Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SNK Heroines September 7, 2018  (Read 4231 times)

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« on: August 02, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »
some rant about the game mechanics being more casual friendly, but the market is pushing in that direction. DBFZ is said to have sold millions and is leading the genre this year in the competition despite single button combos. 
the more technical a fighting game and less inviting it is to casuals, the more its ignored if its not from the overrated top companies or brands.
so overall its natural for SNK Heroines and other fighting games to be more accessible

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/02/snk-heroines-next-fighter-is-terry-bogard/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFC4M36IWSE

the roster picks are amusing, but what harms SNK Heroines profits is not the simplified aspects but the combat, but how they present the gameplay foundation as a whole.

in my opinion SNK Heroines should have been KOF with an all female roster.  a The Queen of Fighters basically (that actually should have been the title too).   They don't need to crank the fanservice to 11 to make an all female fighting game appealing.  the sex appeal takes care of itself, the game should focus on delivering a fighting game that rivals or surpasses KOFXIV.

its just messed up how their mindset is that "if its an all female fighting game, it has to have a smaller roster, it has to be pillow fisted heart shaped combat presentation, it has to have a gimmicky tag team format instead of a proper 3 vs 3 elimination format.   I mean heck, its just a wasted opportunity having it go in the direction of "fighting game for absolute perverts" angle.

they could have treated it as a serious competition.   it could be fun and beautiful, without being trashy.
it can be otherworldly and have gender benders without presenting the game as a whole like a sex predator's mansion.

but the sexism culture in Japan is partially to blame.  Women being belittled, ridiculed, and objectified to the extremes.   their companies cant even consistently develop japanese games centered on beautiful female protagonists without it being marketed and designed like its exclusively intended for male perverts, while leaving female gamers out of the equation.

even with the low budget cap they have, they could have made a respectable all SNK womens fighting game.  but they merely set the game up to be remembered as some kind of guilty pleasure for basement dwellers. I dunno if EVO hasnt already shoved it off the table for tournaments.  but then again, there are big tournaments out there that featured Sailor Moon competitions.

DOA5LR has a lot of optional fanservice material, but it still treats itself as a serious competitive tournament first.
even if it had an all female roster, its overall presentation makes it more inviting to all demographics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIEhDbnu8vA

yea even though SNK Heroines is based on Gal Fighters, that doesnt mean it has to be treated like a sex show.

and of course, they shouldn't censor nor ruin the character designs like some western devs do to their female characters, being so conservative and making some of their female characters look masculine and ugly and wearing too modest clothing as if their company has been taken over by Iran.  so terrible.    thats the opposite extreme SNK should NOT do either.

SNK Heroines could have been more properly presented and balanced, which in turn could make it profit more and fund KOFXV even further.
its insane even Rumble Roses XX is generally more mature and serious than how SNK Heroines is presented. 
you dont see some pervy dude behind the scenes kidnapping female wrestlers and force them to wear ridiculous outfits in Rumble Roses games.

even Pretty Fighter X is quite respectable and the girls are their own boss in a serious competition they CHOSE to participate in.

but its a tough call. SNK needs all the support it can get and its a crime KOFXIV didnt sell as much as it should have. its a total injustice that SFV sold more.
buying SNK Heroines may offend one's standards and principles for female representation, but at the sametime,
skipping it would betray the innocent side of the game, and turn one's back on the SNK fan favorites and the overall girl power and female glorification side of the game also represents.

and even a simple game like this still has developers put a lot of hours and hard work to get it completed.  and admittingly, it is the best graphics all female fighting game to date, with better textures and visuals than KOFXIV.   and the game mechanics appear complex enough.
I think it could be fun and worthwhile and the pervy story and silly costumes can be ignored (well at least, not chose those costumes oneself, if I play it online and someone uses a costume I dont approve of, I wont get upset over it, I mean, DOA5LR has its share of over the top costumes and I just fight).

its just that, its just insane how they could have easily made a respectable Queen of Fighters game, and now the game have even more hurdles to jump before the game gets approved by more players, and thats before even reaching the netcode approval factor!

Tags: