Poll

Should Castlevania characters look like...

Anime
Gothic "Beutiful" boy
Real

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Art Styles  (Read 9953 times)

SonOfBelmont

Art Styles
« on: May 14, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
Hay yall I was just polling to see if you people prefered certain castlevania styles. I would raither prefere realisic looking characters not like Leon Belmont and his femine features...I want men with facial hair and ruggedness like those of the time. I could actually see a armored belmont with a whip and all sorts of other weapons not skin tight clothing. But yet you cant change the world though right?

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Art Styles
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »
In Reply To #1

noob topic

"Observe their fates and learn well."

SonOfBelmont

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 07:11:01 PM »
How would this be a noob topic? It is a well though out debate for other people to agree or disagree apon artistic styles. Art is designed for people to debate because art is influesed by the drawers eyes making it a very complex order of visual imagery and imagitive thought. Realisticly speaking.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »
In Reply To #3

Because this topic's been discussed to hell.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »
Don't care about the art style of the characters as long as the gameplay is good  and the scenery is cool.
Behold my power and tremble

warfreak

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:18:02 AM »
In Reply To #4

Nothing wrong with discussing it a bit more.

Any Ayami Kojima art for Castlevania is good imo.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:57:19 AM »

I prefer the effeminate guys. They look good, the art is very detailed and it fits with the vampire motif. 'Nuff said!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:42:41 AM »
I'll take manly Conan warriors, kthx.  Not butt-ugly, but muscular, built, and battle-hardened.  They can be good looking, but they have to look tough.

The bad guys can look effeminate, especially if they're Vampiric.  That might be awesome.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

warfreak

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »
In Reply To #8

Do you mean something like Simon-style in CV Chronicles?  :)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »
In Reply To #8

Do you mean something like Simon-style in CV Chronicles?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »
Hay yall I was just polling to see if you people prefered certain castlevania styles. I would raither prefere realisic looking characters not like Leon Belmont and his femine features...

By realastic, you mean how Simon looks like on the cover of Simon's quest or Dracula's curse's artwork? Because I was glad when they finally switched over to Kojima's style. And I think the characters she designed looked better and better until they switched over to anime. Which looks awesome absolutely horrible.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »
In Reply To #2

Maybe so, but I still enjoy it whenever one of these pops up, because it means another chance for me to express my opinions. And c'mon, who doesn't love talking about themselves?  ;)

BTW, I picked the Gothic style. like that of Kojima. The real people of the time were ugly and stupid looking. The reason I love Castlevania is because it romanticises the past, and therefore is much more than just your standard history lesson.  :) ;) :P
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
In Reply To #12

I don't know man.  Kojima's very good with the details (lace, frills, accessories, shining, furls, etc.) but her character poses and actual physique is sometimes just plain ol' DEAD WRONG.

Like Trevor's CoD 'pose'.  He's got loooooong legs sticking out like a Crab, but they're also super-thin, so it's odd.  Yoko's AoS picture has her breasts by her bellybutton (and not because of size) under a seemingly huge blouse that somehow has a vest over it.  I don't know if she did the art for DXC but human Annette's neck rivals the 'loooongcat' internet meme.  Lastly, Chronicles Simon (never mind the dragqueen look) has a head that is arguably than his bicep...

Of course, all of that can be countered by the usual cop-out of 'that's the style!'.

I liked the way CoD Trevor looked though, and like ANTRAXX waid, it's probably the best middle-ground I'd settle for (though his armor/vest is still more of a bustier/corset than 'armor').
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Ciel

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »
Hay yall I was just polling to see if you people prefered certain castlevania styles. I would raither prefere realisic looking characters not like Leon Belmont and his femine features...I want men with facial hair and ruggedness like those of the time. I could actually see a armored belmont with a whip and all sorts of other weapons not skin tight clothing. But yet you cant change the world though right?

Which time? If it's like 1600 ~ 1800 the men would be very "effeminate". Males weren't slobs then, especially the aristocracy. They had well-maintained, long hair, fine garments, etc. Where do you think the whole Kojima design style came from? Baroque and Renaissance fashion, of course.  Leon would probably look a little rougher, but I find him believable as an 11th century man.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 12:38:42 AM »
In Reply To #14

That is true but keep in mind that the knights were the lowest class of noblemen unless he was a noblemen already before becoming a knight. ( I didn't play LOI) Still Leon is a semi - believable character and I think he came out very well in comparison to some other more modern characters...

Tags:

anything