Poll

Should Castlevania characters look like...

Anime
Gothic "Beutiful" boy
Real

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Art Styles  (Read 9952 times)

warfreak

Re: Art Styles
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 01:18:55 AM »
In Reply To #15

During 1600 ~ 1800, men were rather "effeminate". This would encompass games such as RoB and SotN.

Leon lived during the 11th century, and he was a baron. He's actually very believable.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »
Leon's cool.

...just don't like his hair.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 02:15:18 PM »
In Reply To #15
Leon lived during the 11th century, and he was a baron. He's actually very believable.

Didn't know that last part since I haven't played LOI and didn't do much digging in it's background. But you are right, men were effeminate during that period so him being a noble, it's believable allright.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »
men were effeminate during that period so him being a noble, it's believable allright.

This doesn't make sense.

men weren't effeminate during that period so him being a noble, it's believable allright.

fixed.

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »

Uh...yeah. Believe it or not, men were effeminate back in the day. They would wear lipstick, powder their faces, and scratch blue crap on their face to bring out the veins.

Have you ever seen depictions of angels or saints? Ever wonder why you could never tell if they were male or female?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:46:03 PM by Azmodan »
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 02:44:39 PM »
Wikipedia tells me otherwise.

Costume during the twelfth century in Europe was simple and differed only in details from the clothing of the preceding centuries. Men wore knee-length tunics for most activities, and men of the upper classes wore long tunics, with hose and mantles or cloaks. Women wore long tunics or gowns. A close fit to the body, full skirts, and long flaring sleeves were characteristic of upper class fashion for both men and women.

The bliaut

A new French fashion for both men and women was the bliaut or bliaud, a long outer tunic with full skirts from the hip and sleeves that fitted tightly to the elbow and then flared into a trumpet shape. Early bliauts were moderately fitted and bloused slightly over the belt at the waist. Later the bliaut was fitted tightly to the body from shoulder to hip, and the belt or girdle was wrapped twice around the waist and knotted in front of the abdomen.

Men's clothing
"Gemini" from the Hunterian Psalter shows the twins in knee-length tunics over chausses and shoes with pointed toes. England, c. 1170
"Gemini" from the Hunterian Psalter shows the twins in knee-length tunics over chausses and shoes with pointed toes. England, c. 1170

Shirt, braies, and chausses

Underclothes consisted of an inner tunic (French chainse) or shirt with long, tight sleeves, and drawers or braies, usually of linen. Tailored cloth leggings called chausses or hose, made as separate garments for each leg, were often worn with the tunic; striped hose were popular.

During this period, beginning with the middle and upper classes, hose became longer and more fitting, and they reached above the knees. Previously, they were looser and worn with drawers that ranged from knee- to ankle-length. The new type of hose was worn with drawers that reached the knees or above, and they were wide enough at the top to allow the drawers to be tucked into them. They were held up in place by being attached to the girdle of the drawers.

The better fit and girdle attachment of this new hose eliminated the need for the leg bands often worn with earlier hose. In England, however, leg bands continued to be worn by some people, both rich and poor, right up to the reign of Richard I.  After 1200, they were largely abandoned.

Outer tunics and doublets

Over the undertunic and hose, men wore an outer tunic that reached to the knees or ankles, and that was fastened at the waist with a belt. Fitted bliauts, of wool or, increasingly, silk, had sleeves that were cut wide at the wrist and gored skirts. Men wore bliauts open to the waist front and back or at the side seams.

Newly fashionable were short, fitted garments for the upper body, worn under the tunic: the doublet, made of two layers of linen, and an early form of quilted and padded jupe or gipon.

The sleeveless surcoat or cyclas was introduced during this period as protective covering for armour (especially against the sun) during the Crusades.  By the next century, it would become widely adopted as civilian dress.

Rectangular and circular cloaks were worn over the tunic. These fastened on the right shoulder or at the center front.

Headgear

Men of the upper classes often went hatless. The chaperon in the form of hood and attached shoulder-length cape was worn during this period, especially by the rural lower classes, and the fitted linen coif tied under the chin appeared very late in the century. Small round or slightly conical caps with rolled brims were worn, and straw hats were worn for outdoor work in summer.

It could be me but this fashion description pretty much matches Leon.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 07:40:03 PM »

Uh...yeah. Believe it or not, men were effeminate back in the day.

That doesn't look like a scene from the 11th century to me.

Yeah we had little girlish squire boys and some fancy-pantsy kings, but the common folk and the soldiers and knights did not dress like that. When I think of 11th century I think of the world torn by religious misunderstandings and thus war. This was the age where a man would kill another if his girl was besmirched -- a world of knights and nobles fighting for just causes, ow what they thought was anyway.

The common folk wore simple tunics -- most of their attire was cheap, simple and functional. They could not afford much else.

If you're talking nobles. OK. But Leon was not just a noble, he was a knight. Knights were anything but effeminate.

On a side note: Leon's costume was too flamboyant for his times, but I sure like its design.

Have you ever seen depictions of angels or saints? Ever wonder why you could never tell if they were male or female?

Most of these paintings were done during the renaissance, and by that time the fashion was definitely more effeminate. But art of the mideval era looked more like this:

The art of the mideval era was demure, droll, morbid even. A sign of the times really. This is the whole reason the renaissance is named so. It was a rebirth in the arts and society from the crap above.

but...

yeah that's pretty freakin effeminate.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 07:50:35 PM by A N T R A X X »

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 08:00:38 PM »
That doesn't look like a scene from the 11th century to me.

warfreak said up to the 1800's.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 08:07:27 PM by Azmodan »
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 08:04:54 PM »
In Reply To #23

Yeah the upper class could be fancy schmancy, cuz they had the money to do so. I'm reminded of the King of York from "Braveheart." He had eyeliner and a boyish wig.

'Course that took place in 14th century, though.

Offline James Belmont

• Dude
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 06:56:39 AM »
I've always felt that when it comes to a game or a movie that depicts the supernatural, the further you ground a world in reality, the more amazing the supernatural aspects seem in contrast. I'll take someone who looks like he could have walked right out of the respective era over someone that looks like a fairy tale any day.

I don't care if there are some ugly people in realistic art. There are ugly people in the real world, too, so it shouldn't be such a problem.

As for effeminate men, there's a difference between the effeminate men that actually existed and the men depicted in most CV artwork. I doubt you could travel back in time and see all sorts of men with dagger-shaped chins and wardrobes that are waaaaaay too elaborate to make sense.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I've always felt that when it comes to a game or a movie that depicts the supernatural, the further you ground a world in reality, the more amazing the supernatural aspects seem in contrast.

Offline Beowulf

• Belmont Wanna-be
  • Hunter in Training
  • SOUL STEAL
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
I hate to say to tell you all the truth, Castlevania has gone down the crapper since the anime art came in the games. It completely killed the Castlevania feel to it, especially the characters that IGA has set has killed it. When I first played Castlevania it had a dark type of feel to the game, and the original arts (Castlevania - Castlevania Bloodlines games) were awesome, I loved it! Castlevania Symphony of the Night's art were also unbelievable as well... but after that the games just started to die and get worse. And really I dont care what the characters are really suppose to look like, but the Belmonts were not to look like they were female characters. There were bad ass looking warriors. Simon would be the perfect example! He did not at all look like a chick, you could take one look at him and go, "yup its a dude" but if you look at Soma for the first time, you would be like "Dude thats a hot chick" (when people made that mistake, I rolled on the floor laughing) until you find out its a guy and you blow your brains out. You can all go "F*** you man!" but hey, thats how I feel about it, but it does not mean I hate Castlevania, Its still my most favorite game in the world... its just dying. Castlevania was, how I look, suppose to be like Castlevania IV and SOTN than DOS and POR

But I like this better

Than this

and this

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 08:44:46 PM by CastlevaniaLord58 »
Dear Konami. Where is my Castlevania?

Offline Algernon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »
I hate all things anime, and I prefer a realistic style.

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »
leon is okay, but I think characters like Soma was too girlie lookin, given the time line and all.  Juste was a bunch strange since he looks more like Alucard's illegiment child than the grandchild of Simon.  I would prfer a bunch of a mixture of Simon and Juste's design to make the transition better, but than again that is me.

As for ppl lookin girlie in the past, I thought only the upper class looked like that and I wouldn't think the Belmonts were upper class especially how they hunt monsters for a living..

TRON

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 10:38:01 PM »
Personally, I like Kojima's Soma. From the three images above, the first one looks too much a-la Marvel/DC comic book character. The second one I stared for a long time appreciating the beauty. The third one, I kept blinking hoping it would go away.

Main reason, after all these years, I keep playing Magic The gathering is because the artwork just keeps increasing in quality. Take my avatar for example:

Or simply any other card from the game:

You can see where I'm getting at. The main reason I stopped playing other card games (YuGiOh) was because the artwork was comparable to sewer water.

What I mean to say is: I want Kojima back. I like her bi-shounen style, after all, Belmonts are supposed to be crafted to perfection to go against the ultimate evil.

warfreak

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 01:53:37 AM »

I hate to say to tell you all the truth, Castlevania has gone down the crapper since the anime art came in the games. It completely killed the Castlevania feel to it, especially the characters that IGA has set has killed it. When I first played Castlevania it had a dark type of feel to the game, and the original arts (Castlevania - Castlevania Bloodlines games) were awesome, I loved it! Castlevania Symphony of the Night's art were also unbelievable as well... but after that the games just started to die and get worse. And really I dont care what the characters are really suppose to look like, but the Belmonts were not to look like they were female characters. There were bad ass looking warriors. Simon would be the perfect example! He did not at all look like a chick, you could take one look at him and go, "yup its a dude" but if you look at Soma for the first time, you would be like "Dude thats a hot chick" (when people made that mistake, I rolled on the floor laughing) until you find out its a guy and you blow your brains out. You can all go "F*** you man!"
Well I don't think Belmonts are supposed to look alike. Just because they're from the same bloodline doesn't mean they're alike. Maybe Simon is all manly and badass but Juste is just effeminate, it's like that. o_O

As for Soma, considering the timeline, he could be very effeminate. It's 2035. We don't know what can happen in the next 27 years. For all we know, teenagers' fashion by then could be all about effeminate men. o_O

As for ppl lookin girlie in the past, I thought only the upper class looked like that and I wouldn't think the Belmonts were upper class especially how they hunt monsters for a living..
Leon, at least, was a baron, therefore upper class. We don't know about the others, though. Richter might have been upper class, considering his new DXC clothing.

Tags:

anything