chance and step out of the wading pool and try their hand at swimming in the deep end. Either you sink or float, but that's apparent with every choice in life, man up! If new ideas are stifled and not allowed to fly, that leads to pure stagnation. That pisses me off. Pisses me off like a motherfucker!

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »
+1
I want fantasy in my games, not a game that continues to keep me in the reality that I dire to escape from when I game.
That is SO, SO TRUE for me.
And in general, I agree with your post.

Indeed :(

Pfil, I'm curious if you've played Lost in Shadow on the Wii. It's one of the most engaging sidescrolling platformers I've played in recent years.
I did not play it, but I will give it a try now that I have good reference :)

It comforts me to know that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »
You might be able to find it cheap; for a long while I saw it for $10 at Walmart. It's just a really nice dream-fantasy type game with fun platforming and action. Also has graphics and an atmosphere that genuinely remind me of Ico.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 04:01:53 PM »
+1
Ico... great game, one of the most original games I've played, yet very classic.
I will let you know when I play Lost in Shadow, thanks for the info :)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »
It seems that every one here want's a game that's out there and to pull one's self out of reality..

Is it possible to say that it's because of the generations we all grew up in that we had to use our imaginations and stuff to different degrees?

I've always wanted to play ico shadow of the colossus  is ehh to me shockingly

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:42:20 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags:

anything