Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Original Rondo of Blood/Nocturne in the Moonlight  (Read 8445 times)

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Original Rondo of Blood/Nocturne in the Moonlight
« on: May 22, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »
Well, even though I have the Dracula X Chronicles, I would still like to own the original PC Engine Rondo of Blood, just for collecting's sake. But I am a bit confused. What on Earth is a PC Engine? Does that just mean a regualr PC, as in Computer? Or is some sort of console? And if so, do I need a Japanese import version of this console?

On a different note, I also want to buy the Japanese Sega Saturn version of SotN, Nocturne in the Moonlight, again, for collection's sake. I know that I also have to have a Japanese region coded Sega Saturn console. But what I don't know is if Sega Saturn requires a memory card to save games. And if I do need a memory card for this, does it also have to be Japan import?
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Original Rondo of Blood/Nocturne in the Moonlight
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
In Reply To #1

NEC's PC Engine was actually the third contender in the 16-bit wars, and the ironic thing was it was the first to come out. Techincally it only sported an 8-bit processor, but it had a 16-bit gfx chip. It never made it's identity truly noticeable against the Sega Genesis or the Super Nintendo abroad, but it sold nicely in Japan. It featured little HU-CARDs as cartridges (literally just little cards), and later it would of course include a full-function CD-ROM reader, and this is when the games for the system started getting some truly awesome soundtracks, due to the high quality the CD system allowed.

more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboGrafx-16#Limitations_in_the_16-bit_era

The Saturn just needs a special ram card in order to play/save imports.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:55:43 PM by A N T R A X X »

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
In Reply To #2

So I need a Japanese import TurboGrafx-16 to play Rondo, If I can even find that? And if I do find both, will I need anything else to run/save the game?

And about the Saturn, do you mean that I don't need a Japan import to run NitM? If I have some special ram card, I can still play it on a US version? And does this ram card also save the game data, or does the system itself do that? And is this special ram card easy to put in, meaning is it really something I'm supposed to be tinkering with? And what exactly is this ram card, meaning what special type is it? Would it just be easier to buy a Japan import? And if I do that, will I still need something to save data to, or does it just save to the system?

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 04:59:24 PM »
As for original rondo of blood, you can use an emulator like magic engine, which if I not mistaken, the current version runs the game perfectly.

As for NITM, all you need is a converter to play imports.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:01:49 PM by le052383 »

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:07:26 PM »
In Reply To #2

And about the Saturn, do you mean that I don't need a Japan import to run NitM? If I have some special ram card, I can still play it on a US version? And does this ram card also save the game data, or does the system itself do that? And is this special ram card easy to put in, meaning is it really something I'm supposed to be tinkering with? And what exactly is this ram card, meaning what special type is it? Would it just be easier to buy a Japan import? And if I do that, will I still need something to save data to, or does it just save to the system?

Wow, you have a lot of questions!  As for the special ram cart, it is extra ram fo rht esystem.  It allowz games like marvel super heroes vs street fighter and SFA3 to be indentical to the arcade version whereas all the features and frames are kept in. 

With that said, this cart is required even if you decide to get a japanese saturn.  Probably be easier to get an american version and a pro action replay so as you can play both japanese and american games w/o spendin a lot of money.

As for where you insert the ram in.  It goes in the slot just above the cd tray (if lookin at the system in a bird's eye view.) 

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »
Also, before you go off and buy any action replay device for the saturn, be sure to get the PLUS version.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:19:47 PM by le052383 »

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »
In Reply To #6

Oh, I see. So, all I need to play NitM is that pro action replay plus, an American Sega Saturn, and of course the Japanese game disk? So with those three things, I'm all set to play both American and Japanese Saturn games on an American system, and be able to save?

Thanks to everybody who helped me out, I feel a lot better now.

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 05:45:59 PM »
In Reply To #6

Oh, I see. So, all I need to play NitM is that pro action replay plus, an American Sega Saturn, and of course the Japanese game disk? So with those three things, I'm all set to play both American and Japanese Saturn games on an American system, and be able to save?

Thanks to everybody who helped me out, I feel a lot better now.
Yup, though after rechecking the 4mb capability list, I am mistaken. A 4mb ramcart isn't needed for NITM.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »
Yeah, the battery, should you need to replace it, is in the back of the console.

It's a pretty standard watch-size battery.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:10:09 PM »
In Reply To #8

Alright. All that I really plan to play is NitM. So the link you gave me is exactly the action replay plus that I need?

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 06:16:14 PM »
In Reply To #8

Alright. All that I really plan to play is NitM. So the link you gave me is exactly the action replay plus that I need?

Yup, the one pictured

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 06:17:43 PM »
Just... don't go expecting anything too great with NitM. There's new content, but there's many more issues that should have been cleaned up before release.

The best part is prolly the new music.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »
In Reply To #11

Great. Thank you so much.

In Reply to #12

Yeah, I know, but I still want to someday own everything Castlevania there is, and Nocturne in the Moonlight has some stuff that are just too good for me to pass up(for example the(unforunately small) exclusive areas, Richter, Alucard, and Maria playable straight from the beginning, and some other stuff that was probable released on the PSP version, but it still want the original. Oh yeah, and there's also that awesome artwork on the manual!).

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »
The Action Replay 4MB Cart is a godsend, not only being able to save my saves on it (my Saturn has a new battery and all, but for some reason it won't save that way), but it opens up an entire new library of games for you, imports. I've started a small modest Japanese Saturn import collection, perhaps down the line I can break down and buy and play yet another version of SotN/NitM again.

Playing import games has never been easier (unless you're talking portable systems).

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »
One final question, is there any possible way, through decoding/cheating/etc. that I could possible play this on my American PS2?
http://cgi.ebay.com/AKUMAJOU-AKUMAJO-DRACULA-CASTLEVANIA-JAPAN-IMPORT-PS2_W0QQitemZ130174369793QQihZ003QQcategoryZ139973QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tags:

anything